SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

dealing with chin hair

Rudebekia
18 years ago

As I get older I realize a few hairs on my chinny chin chin are getting too obvious. Short of shaving what is the best means of removal for someone with sensitive skin?

Comments (42)

• socks
    18 years ago

Can you remove them with tweezers?

• eccentric
    18 years ago

I use the tweezer method. First get the magnifying mirror and then try and find a discreet place that allows direct sunlight - you will find that you have more hairs to pluck than at first thought - regular light won't show them all. So then you get in the car and look in the car mirror and see the strays in all of their glory. Also need to watch out for the white hairs - they are very strong and really show up under eye shadow.

• Related Discussions

Chin Hair tweezing causing skin problems??

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm not sure what you mean by saying that your skin is definitely showing the signs of tweezing. Do you tend to nick your skin often when tweezing and small scars developed? In any case, a dermatologist will be able to assess what is the best means to improve your skin. If you use a depilatory in the mean time, make sure you select one for facial hair, as the ones for leg hair would be too strong for your face and could really irritate your skin.
    ...See More

women's razor for upper lip and chin hairs

Q

Comments (17)
    Not everyday, only when I remember to check to see if there are hairs. I use a nose trimmer also, but I need to find something with a little more power. I guess I don't regret starting to shave because what is the alternative? Pluck? ouch, Bleach? have a bushy white upper lip and cat whiskers coming out of the mole on my lower jaw?? Maybe laser, but I think it's expensive at least around here. My BF bleaches sometimes and it looks awful. I mean really awful, the bleaching doesn't look good at all if the hair is long - moustache and beard long. She told me one time "but if I shave, it'll come in black". I agree, but.
    ...See More

Can we talk face hairs...

Q

Comments (39)
    As for the stubble question...the only place I have any actual feel of stubble is where the stupid chin whiskers are. The hair on the rest of my face is soft so when it starts growing back it doesn't feel or look like coarse hair. Since the ends are blunt cut it feels different to touch but it's fine and doesn't look weird. I don't shave every day. I'm actually not sure how often I even do it. And there's nothing wrong with peach fuzz, btw. I just think my makeup looks nicer on the smooth skin. I will say shaving does get a little tricky under my ear/side burn area. I have to be careful so it doesn't look strange there. Shaving my face isn't something I do in the shower with no mirror because of that. I totally laughed at the chin ringlet. Cindy - I've heard that about that about the gray. Some of mine seem to be partially gray now. I've been looking around recently and reading up on cost and how many treatments are recommended. Then there's the possible negatives of scarring, etc. Like anything else I know it's important to find someone who knows what they're doing. Still need to research more, but I'd like to have it done in the next few years. I made a promise to my mom if she's ever unable to take care of her chin area I'd come to the rescue! I don't like to use the word hate but I do hate chin whiskers. So not fair. It's most frustrating if you can't grab the hair or it breaks off. Ah! I need new tweezers actually. Texanjana - That has me concerned. I've heard it doesn't work on all people and I wonder why. I suppose there could be many different factors. Has she seen any decrease in hair or the coarseness of it? Lisa - LOL That one hair...that's how it starts. :) I seriously started having this chin hair issue when I was 29. I know other people in their 20s and 30s dealing with this too.
    ...See More

Hair products for short hair

Q

Comments (28)
    If you want the spiky look, then mousse would probably give you the finish you want. My hair has gotten some curl in it which tends to get unruly in the summer, so I've found "It's a 10" leave in conditioner which seems to control and add a lot of shine. I get the walmart equate version though. I figure if it's popular enough for walmart to copy it, it must be well received in general. This is me on vacation in ID, just toodling around...I also don't color my hair...never have and am delighted to not have to start...yet anyway. But short hair is wonderful. It takes me 30 sec to dry my hair and go. Last thing I want to do is complicate my life. Congrats on the new do!
    ...See More
  • elsie80
    18 years ago

I'm 67 years old, and I've finally reached the conclusion that shaving is the best solution to my facial hair - cheeks - chin and also upper lip area. Waxing for me causes ingrown hairs. Plucking sort of works, but it doesn't get it all by any manner of means. And the white hairs that pop up are like steel wool. So now, I use the electric shaver that my Dad gave me when I was 17 - Sunbeam and still works great - about every other week, and when the white wires pop (I feel for them regularly) I do pluck those. I do agree that we shouldn't be embarrassed about shaving. but so far I have hidden it from my life partner. He has had a beard for 30 years, because he hates shaving, but he trims it carefully, and does it fairly well. I guess I need to draw on my courage and tell him I shave! Bet he'll say "Good solution" Shall I let you all know?

• socks
    18 years ago

Yes Elsie, let us know how it goes! LOL!

Eccentric is right about plucking in a "discreet" place. Daylight is the best, but I remember a neighbor used to go outside and put her mirror on the trunk of her car and pluck there with all the neighbors able to watch. Ugh!

