Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How safe are manicures

Posted by suntide (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 20:41

Hi,

I have been thinking of getting a manicure but I am not sure how safe they are. I have heard different stories, some good and some bad. I do wear nail polish occasionally and for the summer I wear it on my toes.

Any advice for a first time manicure?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How safe are manicures

Well, I have started doing my own because of worries about fungus. A woman at work picked one up when she got a pedicure. From what I have read it is a problem with footbaths not being disinfected correctly.

I am sure the problem is rare but I don't want to take a chance. I don't find it that hard to do my own.

o

Fungus is not a rare problem at all with salon pedicures. Do them yourself and save yourself the grief. Go to a beauty supply and buy some nice products for a quality job.

o

I just had a manicure and a pedicure today at the local community college beauty school. There they teach their students proper procedures for making sure everything is disinfected. They said the major problem with pedicures is with the basins that have the whirlpools---the fungus grows in the jets that are hard to get into to disinfect. I feel fairly safe in that school environment where the students must follow procedure and the instructor checks them. Plus---you save tons of money over a regular salon! I don't know how much it varies from state to state, but my state has health standards for salons and does random surpise inspections---they can lose their license if they don't follow cleanliness codes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here