Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what product gives you the best suntan?

Posted by kiwilad55 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 0:19

As an avid sun worshipper acquiring a good tan is pretty important to me. What do you use when sunbathing (outdoors) to get and keep that perfect tan? My best success comes from coconut oil which I make myself mixed in with cocoabutter. Any thoughts? Cheers. KL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what product gives you the best suntan?

Baby oil, a unscented moisturizer, a splash of lemon juice.

This will get you a perfect sunkissed tan!

o

Skin cancer alert !!!!!!!!!! also wrinkle prevention, you won't be young forever, plan ahead................

I can tell you guys/gals are young; 20"s max, or I might be wrong.

You'll still get a nice light tan wearing sunblock; it will take longer but you will be protecting your skin. Roasting and toasting your skin with the above mentioned products gives you no protection from the harm that suntanning can cause.

I know I'm being a drag for mentioning this but I can't help it; the bad effects of the sun are cumulative, they will show up when you don't want it.

There are so many options nowadays for a tanned look without the damage.

ok, now you can tell me to mind my business or be mad at me, lol......

o

You are absolutely right. It's important to protect your skin from the sun. If you want a tan, go with a self tanner or spray on tan. When you are out in the sun, use a broad spectrum sunscreen to protect your skin. Here's a site with more information on the importance of sunscreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunscreen Resource Center

o

Take a well meaning tip from someone who has had several basal cell cancer's removed. I am very fair, red-blond hair and burned as a child growing up in the 1950's on a farm. The last cancer was on the tip of my nose and when removed left a nickel sized hole that needed 14 stitches, three inside and 11 from the nose tip to the bridge. (That was the only time I was glad my nose was on the larger size! He didn't need to do a skin graft from behind the ear.) I thank my Dr. every day that I look in the mirror because his skill left me with no scar. But I now get a full skin check once a year. All that childhood burning with no protection will be haunting me the rest of my life. Getting tan is just not worth it.

o

St Tropez is a very good sun-less tanner. I can add my own skin cancer stories. I've had two melanoma's and also have scars all over from having additional "suspicious" moles removed. I was also an avid sun worshipper. Olive skin and dark hair and eyes, so forget what you hear about blonds and redheads being the only ones would need to worry about skin cancer. Would I have never sunbathed if I had been told of these dangers when I was young? Truthfully, I would still have desired that golden tan but I like to think that I would have used a good sunscreen and just built up a lighter tan gradually.
IT IS NOT WORTH WONDERING EVERYTIME THAT YOU GO TO HAVE A MOLE REMOVED IF THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE CANCEROUS!!!

I know this isn't what you want to read but please think about it.

o

Just a couple other thougths here...

but are tans even "in" right now? I mean everyone wants a healhty glow to them, but I'm just not seeing a lot of deep dark tans. I thought that look was sort of out.

And, really, this is true...the people that always had that dark tan look when younger look at least 10 years older than everyone else now. I can't believe the wrinkles on their faces...they could compete with my mom. I can't be the only one that notices the premature wrinkles. It's really sort of scary.

o

Tanning now will not only make you look prematurely old when you are in your 40s, but as others have said, it is NOT worth the risk of skin cancer. With the hole in the ozone layer, the risk is even higher now than in the "olden days" when I was young.

o

Thankyou to all those who responded to my request. I appreciate your concerns and the thoughts shared. You have given me a great deal to think about. Cheers. KL.

o

Well-meaning friends are always lecturing me because I have a glowing tan all year long- but the truth is, I never go out in the sun without total protection. I use L'Oreal's bronzer and it looks very natural, so I always have a tan, but skip the dangers of real sunning. This time of year it goes on sale, so I stock up for the winter months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here