• sable_ca
    18 years ago

I tweeze, but every so often I get fed up and go for electrolysis. The only place it's uncomfortable is on the upper lip. I try to time visits with going to the dentist. He freezes my upper lip and then I head straight to my electrolysist and ask for a half hour. That takes care of all of them for quite awhile. A dermatologist is the person to ask for a recommendation.

• msmagoo
    18 years ago

Does electrolysis get rid of the hair permanently?

• sable_ca
    18 years ago

Permanently? Not 'forever', but for a long time. I had electrolysis done on my upper lip when I was 20 (no other little hairs were visible then), again when I was around 38, then again, along with some nasty chin hairs, when I was 48 or so. Now, over a decade later, I have almost no upper lip hair, but those darn little chin hairs are growing in faster than I'd like, so will probably go back for more. If I feel discomfort - okay, some pain - my electrolysist turns down the zapper, but then the hair may grow back, albeit thinner and lighter. So it lengthens the treatment somewhat. I think electrolysis is a great solution, not all that expensive and gives you years of freedom! Just check with your dermatologist. Also make sure that the electrolysist designates a new needle just for you (in a holder with your name on it). All the good ones do, in fact, it may be required by law now.

• eccentric
    18 years ago

Elsie80 - glad to read that you also enjoy the thrill of the wire like white hair. Actually I had a book written by ex-model Dayle Haddon who was in her 50s at time it was written. She devoted a good section to just this subject -gave all of her girlfriends magnifying mirrors for Christmas. She really stressed the white hairs - actually I find that sometimes I can see them in not as bright a light as the darker hairs - but sure can feel them. I also have naturally wavy hair so many become ingrown with very strong roots.

• jannie
    18 years ago

I have three or four of these chin hairs. When I was younger, they were brown and I could tweeze them easily. Now they come in white and stiffer,but they're hard to see. I have a full length-mirror on a closet door near a window. That's my preferred plucking place.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

another tweezer here - swear byt Tweezerman, I might add !

have a pointed pair and a slant pair at home, and keep a mini pair in my desk drawer at work for the ones I don't catch at home...

mine are mostly gray (ironic, at 36) and thankfully, they're UNDER my chin, but they're really the only thing that I won't tolerate :)

• kim_okla
    18 years ago

So far I have one chin hair. Stiff as a wild boar's hair. Of course I never feel it at home, usually discover it at work.

I have the fuzzy blond hair all over my face. I say I need to wear makeup just to make it lay down.

One of the funniest thing I read on here was, it's not fair we lose our eyesight at the same time we get chin hair.

• cindyandmocha
    18 years ago

Elsie, I totally agree with shaving. I've been doing it for years now. Waxing just cannot take care of this hair, and plucking?? I'd be in front of the mirror 24/7 still plucking.

I'm looking into laser hair removal since it's become so much cheaper now. It is suppose to work well on fair skin with dark hair, which is what I have. I spoke with the plastic surgeon, and I can continue to shave during the process also. It should take care of about 85% of the hair I have. That would be a miracle.

I love my electric razor. Don't be afraid to let DH know you use one. Mine knows and is fine with it. I'm sure it beats getting razor stubble burn when we kiss.

I also give a vote for keeping one of those $5 disposable battery operated shavers in your purse or glove compartment. I get mine at Walmart and it is called "Shaveman". Looks just like a normal electric razor -- but at $5 its disposable.

I got one and it really does do a great job -- just as good as an expensive electric shaver. If I'm going out to dinner after work, I give a little once over to my chin and neck to make sure I'm not sporting a five o-clock shadow in my pretty high heels.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

For those of you that shave -

I have soft peachfuzz looking hair all over my cheeks. I have been waxing it but shaving sounds so much easier.

Does it come in 'stubbly' or will the soft hair still be soft?

• good36
    18 years ago

Waxing is the easiest and fastest in my opinion. I do my own waxing at home. I buy my wax at the Sally's beauty store and it last forever. You might want to go to a salon to have it done the first time. I think it cost about $6.oo for the chin in my area. Chin waxing is almost painless. It's the upper lip that gets me!
    Judy

• bonelady
    18 years ago

I have my upper lip waxed about every 3-4 weeks when I get a manicure. She plucks my chin hair with a tweezer. She can get them all and I can't see to do it.

The cost is only about $7.00 and well worth it ! Those hairs grow in little clumps and there are more ofthem all of the time!

• goldy
    17 years ago

how many men do you know that have wrinkles?Not many.Why?Because they shave.In shaving you get rid of dead skin.I have been shaving my chin and face for 40 years.I'm 76 and no wrinkles.Try it you will like it.

