Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hair style

Posted by brownthumbia (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 22:19

I am in such a dilemma. first I will tell you right off that I am 76 yrs. old. but there is a hair style that I have loved ever since it came out and I don't even know for sure what the name of it is. but it's straight,cut short in the back and I've seen the back is either cut straight across or tapered up, the sides are left longer and straight but the very end is curled under a little. It's so when you lower your head the sides look a lot longer than if you have your head upright. My Granddaughters are insisting that I go ahead and get my hair done this way. My beautician acts like she doesn't want to cut them this way---maybe she thinks the style too young for me?!? I did talk to a friend of mine who was a beautician for years but now retired. She told me to by all means have it done and she thinks my beautician just plain doesn't know how to cut that hair style is why she doesn't want to cut it that way. Please be honest, am I too old for that very cute hair style?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hair style

Since we have no idea what you look like in person, it is hard to tell how it would look on you! Go for it, and if you don't like it, hair grows out!

Good luck!

o

sounds like a pageboy, which is good for younger women who have really good strong jawlines & chins.

the longer sides tend to draw the oberver's eye downward & to emphasize downward lines.

but...
I'd go to a wig shop first & either try on a wig in that style or buy a very inexpensive wig & have it cut in that style.

best luck, & have fun!

o

Thanks to both of you...I just texted my granddaughter and asked her what the style is called.... she said she thought I was talking about a bob. I do know what the pageboy is and although I like it I like the bob better. I guess my concern is--would I look like a total idiot trying to look younger than I am. Don't want to be an embarrassment to the family or myself. Thanks both of you so much for your input. I do think the wig tryout might be the smartest way to go.

o

It's called an A-line bob. You should Google some photos and take them in so that you get the length and look you really want. It's a very flattering look on almost everyone so by all means do it!

In my experience, some stylists tend to pigeon-hole women over a certain age and give them all the same boring mannish haircut.

Here is a link that might be useful: A-line bobs

o

You really made me smile.......
Sweetie - at your age, you can wear any hair style you want - don't worry about what others think - you're entitled.
If YOU decide you don't like it, you can always change it.
But if YOU love it - you always smile when you look in the mirror.

When I was a teenager in the late 60's-early 70's, my grandmother always colored her hair with a blueish tint. At the time, I thought it looked so silly.
But what I remember now, is how her face just beamed for many days after she had her hair done. I wish I could tell her now how beautiful she was.

o

Well!!! Ha!!! I found a different hair dresser today, went to see her and next Tuesday we're gonna begin to set the town on its' ears. LOL LOL. Seriously, she had some good ideas, I pointed out a feature of my face that I had some questions about and she assured me there was a way to diminish it so it would look fine. I have a lot of faith in her and I trust her to tell me what will be good for me and what won't. Actually I made her promise she would do that. It is gonna take some patiencs and practise to get this style down right for me. The style I've had for a long time is just a really curly style that I just shampooed and kept picking at it while it dried. Of course it didn't lay flat on the top of my head like the new one is gonna do. Thanks for all your encouragements everyone and Kit, I also wish you could tell your Gramma how swell she looks. Bet she was a beauty. And don't you just wonder what she thought about all the new hair-dos going around about then?

o

My Nana would have had a heart attack if she had seen my kids with the color of the day - or sometimes even shaved heads.
But they're both well adjusted adults with nice families...and hair always grows back. :)

good luck with your new style.

o

Oh, my goodness, and did she get to see all the piercing? and tattoos? and where they were say nothing about what they were? Now we're not even going to go to their filthy mouths. I've tried very hard to not criticize all this stuff but I do have my limits and garbage mouths are one thing I can't handle. Ever run into a very attractuve girl, only to have her open her mouth and cut loose with some of the language they use? Sure makes you forget about her looks. So, people with blue hair are a real treat for me. Just to show 'em I might 'blue' my bob. Noooo, just kidding. LOL

o

I'm 58 and just got this bob cut a couple of weeks ago. I LOVE it! I haven't had hair this short since I was 12. lol My hairdresser is awesome - I've only been going to her since April, but last time I went in, she asked if I was 'ready' to go shorter. I honestly was not, but she convinced me by saying "it's only hair, it will grow." It's cut at an angle, being layered shorter in the back. The front most part is maybe 2 inches below my chin. I've gotten sooo many compliments on it - shoulda done it a long time ago!

o

Well, I did it!! Went for my first hair cut last Tuesday. Because, as I said earlier, I have some perm left it is going to take a little time to let it grow out and she'll just keep clipping and shaping until it gets as long as we want it. She is extremely knowledgeable and helpful in helping me decide which cut would be the best for my face shape. She promised to be honest with me about which would be best for me. I am so glad I found her. Thanks everyone for your comments as well as encouragement. As someone said, the hair will grow back if I decide it's not what I think I want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here