Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To polish, or not to polish

Posted by sjt2900 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 18:05

Because of my job I don't wear colored polish on my fingernails. My nails are natural and I keep them well manicured. I was always using a clear or base coat of polish on them, but my nails started to yellow, so I stopped using anything. Yesterday I read that you should always keep some kind of polish on your nails to protect them. Is this true? Was I just using the wrong kind of polish?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To polish, or not to polish

Because I garden so much I finally gave up polishing my nails. I just mess it up too quickly.

However my nails grow so fast that it is hard to keep them short so I let them grow to a moderate length and I keep them buffed to a nice shine. I don't know what you call the 'file' that I use but I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply and it has 4 different surfaces. I use all four and it gives them a nice enough shine that they almost look polished. Occasionally I dip them in bleach but normally they stay a nice healthy color.

o

My nails are somewhat weak and tend to split, so I use Nailtiques (#2)which really protects and strengthens them. I use my hands a lot in my work, in and out of water, etc. Nailtiques does not yellow, however it's about $10 a bottle. I think it's worth it.

o

sjt2900 try lightly buffing your nails with solar oil. Polish does protect your nails.

Do you smoke?

o

Nope, no smoking. Quit that years ago. Where would I find solar oil? Is Nailtiques available at beauty supply stores?

o

I saw Nailtiques at Walgreen's this week, and Ulta carries both Nailtiques and Solar Oil. I think Trade Secret carries them both also.

o

I think DrugStore.com sells solar oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here