SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liketolearn_gw

What is the difference between highlighting and frosting?

liketolearn
16 years ago

What is the difference between highlighting and frosting?

Is highlighting using bleach and frosting using color?

And what is low-lights and high-lights? Do they use bleach or color for these?

I want to get my hair colored but I'm confused about what to ask for. My hair was light blonde and as I've gotten older it's turned to a boring mousy brown that just doesn't look good on me. My hair is about shoulder-length with fine hair.

I tried highlighting but after awhile the bottom becomes all light hightlights and the top is mixed. Just didn't like it.

So for the last two years I've been using home coloring in an ash blonde but the color gets lighter on the ends over time of coloring it and the color looks flat. I'm ready for a change!

I'd like to go to a base color like my boring mousy brown but have caramel or blonde strands worked in. My hope is that upkeep will be to just have to add caramel/blonde streaks added as it grows out.

So what should I be asking for? I ask the stylist but the discussion that ensued left me deciding just to get my hair cut for now and wait on coloring. Part of the problem is my lack of knowledge and truthfully after our discussion I had serious doubts that she knew what to do. Lots of talk but no "best solution" was offered.

I need to understand all the terms so I can make sense of the options they are offering.

And can anyone tell me how to get my hair colored the way I want?

Comments (2)

Sponsored