Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bare minerals and buying alcohol

Posted by dayenu (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 05 at 13:35

As an over 50 year old woman I am proud to announce that I was CARDED in the liquor store this week. They say their policy is to card anyone who looks under thirty.

Either the employees are daft or Bare Minerals needs to put me in an infomercial. hahahahaha. yowzers!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bare minerals and buying alcohol

dayenu, now, I really want to see that before and after picture :-)

I could sure use a twenty year age reduction.

Joy

o

Sold, I'm buying some!

o

Joy : do you think that if I keep using it I will lose another ten years by winter? :-)

o

dayenu, ooooh, that it were so....if you think it's possible, I'll be sending my order in.

There was commercial for Bare Minerals, yesterday, during "The View." The faces looked very shiny. Is it a shiny (as opposed to matte), look ?

Joy

o

It's matte. I use the light shade with a dusting of Mineral veil.

o

dayenu, maybe, they could hirer you as their spokesman, no one can sell as well as someone that 'loves' the product.

I keep thinking of questions...
What do you use under the powder ? If you can't use moisturizer under the powder, what keeps it from making your face a crispy critter ?...it sounds so drying.

Woodie, if you are serious about buying, looking forward hearing your story....

Joy

o

Some minerals have a moisturizing effect. The titanium dioxide used as one of the foundation's ingredients is not only a natural sunscreen but it is also used as a lubricant. It's not drying at all, nor does it add oil.

I've actually skipped using moisturizer at all during the day now, to no ill effect. But if you need a moisturizer, use one with a "dry" finish, like Estee Lauder refining lotion.

Woodie, I found a local beauty supply shop selling this now, so I'm going to go there soon to check what they have - I've used up my blush sample and need more of that, and I want to try other eyeshadows too.

o

I use Neutrogena Pore Refining Cream as my daily moisturizer - it also has SPF 15 and is oil free. I haven't had any trouble using it under the bare minerals foundation. I just have to give it about a minute to dry. Usually, I apply the moisturizer, then dry my short, fine hair and by then the moisturizer has soaked in enough that it doesn't cause problems with the powder application.

o

Is there a site where you can locate stores that sell Bare Minerals? I really want to try it first to get the right color. You guys have really sold me on it. Can't wait! I live in IA

o

Thank you, Gina and Housewitch....Joy

Donner, there is a store locator at the top of this website.

Sephora.....Bare Minerals

o

Joy, I am serious. Thanks for the store locator, there's one not too far from me and, thanks be to God, there's also a Sur La Table at the same mall!

I hope to go Thursday or Friday! Can't wait to go buy liquor and see if I'm carded!

o

WAAA-there aren't any stores in IA. Now I guess I'll have to just take a guess on color, Hate that.

o

donner: you can buy small sample on ebay. wont cost a fortune and you can test colors.

o

I purchased Bare Escentuals (from Sephora) - I think that's very similar. Spent some $$ to get started-- but I LOVE IT. My work takes me indoors and outdoors in hot, humid NC. I can't say enough about how much I like it!

o

yes it really is incredible stuff in the heat. lasts all day, I have no idea how it does that, but other makeup melts away and this stuff stays. yet it totally cleans up with water soluble cleanser and a rinse.

and no I dont own their stock.

o

Ookay, tomorrow's the day! I'm going in the A.M. and I'm really pretty excited (I'm really serious, all kidding aside). I hope I'm not expecting miracles, I know I'm too old to believe in a miracle makeup, but oh what the heck. I'm going to a wedding next month in Sweden and I'd love to look at least half as good as those Swedish beauties!

Ken just went to the wine store today, so I won't be needing to make a visit anytime soon, but I'll be sure to report in when I do, LOL.

o

Bare Escentuals is the company name. Bare Minerals is the product name. It's confusing. It must be getting more popular because Sephora didn't carry it a couple months ago, and now there are copy-cat mineral makeups out there.

o

I was in Vegas this April and they had Bare Minerals starter kit at Sephora for $60, a good buy if you consider each piece is about 20 each. It comes with three brushes, two shades, a blush, and the mineral veil. You can try it in the store before you buy to pick the best shade for you. The shades blend right in with your skin and it seems pretty hard to have the wrong shade actually, meaning one shade covers a wide range of complexions it seems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here