SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pink_overalls

Mary Kay products any good?

pink_overalls
16 years ago

An acquaintance is selling Mary Kay products and has offered to demonstrate the cosmetics line on me. What do you ladies think of this line? I currently use Neutrogena Healthy Skin face lotion with sun screen, Neutrogena pore refining cleanser, Neutrogena Visibly Firm night cream, Maybelline Instant Age Rewind foundation, Cover Girl powder blush, Maybelline eye products, and Revlon lipsticks. I'm 65 and have dry skin. I don't want to buy from her if I won't continue using the products. I don't even want to ask for a demo if I don't think I'd buy them. Any opinions?

Comments (30)

• ramrice
    16 years ago

I haven't tried them in years! The main problem is that the sellers are somewhat fanatical about the products. In the past, they also wouldn't let you buy one product without buying another product that supposedly went along with it.

Try going to Paula Begoun's website. She is like a "Consumer Reports" type person who reviews makeup and skin care lines. Go to her website and select product reviews--she reviews both the skincare and makeup. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary kay reviews

• shaun
    16 years ago

I really like Mary Kay's eye makeup remover. That's the only thing I buy from them.

• Related Discussions

Kay Gray Grape training question Pictures

Q

Comments (3)
    There are many different ways to train grape vines, usually a grower will determine the best method based on variety and climactic conditions. I'm not familiar with Kay Gray and I am not sure where you are from, so it is hard to give advice. I'm guessing you are in zone 5 (would help to know where) and Kay Gray is a cold hardy variety? I prefer to grow the cordons low (like your pictures) and allow the canes to grow up to the top wire (VSP method). I grow mostly vinifera grapes, so they are more suited to that method. Usually labrusca (American) grapes have trunks up to the top wire and the canes hang down. Sometimes one trunk is used, sometimes two. Looks like I am not really answering any of your questions - the accurate answer is "it depends". One thing I notice in your photos is that the trunk is not straight (has a severe bend). That is usually not desirable because straight trunks help support some of the weight of the vines. It may work ok for you, but make sure it is securely attached to the trellis and that the trellis is very sturdy. Mature vines with a full fruit load can be very heavy. Finally, here is an article on grape growing that may answer some of your questions and it has some useful pictures: Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Growing
    ...See More

Any good ideas for wine corks?

Q

Comments (43)
    If I was doing a ceiling, I would get some thin plywood sheets, glue to corks to them, then screw them to the ceiling, rather than trying to stick corks up there one by one like Michelangelo doing a cork version of the Sistine Chapel. It sounds cool though! I've cut them in half using a bandsaw. Clamp a piece of PVC pipe just bigger than the corks, to the saw table, with the blade centered on the outlet of the pipe. Shove corks into it and halves come out the other end.
    ...See More

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...

Q

Comments (167)
    Oakley, American Robin eggs are blue, according to every book and website I have ever seen. There are other types of robins-could those be what you are referring to? The Cornell Lab of Ornithology says this:. "Egg Description: Sky blue or blue-green and unmarked." The Audubon Society agrees: "Usually 4, sometimes 3-7. Pale blue or 'robin's-egg blue.'" eta:. Sites like your link with the photos are not always accurate in their identifications. eta 2: love all the pictures and really, really want a couple of goats!
    ...See More

Any suggestions for good quality outdoor solar lanterns?

Q

Comments (19)
    My pictures were terrible. Sorry. The black one is from Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-Candle-Holder-Lantern-Black-Medium/846621906?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2300&adid=22222222277846621906_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-293946777986&wl5=9005966&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=846621906&wl13=2300&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlP7w5umY-AIV7jizAB2-KgK7EAQYASABEgLMb_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds The sisal ones came from Big Lots. https://www.biglots.com/product/woven-basket-led-candle-lantern/p810552370?pos=2:6&Ntt=Outdoor+lanterns
    ...See More
  • bud_wi
    16 years ago

Is this a *friend* trying to sell you stuff? Its amazing how "friends" who one hasn't heard from in years suddenly come out of the woodwork when they are selling something.

It sounds like you are very happy with your current products and not in a hurry to change.

