Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to lengthen a cocktail dress?

Posted by purpleaa (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 1, 08 at 17:28

I've got a great dress, but it is kind of short for my age. It's black with a slightly flared bottom, all the same fabric (some sort of crepe-like fabric). It hits me mid-thigh right now. I'd like to lengthen it to knee-length or just above the knee.

I'm not totally opposed to lace, but it's not my favorite thing. Plus I don't think it would lay correctly, since it's not a straight skirt.

I was thinking of something in an opaque solid fabric, just adding an extra "stripe" of fabric at the bottom. If I wear black stockings, how would it look if I did this in a color, like deep ruby? Too much? Should I stick with black? I'm going for a sophisticated/classy look, but not too old.

Are there other options I'm not thinking of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to lengthen a cocktail dress?

Oh, I guess there's no way to edit posts here. I forgot to say, I have a very long satin jacket in a dark ruby that I may want to wear with it.

o

What about making it even shorter and wearing it as a top paired with a nicely fitted slim skirt the right length in a pretty color you like? It thank that would end up looking better. And not at all like you added fabric to lengthen a dress.

o

Thanks for your response. I took a look at it and this won't work for this particular dress. I think I'll take a trip to the fabric store and see if I can find similar fabric along with a contrasting fabric. What I could do is make one stripe of a contrasting fabric and finish it with a similar/matching fabric at the bottom. Maybe that would look like it was intended.

I will post a pic if I end up doing this.

o

You could also ask your question over on the sewing forum.

o

It was a thought. It would have be the right shape to work as a top. I look forward to seeing what you do. Will you need to lengthen the lining, too?

I did an image search for two piece cocktail or formal dresses and found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Bill Blass

o

I would stick with a black color whatever you decide, that way you will keep the flexibility you get with basic black going with so many other things.

o

If the original fabric is matte, a shiny fabric to lengthen would look good...if the orig. is shiny, try a matte or a lightweight velvet.
I would also stay with black...
My niece is over 6' tall, so we do a lot of lengthening around here :^)
Good luck...

o

hmmm, that vintage Bill Blass number is really pretty. I had to close the tab so I wouldn't buy it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here