SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

eyebrows - another question

caliloo
19 years ago

I hate to sound stupid... but what color are your eyebrows supposed to be?

I have always had very fine blonde hair(until recently when some grey started showing up here and there) and have always had very fine blonde eyebrows. On the occassional trip to Merle Norman (or other make-up seller) I have let the sales people do the "free make-up demo" which usually includes them putting some sort of brown-ish pencil in my brows to make them more noticeable. I usually don't do the brow pencil when I do my make-up because I think it makes me look a little like Tammy Faye, but whatever... I got the impression that brows were supposed to be a bit darker than the hair on ones head.

So a few days ago I went to get my hair cut and colored (covering the few greys that are coming in....) and the stylist brings the in-house aesthetician over so they can decide what color my brows should be dyed. I thanked them and said that it wasn't necessary, that I had several pencils at home I could use if I wanted my brows darker. They both got horrified looks on their faces and said my brows had a few greys too and should be lightened to match my hair - not made darker! I suggested an alternative might be to pluck the few grey eyebrow hairs so they would no longer be distracting and they agreed that was an acceptable solution.

However.... when I asked them why they recommended lightening my brows rather than pencil, they both said that eyebrows should be no more than 1/2 shade darker than the hair on your head (I was going a shade lighter than my own hair). I had never heard that before and it contradicts all the make-over advice I've ever gotten - which was to use pencil or shadow with a chisel brush - to create more noticeable eye-brows if they are light.

So - what color are your eye brows supposed to be?

Alexa

Comments (26)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm