Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does wool shrink when wet?

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 8:35

I got caught in a downpour while wearing my black wool suit. A week later, I put the suit on and it felt a little snug. Will dry cleaning fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does wool shrink when wet?

This question might be better in the laundry forum. There are some people there that really know their stuff!

o

Dry cleaning won't "fix it". All that does is swish it in chemicals and it often does shrink garments.

You may be able to have it steamed, stretched and blocked professionaly. Crepe wool reacts better to this process. A professional cleaner or tailor will be able to tell you if they take a look at it. No one here can give you a definitive answer. I would suggest finding one of those places that do both cleaning and tailoring rather than a chain cleaner.

o

I think its really the drying process that tends to shrink wool.
You might try wetting it again and very carefully stuffing it with something or blocking it somehow so that when it dries it will dry to the right size.
I.e. What bud said.

o

Unless it is already unwearable though, definately take it to someone who really knows clothing and especially wool. it would be awful to take a suit you can deal with and try to do something to it to make it better only to make it worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here