Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polyester suits, nice or no-no?

Posted by sameboat (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 15:48

I always hear people make fun of polyester suits when referring to the 70's. I am looking for decent career wear and am finding many nice skirt suits on eBay. But they are all polyester! I can't afford wool or cashmere, and I need to look professional. Is a suit like the one in the link below appropriate? Or are interviewers snickering when I leave? I think they are beautiful suits but don't really know or see the difference. Can someone who knows the difference help me? Is this a passe look? I'm in the Boston area.

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=suitcs_009.jpg&username=cocosbigcloset&aid=748944596

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polyester suits, nice or no-no?

I am looking for decent career wear and am finding many nice skirt suits on eBay.
I think I would steer clear of buying anything on line, that you can't return. Possibly the jacket will fit, but the skirt won't fit so well, or vice versa.

I always hear people make fun of polyester suits when referring to the 70's.
I imagine there is a lot of polyester content in a lot of the suits made today.

See the link below for ideas of stores that carry suits in various materials and prices.

If you would consider 'like new', you could try the Boutique Section of a Goodwill or other thrift store. Often then have very nice dressy clothes that have never been worn and still have the tags.

Good Luck!

Sue

Oh...in looking at the suit at the link you provided, it really didn't do much for me. I'm thinking dark colors look a lot more professional.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Corporette Guide to Interview Suits

o

I actually won that bid! The color is an overall charcoal. It's exactly my size, I've purchased about a dozen suits on eBay over the past 10 years. 14p always fits fine. But I just noticed they are all polyester. I'm wondering if the suits aren't doing anything good for me...

I will stick with dark colors as you suggested. You're right darker is more professional. I will wear black or navy to my interviews and save the others for once I have a job. I do like gray in the summer. Thank you.

I'm going to go check out the link you provided. I am so happy someone responded!

o
RE: Polyester suits, nice or no-no

Good article. It does mention that sometimes the suit sets can be outdated styles. That's one of the things I was afraid of...even if it's new, with tags. I think I will stay away from the boxier styles and choose some with a small belted waist. I'm short so I have to be careful not to look like a box. I also noticed that the models in the link wore nude panty hose. I've always stayed away from darker colored suits in the summer because I thought it was a rule of thumb to wear black stockings with dark colors and shoes. But I really liked how their legs looked with the nude hose! Thank you again Chemocurl. This helped me.

o
RE: Polyester suits, nice or no

I meant to mention - yes, I've also found a very beautiful RED wool suit jacket at a Salvation Army. Tags still on it and I think I only paid $6. Pendleton. It matches a skirt I have exactly, even though it's made by a different maker. I was surprised because I think red is difficult to match if you don't have it in front of you. Saving that for this winter.

o
RE: Polyester suits, nice or no

I meant to mention - yes, I've also found a very beautiful RED wool suit jacket at a Salvation Army. Tags still on it and I think I only paid $6. Pendleton. It matches a skirt I have exactly, even though it's made by a different maker. I was surprised because I think red is difficult to match if you don't have it in front of you. Saving that for this winter.

o

The comments you see about polyester clothing in the '70s are not good because polyester was just coming in during the 60s and 70s, and the quality of the fabric was not as pleasing as it is now. They were all knit fabrics and rather plastic-y to the feel. Nowadays, polyesters are often blended with other yarns, and the polyester can help to prevent shrinking or to keep the shape of the garment. I have had polyester blouses that looked just like silk, so it is all in the quality.

o

Thank you, sheilajoyce. I couldn't tell polyester from silk or anything! I once worked for someone who would pay close attention to what people wore. She would say things like oh he had on a rich cashmere sweater and blah blah blah shoes. I'd think oh my God, what does she think of what I'm wearing! I just never gave that much thought about it. I know when someone looks nice but I don't really think about the fabric or make, etc. so I just needed assurance that what I wear is okay.

o

I forgot to mention too, that it helps to have a good friend or two who know 'styles' and if things are maybe dated. Those same friends can tell you if something is 'becoming' on you or not. Often we don't see ourselves as others see us.

She would say things like oh he had on a rich cashmere sweater and blah blah blah shoes. I'd think oh my God, what does she think of what I'm wearing!
I'd 'try to not concern myself with what the person was thinking of what I was wearing. Obviously they are a very materialistic person, or it would seem so.

rich cashmere sweater...
Sheesh...All I would hear after that would be blah, blah, blah.

o

LOL! I agree. Who needs that kind of stress?

o

I agree that "polyester suit" brings back memories of my grandmas and older aunts, but since I have gained a whole lot of weight from hypothyroidism I have had to shop Layne Bryant and other stores like that, and mostly it is all polyester. It isn't very cooling, but I have to have suits for work!

o

i agree, because i have a one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here