Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chapstick

Posted by cometfern (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 03 at 14:41

Winter is coming and I am suffering from very dry lips. I've
been using softlips, but that is not working. Any suggestions? THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chapstick

For me the trick is to use any product regularly. I always have something on my lips and they don't get chapped.

My favorites are chapstick (it isn't waxy like it use to be), and Bonny Bell. I keep a stick handy all the time.

o

Another one for Chapstick here. (me likey strawberry!) Carmex also works nicely. And if all else fails, you simply can't go wrong with good 'ol petroleum jelly - aka Vaseline.

Rotny

o

Comet have you tried exfoliating your lips? It might sound strange but I tried it after someone suggested it to me and it works great! I use a mild small grain face scrub like Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub but I'm sure any face scrub will help if you have the dry peeling winter lip skin. I also heard that baking soda with a little water is a good lip scrub. Just be sure not to scrub to hard or to much. I usually do it about twice a week.

I use Burt's Bees lip balm (it has to be in the tin!) daily and it is the best one I have found to keep my lips soft all year long.

o

I'm partial to Blistex, but I agree that Chapstick is much improved and is not so waxy as before.

o

I always have a Blistex nearby year round. The LipTone version which is slightly blush in color gives a healthy, natural lip color and is great moisture. I apply it several times a day, being one that has a hard time keeping my lips from getting dry, especially in winter. There are 4 or 5 around all the time -- one in my purse, by the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and often in my jeans or skirt pocket. It's basically my "lipstick" unless I'm doing a total makeup job. Have to have it!!

o

I am a Chapsticker too. Now for years I have searched for Strawberry. I remembered it from when I was a kid but never could find it. Cherry was just not the same for me lol. Well last weekend, I was pleased to find Strawberry at a CVS in town. Woo hoo! I bought two LOL.

o

I'm a Chapstick convert. I used to use those liquid "chapsticks", but when they evaporated, my lips were worse than ever. I now use Chapstick all year round. I rarely wear makeup, and Chapstick keeps my lips looking & feeling supple & soft. I, too, have several sticks: car, backpack, & just about every room in the house so I don't have to go searching for it. I really don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get any more. Use animal fat like the Eskimos? Hmmm... Doesn't sound all that sexy to me. :-P

o

I'm addicted to Mint Chapstick -- sometimes hard to find!

A Chapstick trick --after you put on lipliner (if you use it) put on a very thin layer of chapstick and then lipstick over that. It fills in the little lines and makes your lips look smoother.

o

Carmex in a tube.

o

Lip Sheer by Essentiel Elements is surprisingly good to my lips. Never liked Chapstick, it dried my lips...but maybe it works better than it used to?

o

uh, folks- petroleum ANYTHING is hydrophilic to the point that it will absorb moisture out of your skin- it's meant as a barrier, not an emmoliant.

any oil you would use on your salad would work better...

Burt's Bees makes some great stuff in stick and pots with all natural ingredients.

the Aura Cacia stick with Carrot Seed Oil tastes a little funny, but it's the best one I've found to work not only on my DH's lips... but on the old frostbite scar on my mom's hand that likes to crack and split ever winter... last year, it didn't for the first time since she was like 9 years old.

o

I just use plain ole Vaseline. And, IMHO, it does act as a barrier and an emollient. It keeps the cold air away from the lips, preventing further cracking and peeling.

Last night I was cleaning some shoes with Vaseline, rubbed some into my callous on my thumb (used to write a lot) and today it's greatly improved.

o

Blistex. Can't wait to try a Chapstick again after reading these posts...it was so dry that it actually hurt to apply!

o

If you want something without petroleum, try Unpetrolium Jelly - at Whole Foods or health food markets.

o

I have to put my 2 cents worth in here. I use Aquafor. A dermatologist recommended it to me, and I love it. It is an over the counter item, but I get it from the pharmacy (behind the counter), where they only charge me $2 for a 2 ounce jar. ($6 otherwise). Works good, but I wish I had a small flat container to put some in to keep in my pocket. RAA

o

Ruthann, many places sell small decorative tins that you could use. Or just buy an inexpensive container of lipgloss at Walgreen's, throw away the contents and put your stuff in there. They have some small plastic screw types by the LipSmackers I think.

o

Well, I'm going to have to back down on what I said about the Vaseline----after several uses---I switched to something I picked up at Wal-mart---Banana Boat with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E.

Since I've started walking more, even in 2 degree weather, my lips were chapped all the time. This product has really helped. I've also started cleaning/washing my lips more---like when I wash my face----I clean my lips.

o

I just bought Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm and really like it. Another favorite is Badger Balm.

o

Try the lipmedic website. You'll go crazy trying to decide on which ones to buy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lipmedic Lip Balms

o

:) melaleuca brand 'sunshades' lip balm in vanilla...

I'm serious. in the month since I got it in a sample pack, I've found that I need to apply it less frequently than I have any other lip balm...

it actually seems to be improving the condition of my lips-
enough that my husband has commented on it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here