Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hairstylist raised her prices...

Posted by Mozart_Fan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 23:17

She said that she is now renting her station so her costs have gone up, but that her new fees are comparable to those charged by the other stylists at the trendy salon she moved to about six months ago. I'm just curious...about how much does a stylist have to pay to rent a station? We're in a fairly upscale community north of L.A.

Also, should I continue to tip her? I now pay her directly, rather than at the reception desk. I paid $110 for a cut and almost full weave for my medium length hair. I tipped $10.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hairstylist raised her prices...

The price for rent can vary a great deal by salon and location. A seasoned stylist that continues training in color and cutting will spend a great deal on training to keep current with trends, techniques and new products. Rent is just a small factor. A hairdresser of this caliber can make a good income, but rarely get medical or pensions.
In most situations like you described you would pay your stylist directly. Many say you don't tip a business owner, which she is. Personally, I always appreciated tips and would go the extra mile for someone that did. Why not...if I am going to be paid extra for making someone feel special I'd go out of my way to accomodate them. My work was the same regardless, but you can bet they got the best shampoo/massage, extra time with a curling iron or straighner, ect. I would also accomodate such patrons with appointments because they made it worth my time.

Tipping is a personal choice, you don't have to do it but it is appreciated by most. I go to a place that charges me 140 dollars for two colors (cover gray and blonde weave) and to cut my hair. That is a lot of money for me. If I tip it is only a token of appreciation. I might also skip the tip and bring her a latte, which I know she appreciates. I don't feel bad not tipping someone that charges at the top of the pay scale. If I feel she goes the extra mile, or gets me in at her inconvenience I tip her accordingly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here