• cbarkston
    17 years ago

I've done electrolysis treatments in my 20s and again in my 30s. Hair all grew back. In my 40s I tried laser hair removal--I am the perfect candidate---light skin, dark hair. The hair came back even faster than after the electrolysis treatments. I now shave daily. My husband doesn't know. One day I was talking about exfoliation with one of my female co-workers. A male counterpart chimed in---"I don't need exfoliation---I shave!" So shaving does have its extra side benefits...

• bouncingpig
    17 years ago

I had been under the belief of the old myth, that if you shave it will come in thicker and coarser. About a year ago I read that that is simply not true . . . the hair folicles are not changed by a surface shave. So I tried it. I shave my lip and my chin and it is always soft and perfect! Makes my make-up look much smoother too. I have yet to fess this up to my husband! He just thinks my complexion got better! LOL!

Brenda

• socks
    17 years ago

When you shave doesn't it come back all prickly looking like your legs do?

• bouncingpig
    17 years ago

No it comes back soft, because we have soft facial hair not whiskers there. Whiskers come from hormone or testostorine changes, not by shaving frequently. That is truly a wives tale. Other than my one "whisker" that has driven me mad for years, all my other hair is still soft and light colored.

• goldy
    17 years ago

Shave it off.You will fined your face will be so much smoother.Do you see men with wrinkles?Not many.When you shave you get rid of dead skin and dead skin causes wrinkles.After shaveing my chin I run the razor over the rest of my face.My skin is so soft it's like baby skin and I'm over the hill.

• bouncingpig
    17 years ago

If this helps you to be a believer in shaving, I recently read that both Christy Brinkley and Heather Locklear shave their chins and lips! Truly it is a simple solution and much gentler on the skin than those hair removal cremes that make your face burn. I am a true believer!

Brenda

• dorkbitz
    17 years ago

I tried shaving my chin for awhile but had lots of problems with ingrown hairs. I figured that maybe I just wasn't exfoliating enough, but then decided to go back to plucking. The problem is that I basically obsess about it all day long. I check them in the morning, feel for them during the day, then go for another round of plucking after I take my make up off. My mom and grandma both have chin hair which has grown denser as they aged. I am 25 now and pluck while they both shave. Maybe that's just where I'm headed: from the tweezers to the razor. Ugh... I shave my upper lip, but I would never confess to my partner that I shave my chin. I guess it just seems stealthier to pluck....

• coolmama
    17 years ago

What about vaniqa, that skin creme that is supposed to inhibit facial hair growth? I wax my face right now,and like how that works.
    I dont know about shaving your face...my mom said she was for a while and started growing a beard when she stopped!

• arkansas girl
    17 years ago

Once again...shaving will not make hair thicker! This is an old wives tale and frankly is quite silly if you think about. Just think if shaving made hair thicker there would be no bald men...they could just shave there heads a few times and voila...thick full hair...HAHAHA! What does happen is the thicker hairs will be blunt and stubbly but on those, I prefer to tweeze...I use a shaver all the time for the peach fuzz...have been for years...a shaver cannot affect the hair folicle which is what's responsible for if a hair is thick or fine or black or white. Hormones are most likely responsible for if someone notices a sudden increase in hairs and let me tell you..this can happen seemingly over night!!!!! If someone is shaving and they notice the hair getting thicker and thicker...it's not from shaving, it's from hormones!

• coolmama
    17 years ago

I disagree with you for one reason.Shaving CUTS hair at an angle that makes it APPEAR more course and thick. Waxing actually rips the whole hair out causing it to grow in thinner and finer looking. So,while it may not actually CHANGE the hair,it has an effect on how it looks when it grows in.

• arkansas girl
    17 years ago

What I actually said was shaving course hair will make it feel blunt and stubbly (when it first grows back). It is scientifically impossible for shaving to make you have more hair! That's a huge myth. Waxing and tweezing actually does make the hairs finer and sometimes they will actually stop growing back.

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

I shave with an electric razor. The hairs seem to grow in softer if I use an electric razor rather than a blade.

I have a friend who had dark course chin hairs and a dark moustache. She had the laser hair removeal done and is quite pleased. No more hair. Forever. She is mad at herself for not doing it sooneer and all the years and years she spent money on electrolysis and it always grew back.

• bookmom41
    17 years ago

Has anyone tried the funny-looking Epicare? It is a little spring with handles which is rolled back and forth over the area (faces only) with excess hair and it pulls the hair out by the roots. IMO, better than waxing, at least for me, because it doesn't cause a rash or bumpiness, not even redness . It claims to be similar to threading.