My experience with MK products is that their eye shadows always crease. When you don't want to buy them anymore they will tell you they have "reformulated" them and they don't crease anymore. They LIE. They still crease.

They tell you that you "save money" buy buying their refillable make-up cases and just buying the refills. What they don't tell you, is that they change the styles of the make-up cases every so often so that the new refills do not fit in the older style cases and you have to buy a new style case.

Their lipstick are always dried up.

I buy their night cream, the stuff that looks like pink Vaseline, and I use it on my hands to protect them from the chemicals my hands come in contact with at work.

The rest of their stuff is overpriced and average quality. It is a hassle to order through a rep rather than getting make-up at the stores when it is convenient. The reps call all the time to try to get you to order more and more unneeded stuff.

You can buy MaryKay make-up off of eBay cheaper than from a rep.

BTW, the demos are usually done in groups. They try to develop a "herd mentality" that way.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I had a friend who sold it years ago, she had demo parties and we all had facials, the products were decent. I too liked that pink vaseline type cream.

From the products you mention using, you will find MK expensive; so if you are going to feel pressured to buy something, you'd be better off not letting her come in and spend time demonstrating her wares intensively, unless you tell her ahead of time and clearly that you might not buy anything.

• robbyrob
    16 years ago

The only product that I use is their eyeliner. It does stay on all day without smudging.

• cjm70142
    16 years ago

Ok , first I am a Mary Kay Consultant so you can think I a try to sell my product. I have only been a consultant for 3 years and before that time I had not used MK and I really did not use anything but soap and water on my face. I had a friend that sold and she invited my to a lunch and a on the go facial not party or group just 2 of us.
    I prefer small groups myself, I started using MK that day and I only pick out what I liked and bought it.No pressure , I know that the company pushes that and if your friend is your friend then she will not pressure you. I think that the skin care from MK is exceptional, there actually is something out there for everyone.
    I do not want to preach, just urge you to ask her for samples of the products you are interested in and try them, I give out lots of samples and I also give my compacts free to women who buy foundation. I know MK is expensive but if you compare to some of the products on Market it is comparable for what you get.
    Mary Kay has a wonderful products and also is a wonderful opportunity for some one that wants to work.
    One other thing if you buy and do not like the product or it doesn't work for you, you may return it at not cost to you.
    Mary Kay has a 100% return policy . what other company do that. So think about this . Carolyn

• kathya
    16 years ago

Actually, there is a 100% return policy on cosmetics just about everywhere (Macy's, Sephora, L&T...any major department store will take it back - even Costco). I have even returned items to Walgreen's and CVS. I am the queen of returns, so don't try to make it sound like only Mary Kay has a 100% return policy because that is not true.

Personally, I was a MK sales associate many years ago but got tired of their pep rallies at the required meetings and the pressure to bug your friends to give a party.

• sposaro
    16 years ago

One of our secretaries sells Mary Kay, but she does not seem to push the products at all. It took over 2 years to find out she sells them. Maybe it's because some people go to her during their break (the company would not like it, I'm afraid). Maybe outside of the work environment it's a different story, I don't know.
    I tried MK many years ago and was not crazy about them, found them too heavy and oily. But things may have changed. If you do decide to try them, let us know what you think of them!

• scarlett2001
    16 years ago

My one and only encounter with a MK rep - she leaned over really closely and asked me to look at her skin. "Very nice" I said politely.
    "Would you believe," she said triumphantly, "it used to be almost as bad as yours!"

Not a great sales approach, honey.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I think some of the products are pretty good, but way way way overpriced. Also, MK is multi level marketing, the few at the top are making the big bucks at the expense of the ones below them. All they do us pressure the consultants to stock inventory, whether they have the capability or customer base to sell it to or not...cause that is where the money is for the sales directors. As much as I adore the Timewise cleanser, I really don't want my money going to a company that operates that way.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I really liked their clay masque. It really helped my daughter who fought skin blemishes through her teens and twenties.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I think Avon sells products that are just as good, and cheaper. I'm not an Avon Lady or anything.

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

For 20 years I have bought their cleansing lotion and the eye makeup remover. It's right for me.
    But never plan to sell the stuff - that's for suckers. You have to invest in inventory at the beginning and if you are not serious about sales, I am sure they win and you lose.

