Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grecian Formula Equivalent For Women?

Posted by houseful (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 10:26

Hello, I have been using Grecian Formula for awhile now and I love it! My hair is so soft and the color gradually fades away with no obvious line at the roots.

The problem is the colors are limited. My hair is naturally curly and dry, which is why I like the semi-permanent color which doesn't strip the hair. It is a very dark brown with natural chestnut highlights. I'd like to try something in a chestnut color. Are all over-the-counter brands for women considered semi-permanent? Is it only the salon coloring that strips the hair? Any suggestions for what will work for me?

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grecian Formula Equivalent For Women?

The colors sold at the stores are both permanent and semi-permanent. None strip your hair unless they are a lighter color and you want to go blonde, the lightening agent will strip your hair.

Just look at the boxes and see is they are permananent or semi-permanent.

o

Thanks Michelle. I do want one that leaves my hair really soft, although I assume they all do to some extent. Do you know which may be the best? L'oreal is one that I am leaning toward.

o

Others should pipe in here, I don't color my hair anymore!

o

LOL! I swore I never would, but all the gray is around my hairline. Because my hair is curly, the gray hairs tend to stick out and be very noticeable.

I've been doing some research and I realize that if it says "lasts 28 washes" or something like that, then it's probably what I want.

o

the developer is what really smooths those wild greys. I don't color anymore either, but when I did, and mentioned it to my hairstylist, she said I could add a capful of developer to my shampoo in my hand, mix it in and it would help smooth my greys in between colorings. I used to do that occasionally but can't recall if it really helped or not....

I looked at a book about grey hair when I stopped coloring, and the author said the main thing is to remember grey hair is DRY hair. Always condition after every wash, it really helps, and deep condition weekly. I also use gel or mousse most times I wash my hair, and when I don't I notice more wild greys. I try to always do a good blowout after washing, too. Drying your and leaving it even a little damp can cause frizz.

It took me a year and a half to grow my color out, and I'm so glad I did. I saw a picture of myself with colored hair, and it looked so off. I was at the point I didn't know what color my hair really was, or how grey I was. There was also that haystack effect from years of coloring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here