Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-Tanners

Posted by BeverlyAL (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 04 at 10:30

I have used several brands of self-tanners and have been allergic to all of them. I can use each of them a week or two and then they start make my legs itch. I've used Avon, Clinique and several others. I've tried Neutrogena once but it isn't very good and I can't find it anymore. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions as to one that is hypoallergenic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-Tanners

Looks like I may as well move this on down.

o

Beverly, check out a book by Paula Begoun called 'Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me'. She also has a website called cosmetics cops (link below). She analyzes cosmetics and stuff by ingredients and debunks a lot of the BS. She has discussed tanning lotions. Also has a hair care book. Great consumer advocate. She has her own skin care line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paula Begoun's site

o

Thanks Jessy! I will do just that.

Speaking of those cosmetics, I once heard a scientist talking about cosmetics that are supposed to something special to your skin. He said there is no such thing as some of the ingredients listed on the jar.

o

I have also used serveral self-tanners and have been allergic to them all. I have even tried hypoallergenic self-tanners but still get a horrible rash from them that can last a couple of weeks. Have you had any luck with self-tanners since posting your lost post?
I now think its the dha added in self-tanners. This it the main ingreient in all self-tanners. Anyway I have an appointment with the dermatoligist later this week to find out what I'm allergic to. Lets hope its not the dha or I wont be able to use any self-tanners apart from the bronzers that wash off or fade by the end of the day.

o

If I shave and then use them right after, I get a horrible rash. Using an electric razor helped me, waiting a day later, and using fake bake has given me the least amount of bumps and looks dark after one application. My fav so far.

o

I want to try this, but have to sell my Jet Tan first. If anyone decides to purchase it...please let me know.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Famous Daves Self-Tanner

o

Same for me!! I always break out in a hive type rash! there must be an ingedient I am allergic to. I have tried several brands and even the more expensive department store ones and get the same rash.I am thinking of trying a spray tan but i am afraid the same thing will happen.
I guess we have to use the sun but that is not good or else embrace being pale, which is no fun either!

o

I too have tried MANY self tanners and every single one of them makes my legs itch, which drives me crazy, so I don't use them. If anyone knows of one that doesn't have that effect, please let me know. I'm also going to check on the "DHA" ingredient mentioned above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here