• starz
    15 years ago

I thought they were too greasy

• julieofminn
    15 years ago

The last MK party I attended was the worst yet. I don't think I can suffer another one. After 1.5 hours of hearing the life story of the trainer and how MK changed her life, I had not heard a thing about the products. We finally passed a few things around and it was my misfortune to learn that the TimeWise facial cleanser had some irritating ingredient in it causing the back of my hand to burn and itch after a small amount was applied to it!

I have been to several other MK demos that were called free facials and they involved sampling lots of stuff on your face. There is some requirement tho, they MUST tell you the history of the real MK and how you too can sell MK and change your life before they open one lipstick.

I have found their website does not disclose their ingredients or the supposed medical research the trainer had often referred to in her presentation.

I have become a more informed consumer now. You can check out the book at the library by Paula Begouin, "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me." She has researched the ingredients of many cosmetic lines and keeps up with published dermatology journals and skin care advances. It has more information than one can absorb but I have not had a reaction from anything applied to my skin or hair since I have used only products given the smiley face in her ratings. She also has written a book about hair products. Neutrogena products almost all get smiley faces, meaning they are non-irritating and do what they are designed to do.

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

Mary Kay is actually a pretty decent product. I just personally hate MLM companies... I just want the product and go... unless I really have no clue how to use it... like make up is really self explanatory.... and this is from someone who's mom had the car! ;) LOL

I use to sell tools for woman... and although I love my tools & use them in many projects... I had to give up the business... I hate the party approach... I'd rather sell my creations!

• denyceturner_ymail_com
    13 years ago

I've tried so many cosmetic lines and I always go back to Mary Kay. All the colors compliment each other and when I decided to have a microderm abrasian done professionally, the doctor said that my skin was in fantastic condition, except for the sun damage that occured years ago. I say....You get what you pay for and the products are priced fairly. As for the operations of the company.....who cares as long as the outcome benifits the consumer. Give it a try and I am sure you won't regret it.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

sell Mary Kay, do you?

• zyzhai_live_cn
    13 years ago

Do you know if MK control toner contain alcohol? It says frangrance free but it has really strong alcohol scent though....I'm don't know if that good for my skin????

• RedTurtle
    12 years ago

Some good stuff, some bad, like any other line. But I don't buy much, mainly because the products are overpriced for the quality and the amount you get (small sizes) and because of the psycho sales people, I swear that company is like a cult. Creepy.

• Sheenarush_aol_com
    12 years ago

So many people complain how expensive the Mary Kay line is.. Yet most people pay more for MAC Cosmetics. Do you understand how bad that line is for your skin? I have been looking into Mary Kay and the quality is similar to department store quality and much cheaper. I am a makeup Artist and I have worked with celebrities and at Jose Eber Salon Beverly Hills. I have used many of the best lines, Bobbie Brown, MAC, Jane Iredale, Eve Pear, Makeup Forever , Smashbox... And the quality is comparable.... But cheaper! I have also looked into Arbonne who is 100% natural and getting amazing reviews on the skin care and makeup. The cost is very expensive! Makeup foundation is close to $40 and skincare over $60. You guys want a great product that gives results, natural quality engrediance, but are you willing to pay? I work in a salon and we work with reps all the time. My color complany is provided by a rep, the makeup lines we use are provided by sales reps. Every huge company has sales reps. Mary Kay and others are only sales reps for those companies. They only choose to never have a store and only sell through reps. I don't sell but anything but don't hate on people who are working. The makeup counter girls are all trying to sell you there also. Car sales men sell you on a car.

• nosyrosie
    12 years ago

Interesting thread. Babygirl54, your info is very enlightening. I just joined MK because my sister who is extremely enthusiastic did and I wanted to support her. Actually I love MK products. My mom used to sell them and every Christmas and birthday we'd get products - score! The lipstick is actually terrific. Now I'm going to be a terrible salesperson because I have no intention of bombarding all my friends with pressure to have parties, etc. I figure I'll just let people know I signed up and if they want anything I can order it for them. But, like anything, it's not for everyone. This is an old thread but I wanted to comment.

• bentleysuprr
    12 years ago

I think it's worth trying. If you have to try one thing, make sure it's the "Timewise"

• anastella
    11 years ago

I have been using Mary Kay cosmetics for several years, and I LOVE it!! Besides, I've read many Mary Kay reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/cosmetics.html) in the web, and I must say thousands of women like these cosmetics too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Kay reviews

• Meghan79
    11 years ago

Hi Ladies,
    Mary Kay products are amazing! And they are the best selling brand of skin care and color for years. As far as pricing goes, what is great is they are middle of the road price but are better than most expensive brands. I have been using MK for 9years and haven't looked back! Plus the 100% by back is fabulous... basically it is risk free!

Now I will say not all consultants are created equally, and it is unfortunate that, like in any business, some have ruined the reputation for the others. My advice is if you get a good vibe from the gal go for it! The products are amazing, just be sure you like the consultant!

• sameboat
    11 years ago

I definitely think the quality is there. I love it all, the moisturizers, cleansers, lipsticks, blush, all of it!

What I hate are the sales tactics. I know when I need makeup. I don't need a reminder. I don't need junk mail or junk email. I also don't need all my friends on Facebook to know I've just placed my MK order and that it will arrive soon. I'm pretty discreet about my grooming habits and purchases. If I need blush, I will buy blush. I don't need you to suggest anything else or ask me if I'm almost out of something I bought six months ago.

I also am not a salesperson nor do I want to be one. I don't want someone up my snot reminding me to make my purchase or persuading me to join their pink revolution. Ugh. So annoying!

• Donnachloe
    11 years ago

They're okay, but overpriced. If you want to spend a bit more for makeup and skincare, I would go with Estee Lauder, Lancome, Chanel, etc. But time and time again, I read in reviews that drugstore skincare especially is just as good as the more expensive products.
    I don't think the same is true about makeup however, but I found Mary Kay makeup yukky, like old-fashioned makeup from the 'sixties. Again, try department stores for good makeup, and stick to the skincare routines that come from the drugstore and you'll have the best of both worlds!
    Hugs, Donnachloe

• TrueLee
    10 years ago

Like with every product line and every service company out there, good and bad things are going to be experienced and said. The best you can do is be honest with your friend on your product/price concerns, and then take things from there. The truth of the matter is that a true friend isn't going to dictate your friendship on whether you join their team or buy their products, regardless of the company they are selling for. But could it really hurt to spare a few minutes and show some interest in what they do and what they're excited about? I'd hope your friend would do the same for you.

What's the worse that can happen? I'm very familiar with Mary Kay because I've used it for years, and I've honestly been very happy with it. I mean compared to other products I've used that actually cost me a lot more, I've had better results, and I just like the way my skin feels and looks. But I do know that if you're ever unhappy or anything negative occurs with your skin, a good consultant will notify the people that need to be notified, and any help you need will be there.

I'm fortunate that I've had good experiences. But I never would have known my feelings on the product or my trust in my consultant if I didn't at least give her a try. I work in the insurance industry, and I hear NO all the time, just like my Mary Kay consultant does. So it might be nice to appreciate the fact that asking you to try the product or help her reach a goal may have been very difficult for her to do...despite her enthusiasm.

• Ana North
    6 years ago

I strongly dislike this brand. I would definitely not recommend this brand to others either. The quality of these products does not live up to the price. I've had bad experiences with MK before(skin burning causing more breakouts than I originally had). This brand also tests on animals which was the first reason I hesitated to buy products from this company. I myself have been to a few parties and the sales person just pounds into your head that you have to use the same brand for all your products (which is wrong). She also bashed me about using products that were different (I'm on the korean 10 step skin care treatment) once I told her a professional gave me those specific products she shut up. I was also hearing a lot of lies being thrown around. Another thing is when I think of Mary Kay all I think of is chemicals. Their products have some horrid scents their eyeshadows crease, their foundation slips around, the foundation also breaks down super easily leaving me extremely patchy. The CC cream actually made my skin feel like it was on fire. All the lipglosses I tried felt like putting PVA glue on my lips and the pigmentation sucked along with being patchy. I strongly recommend that you do not use MK if you have sensitive skin. Everyone has different experiences due to different skin types but this is mine.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County