• hamster
    16 years ago

Well girls, I have been using VANIQA for @ 6 weeks now. I got a presc. from the dermo. It is spendy @ $85 a tube. You apply it am and pm. I have been plucking my 'stouche for years 2X a day with a magnifying mirror/sunny window. (hair grew in very fast). I am happy to report that after @ 30 days of being very faithful with the VANIQA that I am down to plucking only a couple times a week and finding very few hairs. I have been putting it on my chin/jawline for the same time and have not noticed any difference there BUT I have never done any hair removal in those places because the hair at those places were blond. So I am thinking if I remove those hairs (chin/jawline) that the result should be the same as the upper lip. To make a long story short, I am a believer on the VANIQA. No side effects. I think this tube will last 4 to 5 months so it's not a huge expense.

• coolmama
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing hamster! That is great to know! Can I ask,did you notice any side effects,like burning or maybe some small pimples or anything? Just curious cuz I have very sensitive skin.So glad it is working out for you.I have been wanting to try it for years now.

• hamster
    16 years ago

coolmama- I have not noticed any side effects. I was cautious as I have been known to react to certain things. The dermo said to use 2X a day but I started out by using 1X a day for a few days and everything was fine so I have been doing it 2X for almost 2 months now. I didn't notice any drying, burning,etc. I'm not sure yet but I may use a depilitory on the rest of my face (as I have never done that before). I very carefully put a small amount in the eyebrow area and have noticed a big difference there also. I believe for the VANIQA to work, the hair has to be eliminated first because I have been putting it on my jawline and I don't see any difference. My jaw line is blond peach fuzz. What does everyone else do with theirs (if it is just peach fuzz)? Like I said, insurance doesn't cover it and it is $85 for @ a 1oz. tube. I think it will last me @ 6 months if I continue to put it on my jawline too. The instructions say to really rub it in. Otherwise, if you just put it on the upper lip..it will last forever. If you quit using it, it is my understanding,that the hair will return to the pre VANIQA.

• coffeegal
    16 years ago

I tried epicare and it's been one of the best things I've ever spent my money on. It takes only one min to do my upper lip, and a couple of minutes for my chin & jawline. I have lots of peach fuzz. Initially it hurt but I got used to it. best of all, I don't need to use a mirror to remove all that hair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicare Facial Hair Remover

• coolmama
    16 years ago

Sounds pretty decent hamster,I think I will try it!

• coffeegal
    16 years ago

As I get older, I noticed that my eyesight is not as sharp, and that I am sprouting more facial hair. I use Epicare which has been great as I do not have to look in a mirror. I see from the other posts that many women shave. In my opinion, I think that only very light-hair women can shave as their hair seem to come back light and soft. I have dark hair and even when I plucked or tweezed, my hair would grow back dark and I have some thick dark hair on my chin that no matter what I do, they still come back thick and dark. So, I would be afraid to shave for fear of walking around with a beard. So far, Epicare has been the best for me. It's really inexpensive and does what I need to get done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicare Facial Hair Remover

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

MANY (about 25) years ago I bought an Epilady. I have been using (and loving it) on my legs for all these years. Now I've been seeing the ads for Epicare. A light went off in my head and I thought, "Why can't I use my Epilady the same way?" I tried it and it works just fine. Problem solved for me.

• jsam
    15 years ago

I have many coarse white hairs. When I pluck them, it pulls the skin out and then I have this rough, flaky skin. The hairs also cause bumps. My chin looks awful. Sometimes, they also get infected. Does anyone have any advice. I just have not been able to conquer this problem.
    Thanks.

• alexskinnertosh123456_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I had hair above my lip and i used my Viss beauty home IPL hair removal unit for it. It worked perfectly. No harm to my skin and worked after treating it 2 times! and at home so no embarrassment! It was definitely worth the money ( www.vissbeauty.com ) its safe and worked for me! so i thought i would let you know!

• marxa_05_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I started growing hair on my chin when I was only 14 but it was only one hair. I trimmed it and then later on they started to scatter but they're not thick. Now I'm 17, my dad said to pluck it.

I'm afraid that if I pluck it, it might get thicker and it might scatter.

Which is better continue trimming or pluck it?

• egrimm2012
    11 years ago

I have to shave daily. I can feel the course hairs growing by noon. I use a 4 blade razor and shaving cream. I would love to feel a smooth chin. My hair is white so not a candidate for laser. You'd think that by now they would of invented something. I know there are many more like me that just want the smooth feel of a baby's but on our chins. Right ladies? I wonder if I invest in an electric razor that would make a difference... I highly doubt it. Thanks grandma for the beard genes... lol

• crackermoo
    10 years ago

Interesting to read so many women who shave their peach fuzz.

I have peach fuzz on my cheeks but quite a few long brown hairs on my "moustache" and lots of real coarse hairs on my chin.

I've had a couple of rounds of electrolysis. I went weekly for a year about a decade ago and then waxed for ten years and now I've recently started electrolysis again. I don't know if the electrolysis helps or not. The "zaps" sure sting! But it seems that the hair comes back just as quickly as ever.

Has anyone had any success with electrolysis?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists