SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Tipping the hair stylist

jenn
17 years ago

I'm wondering what an appropriate tip is for a shampoo, cut, and blow dry that costs $45.00. I usually tip $5.00 if the stylist also washes my hair and does a good job of it (scalp massage and a good rinse-off). Is that reasonable, or too much? I went to a new place today and wondered if she thinks I am cheap or extravagant. I don't want to appear either.

Jen

Comments (71)

• kathya
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

happyladi,

I'm not mad. It was definitely miscommunication. I ended up calling the salon and they had me come back and she re-did the highlights. After she had me tell her what I didn't like, she never spoke to me again except to say "you're done, put your smock in the basket." She was obviously seething underneath the whole time. What got me was she never once apologized or acknowledged that we weren't communicating. If there is one thing I don't need is a hairdresser with an attitude. I'll find another one - and next time I will be bringing my "portfolio of highlighted hair!"

• User
    17 years ago

I hate tipping period, but because my hair stylist is a friend and co-worker who only charges me 1/2 price to colour (3 colours) and cut my hair, ($60), I tip her $20. Heck, last time I saw her two weeks ago, she even bought me lunch!

• Related Discussions

changing hair stylists

Q

Comments (3)
    You're right if she is moody, she is not likely to be gracious but you might be surprised. There are many good stylists and maybe the last advice was best: just find another salon. But if you don't have many options, then be up front with your old stylist and telephone her and say you would like to try someone new and how would she feel if it was MRS. X. You have nothing to lose. I had a situation where I decided to go to another stylist but keep my existing hairdresser to do my color. I ran it by her and to her credit she was professional and very accepting. I was the one surprised because she was a very young woman and I almost expected her to have gotten an attitude and miffed. As a result, she has had my continuing business now for three years (every four weeks!) and I get to have fun picking hair stylists. Business is business.
    ...See More

Hair Stylists - likes and gripes

Q

Comments (10)
    What I've learned about hair stylists. 1) Find someone who has a style you like, ask them where they get their hair cut and the name of the stylist. It's a great way to find good stylists in salons you may not have considered before. 2) Any decent hairdresser who is truly good at their "craft" will not be easy to get an appointment with and that's for good reason. Beware of someone who can take you the same day (unless they have a sudden cancellation) They will also either own the salon or, (not always, but most times) make mucho bucks. Be prepared to shell out good money. 3) LOOK at the way your hair stylist does THEIR hair. Don't go to someone with purple spiked hair and zebra striped boots to get a "Lady Di" classic look. If you have the time, go to the salon and watch them cut and style someone else's hair. Do you like what you see? 4) A good hair cut will not require a lot of product and tools to look good. A good hair stylist that knows their craft will not HAVE to rely on product to make the hair style right or product sales to boost their income. If you don't like goop stay clear of trendy shops like Toni and Guy, cause they LOVE to sell you goop. 5) Bring photos of hair styles you like, more preferably, photos of yourself with a cut you liked or a style that worked for you in the past. A picture speaks a thousand words. Hair dressers see a lot of heads and it's not easy remembering everyone's preferences. Help your hair stylist help you. Have notes about things you disliked in the past, such as: No Texturizing, I Like My Bangs Long, etc. Never go without your notes and photo or you may end up with a different cut each time you leave. 6) When you get a stylist who LISTENS to you, LOOKS at your photos, RUNS their fingers through your hair assessing how your hair behaves, TREATS you well and gives you a GOOD cut, by all means TIP them well! They've earned it.
    ...See More

tipping granite installers?

Q

Comments (25)
    I am pretty irritated - the two installers who just left my house practically asked for a tip. I wasn't planning to tip them but after some awkward hanging out in the kitchen waiting for a tip and then asking if I had change for a $20 because they needed to split up a tip from yesterday ("some people must not realize that there are two of us!") I began to panic because I never carry cash and thought I didn't have any. I remembered that I did have some money and gave them each a $20. I could see how they operated - one left while the other did his song and dance. When I gave the second one his $20 he later put it on the counter for the other to see so he did not have to do his routine (too late). $3,700 for a countertop and now an extra $40 for doing the job for which they receive a paycheck anyway. Am I old fashioned that thinking tipping is for waitstaff, pizza delivery guys, and others who make less than minimum wage? Sure I would tip for going above and beyond, but this was a pretty standard job. They did a nice job, but my perception is ruined based on their attitude. All the way to work I was thinking about putting a tip cup on my desk. That and kicking myself for not having cash when the refrigerator man (who really went above and beyond) navigated my big fridge through every room in my house. UGHH! Okay, done venting.
    ...See More

hair cuts/color while regular stylist is on maternity leave

Q

Comments (11)
    Always... wonder if the new stylist got mixed up. She doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb, evidenced by telling you the payment arrangement, whatever it should be - that is not at all cool. Maybe there are some stylists who charge more than your old stylist and were asked to do her clients for the lower price. I've never heard of such a thing as charging more than someone usually charges and can't think of any rationale for it. I guess to try to keep the clients from migrating to the cheaper stylists after your regular returns, as someone mentioned. But, boy, she needs to learn to keep her mouth clamped shut! Artemis, that is so strange. You'd think she would have contacted all her clients to let them know where she is. It takes a long time to build a good clientele. I wonder if she decided to get out of the business?
    ...See More
  • shaun
    17 years ago

I saw a "tip jar" at the drycleaners today.. I thought, What tha......???!!

What do they want a tip for? We've paid the price for the cleaning.. it's not like they are taking our clothes out to the car for us or riding home with us to hang them up.

Sheesh! That's pushing it.

I'm in the beauty industry and tips always vary. Sometimes I don't get one. Sometimes I do. I always say, "oh that's nice but not necessary." Some folks smile and put the money back into their wallets and some insist on me taking it.

Doesnt matter - I enjoy my work. And I get paid for it, tips are just a bonus.

Yesterday I got my hair colored/cut and the price (home salon) was $54. So I wrote my check for $65.

• thistle5
    17 years ago

I took my son for a back-to school haircut this morning. Usually, my husband takes him, but he's away. Great haircut, charge was $12, I tipped $5....

• amy_z6_swpa
    17 years ago

I tip 20% and usually round to the nearest whole number. I tip the same as I would in a restaurant. I mean, as long as I don't hate the haircut, which I never have.

Figuring out 20% is simple: just look at the first three numbers of the dollar amount, and double that. For example my haircut was $18.00, so I take 1.80 times 2, which is $3.60. So I tipped $4.00.

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

I tip 10-20%, depending on the quality of work. I have A LOT of hair (very thick), so it never takes less than an hour for highlights or a cut. Most of the time, it takes 90 minutes to two hours, longer if the same person does the cut and color.

Also, I think most stylists spend more hands-on time with you than a waitperson, so they definitely deserve at least as much of a tip.

It does get expensive, though. My last highlights were $95, plus $30 for shampoo/blowdry. I tipped $20 to the colorist, and $6 to the woman who did the wash/dry.

The color job was gorgeous, though, and the colorist was recommended in Allure magazine. I wanted to be generous so I wouldn't have a problem securing my next appointment :)

• artemis_pa
    17 years ago

My haircut is $20, and I tip $5. It is a small, informal shop.

• rthummer
    17 years ago

Several discussions have been mentioned. Where does the idea that you do not tip the salon owner? Only if she is not doing your hair would you not tip. Believe me, she has to work behind the chair and probably has a harder time than the stylist working for her. A tip would be really nice. Does anyone know where the tipping of service people comes from? T.I.P. means to insure promptness. I have been a stylist for over 30 years. Tips are appreciated. Ladies, if you appreciate the time, care and education your stylist puts into her craft, please tip. Our educational expenses are alot, plus the time we have to be away from our families. Styles and methods are always changing. We are constantly having to educate ourselves for you. Sometimes the price seems high for the amount of time your stylist spends on you, but it is not always the time to be considered, but her skill you are paying for. I believe most stylist want to please and care about you, if you find one that doesn't, do not go back. If he or she doesn't have clientle they will not be in business long and they do not need to be in the beauty industry anyway.

• reena8589
    17 years ago

My friends sister gave me highlights for $25...how much should I tip?

Thanks!

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

"plus the time we have to be away from our families" We should tip because you're away from your family???? I'm away from my family when I'm at work, too. I'm a civil servant working for all of the folks who live in my state. I don't get tipped. I don't even get regular raises -- we have to hope our union can get the state to agree on a raise. Yes, we got a 3.5% raise this year, but it was the first raise in several years. And there have been years when the state decides that we will work a day each month with no pay at all, to save the taxpayers some money. That's always fun. A stylist can raise his/her rates pretty much whenever he/she feels like it. Wish I could raise my salary that way.

The practice of not tipping salon owners is because the salon owner gets to keep 100% of what they get paid for the work they do; unlike the stylists who work in the salon, who either pay a percentage to the owner of what they earn, or a set amount each month.

• cosmo_girl968
    17 years ago

Thank you Rthummer, couldn't have said it better myself. Here is just a little something I put togther for you girls to read:

One pair of quality scissors: $150.00-$500.00 and dont even think they last forever, they dont.

One professional Hairdryer: $100.00-200.00 yes they burn out just like your's at home does, especially since its used on the average of 15 times a day compared to your one time a day.

One Profesional Curling Iron: $50.00-100.00 now multiply that by about 5-10, because we need lots of sizes.

One pair of clippers: $100.00-$300.00 We cant leave the men out.

One pair of trimmers: $100.00-150.00 you short hair girls dont like fuzzies on the neck right?

Let's see that's a total of a few thousand dollars a year. This is just a mere few things we have to buy so let me ask you this...Ms. Civial Servant Worker, how much money do you put out of your own pocket to do your job. Oh wait, you probably expect to get reimbursed.

If your hairstylist is into her profession 100% she is also going to training seminars to keep up with the lastest and greatest of the trends. Let her know you appreciate her spending a thousand buckaroo's on a 5 day seminar 3 states away with no pay because she is devoted to making you look as sexy and updated as she can! Work it girls!

• linda1215
    17 years ago

I am a hair stylist at one of the "higher end" salons in my town - our prices are not cheap. I love almost all of my clients - they are just such a fun bunch of people for the most part. I have some who tip me VERY well ($20 on a $30 dollar man's cut) and some not so well but I will say this: I do my very best to make everyone feel good about how they look no matter what the tip will be. I listen carefully and try to avoid miscommunication. If you're not happy in any way , I do not take offense if you tell me - in fact, I tell all of my new clients that their input is very important even if it is criticism (just be gentle!!). That's my job as a professional and how you leave my chair reflects on me. I want you to feel happy and good about yourself. I am grateful for my tips but I don't feel that my clients need to pay for my equipment or continuing education. But I do hope that clients realize that they are not just paying for a service. They are paying for my expertise as well!

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

Cosmo_girl -- the professional equipment that you buy is called "professional" for several reasons, one of which is that it is built for heavier use which includes lasting longer than a consumer product.

And you get to deduct the cost of all of that equipment as a business expense.

The comment you made that truly makes me laugh is this:
    "Let's see that's a total of a few thousand dollars a year. This is just a mere few things we have to buy so let me ask you this...Ms. Civial (sic) Servant Worker, how much money do you put out of your own pocket to do your job. Oh wait, you probably expect to get reimbursed." Like you don't?!? You've listed all these things with associated costs as a way of "proving" why you should get tips -- TO REIMBURSE YOU FOR THESE EXPENSES.

And the last time I "put out of [my] own pocket" for work it was to the tune of over $2,500 and, no, I did not put in an expense claim for it. I certainly could have because I am absolutely entitled to be reimbursed for it, but I chose not to because our state was in a budget crisis at the time and my personal budget was healthy.

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

This is always a touchy subject, tipping; I dislike the fact that in some crafts, tipping is part of the expected pay scale, hence I'm assuming a hairdresser will calculate his hourly salary based on the tipping averaged out in a month.

I wish tipping was reserved for exceptional service only; I would much prefer paying a set fee for my services, even if it would be higher. Tip jars are popping up everywhere.

Mind you, minimum wage where I live is pathetically low, I understand the need to supplement that a bit with extra change, it probably makes a difference to the worker. Owners rarely up the salary and forbid the staff to take tips.

Owners of salons absorb expenses that the staff does not have to, so I see no difference in tipping them the same as the employees, since they are also performing a service and trying to make a living.

But every trade/job has expenses; more tools for hairdressing, yes but a lot of people could come up with lists related to what they do.

Time away from their families, not a good argument, it's the same for everyone....

With hairdressing, it's rooted in tradition and will not change ever, imo....

I tend to overtip my hairdresser in order to be given better service; I also do that in restaurants where I want to go often. Other places where I don't go often, I just tip normally.

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

"Tip jars are popping up everywhere." Isn't that the truth! Fast food places have tip jars by the registers. And they deserve a tip - why? Because they didn't screw up your order?

"minimum wage where I live is pathetically low" -- minimum wage is the same everywhere in the United States. It's set by the Federal government.

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

lindsey, I should have mentioned I live in Canada, it's 7$ an hour here. What is it in the U.S.?

• sweethome
    17 years ago

Ok, sounds like I'm in the minority here but here goes. I don't understand why any stylist would expect a tip. Prices for cut/color/style are ridiculous as it is and to expect extra...for what? Because I like the results - well, isn't that sort of what is supposed to be the outcome? If a stylist doesn't feel compensated appropriately shouldn't they either up the charges or find another salon, or find another career? I just don't get paying someone extra money for a job they are suppose to do anyway! I do extra things at my job, pay out of pocket expenses, work unpaid ot, and no-one's lining up to tip me. I don't see me changing my no-tipping ways anytime soon, at least at the salon.
    Only place I tip is a restaurant and only then if the server goes out of their way to accomodate...if they just bring the food where is the tip justified? That's the job, right?

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

mitchdesj -- Oops. I misspoke -- there is one state, Kansas, that pays less than the federal minimum wage; but the federal minimum wage doesn't apply to farm workers and I believe there are a lot of farm workers in Kansas which may be why it's lower. However, the law in Kansas does appear to provide that employees who are covered by the (federal) Fair Labor Standards Act are entitled to federal minimum wage.

That said, the US minimum wage is worse than Canada's. Here, it's $5.15. (Of course, I don't know the conversion rate, so I don't know what $5.15 US dollars would be in Canadian dollars.)

The states can, and many do, have a minimum wage that's higher than the federal standard. The best is in the City and County of San Francisco, where, since late February 2004, it's $8.50 per hour. (The remainder of California is $6.75.) The minimum wage in Washington is $7.63 and in Oregon it's $7.50. Effective January 1, 2007, the minimum wage in Connecticut will be raised to $7.65 (currently it's $7.40).

Most states don't have a law for overtime (premium pay -- one and one-half times the regular rate of pay [we refer to it as "time and a half"]) for more than 8 hours in one day. Alaska and Nevada do provide daily overtime. California's daily overtime law is time and a half for hours 9 through 12; and if you work more than 12 hours in one day, hours 13 and up are paid at double your regular rate. In Colorado, you have to work more than 12 hours in one day before you get overtime pay.

Several states provide time and a half overtime pay for more than 40 hours in one week. California's law is the best -- on your 7th consecutive day of work you get time and a half for the first 8 hours. Everything after that is double time. When I first worked for the state, I worked for the Legislature. Although we worked full time, our pay was calculated on an hourly basis (and back then -- about 17 years ago -- it was around $10 per hour). When the Legislature is going through "bill introduction time," "bill amendment time," and "budget time," (three very distinct periods during the legislative year) we worked at least 23 days in a row, at least 12 hours per day. The extra pay was great! Of course, after 23 days in a row we only got one day off, which wasn't enough to recoup so we'd go back and be half dead... And now I earn waaaaay more than that and only have to work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day -- unless the network goes down... and then we do what it takes to get everything back online.

In Kansas, you have to work more than 46 hours in one week to earn overtime pay; and in Minnesota the threshold is 48 hours.

By the way, there is a LOT of very interesting information on the Department of Labor web site, including the fact that when a service charge is compulsory (for example, 15% of the bill is automatically added), the service charge is not considered a tip for purposes of minimum wage. It's considered to be part of the employer's gross receipts.

Also, there are several states that do NOT allow employers to deduct any amount of (tip) money from the amount of hourly minimum wage they must pay. Those states are Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, as well as Guam. So if anyone in those states claims that their minimum hourly wage is reduced by any amount whatsoever because they earn tips -- they're not being honest. Or their employer has them totally snowed.

And cosmo_girl made a comment that she uses her professional hair dryer "on the average of 15 times a day" so that means almost twice an hour in an 8-hour day.

So, let's say she does 15 shampoo-cut-and-blow_dry clients in a day, and charges $65 each. That's $975 for the day. Now, add 15% in tips ($146.25, but some will pay a bit more, so let's say $150 in tips), and now we've got $1,125. There's an average of 22 working days in a month, so we've got a monthly salary of $24,750. Oh, wait, we have to pay the salon owner $1,500 in monthly rent for the space, so that only leaves us with $23,250. Oh, let's not forget that we need to put money aside each month for the "total of a few thousand dollars a year" for replacement tools of the trade, as well as a couple of thousand for attending a seminar every year, so we'll set aside $500 each month (giving us $6,000 each year to buy sharp new scissors and hairdryers with higher wattage). Now the monthly earnings have shrunk to a paltry $22,750. It's not all bad, though, because some days there will be perms, coloring, etc., for which she can charge a heck of a lot more; and that helps make up for the occasional bad day or the days that she decides to take the whole day off.

And what if she has to exist on just the cost of the services she provides, without getting any tips at all (oh, the horror!). Let's see, we've got (on average) 15 clients a day at $65 each ($975), 22 days in the month ($21,450), less the $1,500 rent for her work station ($19,950), less the monthly savings of $500 for tools and seminars, and we've only got $19,450 a month. Even if we say that this is an overly generous calculation of her talents - that she can't normally do 15 clients a day or work 22 days each month; and we slice that in half, she's still earning over $9,700 a month. Yep, she needs those tips to scrape by, doesn't she?

Here is a link that might be useful: US Minimum Wage by State/Territory

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

wow, that's quite a calculation exercise, I'm sure stylists would love to make 9000$ a month but I can't believe it's the case.

• linda1215
    17 years ago

Wow is right. I'm trying to figure out where this salon of lindsey's is located because 15 clients a day, without a gap, for the entire year is really something! And who the heck can work fifteen hour days (average shampoo, cut and dry is 45 min to an hour in most higher priced salons), day after day? My legs would turn to stone :). I do not know of any stylists pulling in even close to that amount (except salon owners, perhaps) and I live in a fairly affluent area of the country. And let's not forget that many stylists are responsible for their own medical and retirement benefits and most of us have don't enjoy the luxury of a paid vacation, sick day, or personal day.

All said, I LOVE my job!

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

Linda1215 -- it's not my salon. I'm not in the cosmetology line of work (I'm in Information Technology). It was cosmo_girl who, above, made the statement that her hairdryer is used, on average, 15 times each day. Simple math gives the rest. I used $65 as an average price -- if you charge less per client you'll make less, but it's still an impressive amount if you do 15 clients a day like cosmo_girl does. And if you charge more, you'll be making an obscene amount of money.

Obviously, not all stylists make that kind of money. If they did, there would be a lot more folks cutting, perming, coloring, and blow-drying hair just for the money, and we'd see a whole lot more bad hairstyles in the grocery store. But simple math shows that stylists aren't as underpaid and reliant on tips as many would like to have you believe.

And earlier in this thread stumpyouch made the statement, "a lot of the professions that rely on tips do not have to meet the guidelines for minimum wage and sometimes make only a couple of dollars an hour for wage. I've noticed that a lot of people aren't aware of this..." I posted in reply, "there are several states that do NOT allow employers to deduct any amount of (tip) money from the amount of hourly minimum wage they must pay. Those states are Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, as well as Guam. So if anyone in those states claims that their minimum hourly wage is reduced by any amount whatsoever because they earn tips -- they're not being honest. Or their employer has them totally snowed."

• rthummer
    17 years ago

lindsey ca--- blah, blah, blah, sit down and shut up until you know what you are talking about. I do not know what your profession is, nor do I pretend to know, so quit pretending like you know about mine. I have been an educator, a salon owner and have worked in a salon for some 30+ years. You do not know what you are talking about and I am not going to let you rattle on about something you know nothing about. I will not go into the details of taxes, insurance for employees, health insurace, retirement, liability insurance, education, rent, renter's insurance, etc. etc. That is to just to name a FEW things and taxes are different for a salon owner and a person who works in a salon. As far as tipping DON'T YOU TIP. TIP ORIGINATED T.I.P. meaning TO INSURE PROPTNESS. We have many, many customers that appreciate our care and quality of service that we give them that they WANT to tip us. THEY KNOW THAT WE KEEP UP WITH OUR EDUCATION EVERY CHANCE WE CAN. I personally take offense when you think you think you can calculate what we gross annully. If we made lOX times that much and did a good job would it be any of your business? Sure would be nice, though. Would you like it if I came to your place of employment and said, Oh, she could do with alot less money than that. And instead of taking an hour lunch she could eat lunch in five minutes. Sometimes hairdresser don't even get a lunch break, did you know that? We are busy on YOU! Because we really want our clients happy. If we are NOT working we don't make money. We can't ride the clock like some professions do. It burns me up when there are people like You who think we don't earn what we make. WE DO! Every penny!!!! YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT and don't be so stinking jealous!!!!!!!!!! GET real lady.

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

Geez, rthummer, you certainly have your knickers in a twist, don't you? You're ranting on and on as if no one other than a beautician has to pay taxes or keep up with their education. Information Technology changes a lot faster than hairstyles and coloring techniques. And some IT folks don't get a lunch break, either -- did you know that? If a server goes down or there are DNS issues or someone hacks into a web page, it has to be dealt with immediately and for however long it takes to get it done.

And, trust me on this, I'm not jealous of your salary. I am certain I earn more than you annually, as well as more than 4 weeks paid vacation each year, 13 paid holidays, 1 paid personal holiday, and 4 hours paid time that we can take either on Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, or any other time of our choosing.

And I don't have to stand on my feet all day.

• rthummer
    17 years ago

Geez,lindsey ca, if you look back I find you were the one with the cheap knickers in a twist in the FIRST PLACE. So, if you make soooo much money why are you in such a tizzzy over someone else tipping a hairstylist? I have found people like you are an exception to the rule most people are remarkable kind and caring and appreciate our work and want to show us a gratitude AND Don't be so sure of yourself Lindsey, like I say you know nothing about my profession so quit claiming you know so much. I learned a long time ago where to tell people like you what train station to get off. whoo hoo. You know nothing of what I have earned how I have saved, what I have invested. You are a real piece of work. lol

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

Who said I was in a tizzy over tipping a hairstylist? You're the one who thinks stylists should be tipped because you have to be away from your family. That is the comment that I thought was so totally stupid. Everyone who works has to be away from their family, but not everyone earns tips -- I see some disparity in that. End of discussion -- on my part, anyway.

• rthummer
    17 years ago

lindsey, I was not talking about being away from family when working. I was talking about the many weekends of being away from our family for skill training, business training, stylist training, new style training. Throughout the year we have to update our skills to stay competitive, and up to update ourselves in the latest fashions. Some don't and they fall by the wayside. That was what I was talking about, not being away from our families while working, that is expected of course. A stylist worth her salt educates herself many many weekends during the year. One that doesn't ends up at a low end salon, unfortunately. A stylist that has children really doesn't enjoy being away from her family, but she must to stay competitive and do a good service to her clients.

• stephiechick
    17 years ago

10 dollars would be the absolute least I would give my stylist as a tip. Determine how much by how long it took because is it took a while they did their best and it isnt as eay as it looks. 10 dollars would be the average for me and around holidays and what not i would throw in an extra 5 dollars or so because stylists have there getting ready to do also.

• brownthumbia
    17 years ago

Well, I've opened my mouth before when I should have kept it shut so here goes again. I cannot make myself approve of tipping even though at times I do it. Their wages are supposed to be paid by their employers, not me. Also, I worked in a nursing home for more years than I care to think about, (20 at least) and not once did anyone ever give me a tip, didn't expect one. And I would put that job up against any salon, restaurant, doorman or anyone else. The things we have to clean up can be unbelievable, the kicks, bites, pushes, slaps, etc----the only tip I ever got was, "look out "he's/she's in a bad mood today." But to each his own, I guess. Just don't always understand why it is necessary when you pay your bill.

• DLM2000-GW
    17 years ago

Following the logic above that we should tip because a sylist has to invest in so many tools ..........I wonder when we should start tipping the people who build or remodel our homes? Talk about investing in tools!

• rthummer
    17 years ago

You do, they just don't call it tip, it's added into to the materials.;-)

• thistle5
    16 years ago

I'm on vacation & decided, on the spur of the moment, to get a haircut. I took my 12 yr. old son, we were walkins, we got 2 great haircuts in about 45 minutes, $15 each, & I tipped $10. I might take my daughter back tomorrow for a trim.

• salbwil
    16 years ago

What if the salon owner cuts your hair, but another girl shampoos ? How much to tip each ?
    salbwil

• lexie1397
    16 years ago

Call me very cheap, but I think you should never feel forced to tip. Tipping is a way of saying thank you. Times when I have had terrible services somewhere I don't leave any tip at all. Tipping may be an important part of someone's income but I worked hard for it too. In my mind, they need to work for it.
    I recently went to a salon for a $45 wash, cut and style. The stylist was absolutly wonderful so I gave her $5, plus I had never been to a professional salon before and she had to teach me everything so I gave her an additional $3. I know that this is below the standard, but I think that the standards are incredibly inflated. Especially for those of you in states that charge sales tax (we don't have it here in oregon), nearly 50% of your total bill might be tip and tax. So if you tip someone for merely doing their job, what is the original portion going to??

• hamster
    16 years ago

I have a good relationship with my hairdresser. I tip her anywhere from 15-20%. She is about 1/2 as much as the other salon I used to go so with the tip, I feel I am still getting a good deal. Her cut/style is $12. Foil high/low lites,cut and style pkg. is $43. With that tip, she always gets me in quickly.

• labmomma
    16 years ago

Never tip the owner. If your stylist is the owner and he/she accepts a tip, find a different salon. Just plain tacky.

A small token Christmas gift is great, but an owner should never accept a gratuity.

• lilsue
    16 years ago

Well...i read this and i just had to add my 2 cents. I am a hairstylist. I rent a booth at a salon.

I just can't beleive how some people get so caught up in calculating how much they should tip. A tip is a gratutity for a service, to tell the person who provided a service for you thank you, and that you appreciated their good service. Now...if it is going to kill you to squeeze out a few extra dollars to give a tip, then PLEASE keep your money!!!! I treat clients the same no matter if they tip or if they do not.

I would also like to ask why it matters how much a stylist makes???? Some stylists dont make much, and others do quite well finacially...but why does that matter if they did a good job on your hair????

Also, a lot of people were talking about how much the cost of getting your hair done is. Well, I will tell you for a color, foil and haircut i charge about $125-$145...but do honestly think that i take home all of that????? What about the hair color and hair products? Do you think the beauty supply places give those to us for free? Far from it, they keep jacking our prices up and half the time we just eat it, but occasionaly we have to raise our prices to keep up with the price of everything else going up.

My monthly rent for my booth at the salon i work is more than my rent on my apartment.. about $800 a month. Then you have the cost of products and color, figure that is about 1/3 of the price of what i charge the client for the color service. Then figure that i have to pay my own health insurance...another $135 a month. Continued Education events and classes...about $1200 a year. Shears and sharpening...basic shear is about $245 + sharpening every few months about $25. Other tools....dryers, irons, combs, brushes....several more hundred dollars. Then figure in we dont get sick time or paid vacation if we rent a booth, not to mention no lunch breaks. If you take a lunch break you loose a lot of money because a lot of people like to get their hair done on their lunch. Then figure, taxes and other insurance...

Yes, some stylists do well...but let me tell you, NO STYLIST ever makes money easily. If anyone does well in our industry it is because we have worked our tails off.

There are some hairstylists who should not be in this industry. I never get mad at a client for telling me that they arn't happy with something I did to their hair. I dont take it personally, sometimes it is just miscommunication, or sometimes they just dont prefer something...no biggie, just let me know and i can change it! I think that a stylist who gives a client attitude for saying they didn't like something that was done to their hair is wrong, and i feel bad for the client. I always encourage my clients to be open with me, if they dont like something we can change it as long as they tell me.

I pride myself on my work and i love what I do. I dont do this work because i make a ton of money or because it is easy. I do it because i love it. I really appreciate the clients who see that about me and who thank be by giving me a tip (gratuity). Not because they have to, but becasue they want to to.

• shelbyb30
    16 years ago

I have been a hairstylist in a high end salon for 8 years and I just have to say that we are really happy to receive ANYTHING. Its really nice that you guys tip us. so thanks!!
    I do have to tell you that lilsue above me is telling the truth. Getting your hair done is expensive but after we pay for color and booth rent and everything else she said there sure isn't alot leftover. One thing that i can tell you is instead of worrying about the tip think about being a loyal client. If you find someone that you like stick with them. also remember to be clear about what you want because we are not mind readers. any good stylist will not mind taking a few extra minutes to discuss differend ideas and options with you.
    hope you all have great hair days tomorrow!!
    Shelby Brookings

• hairlady
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    I'm a hairstylist too and I want to first say 'thank you' to all of the clients that do tip. I think it is a very nice gesture of appreciation. I too, am one of those stylists that don't look for tips, I only expect to be paid for my services and shown appreciation by your return visit. I really appreciate that more. I put a lot of time and attention into giving the best customer service I can along with good hair care and good hairstyling so when I see my clients come back, I'm happy.
    I see some people aren't as satisfied with their stylist as they could be and I just wanted to recommend a website you can check for stylists in your area. Their work is on the site and you get to find out a little about them before you go to them. It's called www.hairportfolios.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: HairPortfolios

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I've always tipped my hairstylists, usually 18-20% or more if I round up to the nearest dollar. I appreciate that they are on their feet all day, and that dealing with customers in any service industry can be a tough job. If I like what the stylist has done with my hair, or if I feel they have given me extra time and attention, I always let them know that they did a great job. I also give a gift at the holidays, usually cash or a gift certificate to a local store I know they will be able to use (like the place where they order their lunches). A stylist who really listens to what I want, gives me her undivided attention and communicates during the cut/style is a gem.

That said, I have to say that the person I describe above is not easy to find, in my experience. I've lived in several states, so have had to find a new stylist more often than most. My wish list for a great stylist:

Listens to what I want done, instead of gossiping with other clients/stylists, forcing me to interrupt the chit-chat to talk about my hair.
    Remembers that she is standing inches from my ear when talking to someone across the salon or letting out a belly laugh when there is a joke told at the next chair.
    Asks me if I want styling products or hair spray before emptying the can onto my head, causing me to head straight for the sink to wash my hair as soon as I get home.
    Keeps a note card in her file noting how exactly she cut/colored/styled my hair, so I can get the same style the next time I come in. (I can't tell you how many times I've loved a cut, and was never able to have it reproduced again because they couldn't remember what they did. I spend as much at the salon as I do at my Dr.'s office, and if they can write down what they did, so can a stylist.)
    If you are over-booked or running late, please don't rush my session to catch up or do the color and tell me I don't really need a cut this time to catch up. (This actually happened to me four weeks ago. I was scheduled for a color and trim, and the stylist insisted I didn't need a trim. Color alone cost me $112 plus tip. I could see her glancing at the waiting area, and she was late getting me into the chair. I finally went elsewhere the other day for a cut and the other stylist will not be seeing me again.

The above mentioned traits have cost many stylists my business. For those who are considerate and attentive, I will be loyal and generous. My bad luck that the real gems often leave their jobs or move away and I have to start over with someone else.

• scarlett2001
    13 years ago

I have a few questions:

If you are not happy with your hair and you go back for the stylist to make corrections, do you re-tip? Just say thanks and leave?

Aren't the costs of scissors, curling irons, etc. tax deductions for the stylist?

My stylist is pretty good but she takes up to 3 or 4 hours for a color and simple cut - she's just really slow. The charge is $80 for three or four hours. Plus tip. Should she be paid or tipped more because it takes more of her time? Four hours is half of my precious Saturday, do I have to pay her more, too? What if she gets even slower???

And what career or profession doesn't require new training and updating these days? I can't think of many. To think your clients owe you for this is absurd. You have to keep up or fall behind in any job.

And finally, some people have made huge sacrifices to get higher education degrees. And we pay more to service-type workers than we make hourly ourselves. Why does a plumber make more than a special education teacher? Why does a hair stylist, with 650 hours of training, expect to get hourly what a college grad makes?

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

rthummer posted: lindsey ca--- blah, blah, blah, sit down and shut up until you know what you are talking about. I do not know what your profession is, nor do I pretend to know, so quit pretending like you know about mine. I have been an educator, a salon owner and have worked in a salon for some 30+ years. You do not know what you are talking about and I am not going to let you rattle on about something you know nothing about. I will not go into the details of taxes, insurance for employees, health insurace, retirement, liability insurance, education, rent, renter's insurance, etc. etc."

Talk about the ultimate in rude behavior. I have only lurked occasionally on this forum and just aghast at how this thread went on and on. The escalation of rude remarks is just disgusting to me. If rthummer were a friend or family member, I would be horrified to be associated.

Scarlett2001, If I was not happy with my hair and had it corrected, I definitely would not tip.

Yes, items purchased in connection with a business venture are tax deductible, so rthummer's post again makes no sense.

No, your stylist shouldn't be overly compensated for taking much too long to accomplish a task.

There is no profession other than working at a convenience store that does not require some level of training. Even the convenience store clerk must learn how to run a cash register these days.

The salary disparity makes me crazy as well.

Ugh, I wish I never opened this thread as by blood is boiling.

One last thing, any salon owner that accepts a tip is tacky, pure and simple. Low class.

I am surprised that the powers that be at GW didn't pull this thread when it started getting ugly.

• scarlett2001
    13 years ago

It can't get UGLY, it's the Beauty Thread!

• brownthumbia
    13 years ago

This is going to raise some eyebrows and I know it. I go to a beautician who owns the salon. I am sorry but I do not tip her anything. I know she has expenses but so do I and I live on social security so my raises each year don't amount to squat. Unfortunatly my hair did not stop growing when I went on SS. I went from paying $16 dollars for a wash and cut in my old salon and paid the gal a $2.00 (GASP!!) tip but she was not the owner. Now I'm paying $22.00, the owner does my hair and she does a fabulous job.
    I know there are not many who will agree with me but I worked in a nursing home as a CNA/CMA for almost 35 years and not once did anyone ever give me a cent for doing some very unpleasant chores and I did not expect them to. however I do remember one time at Christmas one of the families brought in a box of candy to be split with about 20 people. Guess I just don't know why waiters/waitresses, doormen, salon workers, etc and their employers for that matter should expect me to help pay for their wages. There are many, many people who do not get tipped for their hard work. Just don't understand the difference.

• michelle_phxaz
    13 years ago

Brownthumbia, did you get paid less than minimum wage at your CNA/CMA job? If not, then you have no right to expect a tip. You entered an agreement with the company to work for a specific wage and knew what the negative side was to accepting the position at that pay. Now, a stylist or a server or (like me) a casino dealer, on the other hand, we all agreed to accept less than minimum wage but are allowed to and expected to make tips. I make $5.15/hour dealing (yes folks, that is a whopping $41.20/day BEFORE taxes, medical, and any other deductions). So if everyone comes in who doesn't believe in tipping I would be on the streets.

I say if YOU chose to accept a job where you know what your income is to the dime you have no excuse to A)not tip or B)have it done cheaper or not at all. It isn't the stylist's problem that you don't make enough to tip, why should his/her family suffer because you don't make enough money to tip?

I know there are many opinions on this, and I know the OP was about tipping the owner, but I still say go for it if you like the service. Trust me, I wouldn't stiff a stylist I found and loved, they WILL remember you next time!!! Same a servers in a restaurant, and I won't go there in explaining what their payback might be if you are a stiff...

BUT, on the flip side, tipping well does have its benefits too; I have received free hair products, complimentary beverages or desserts at restaurants (servers actually beg hostesses to seat us in their section sometimes!) and in turn we know we will be treated SO well and come out ahead in the long run.

Off my soapbox for the night. Thanks for allowing the rant!

• brownthumbia
    13 years ago

I knew I would be stepping on toes with this post and I don't like to cause hard feelings so I'll try to straighten it out a bit. When I started working at the nursing home I most certainly did NOT make minumum wage. Far from it. But doesn't everyone who accepts a job agree to the conditions? Didn't you? However, in time, I did know that if I didn't like what I was being paid I could take some classes to better myself and that's what I did. I took the CMA classes and did make more money. We could not depend on tips because there weren't any no matter what we made. And anyway the employer doesn't have to offer more pay as long as the customers are paying it for them. They are not stupid!! A casino that doesn't even offer minimum wage, which by the way is well over $7.00 an hour, now is really cheap. I really don't know how they are getting by with this. Now, I am sorry I can't tip like you'd like to be tipped but there are other bills waiting to be paid also. I wouldn't give a plug nickel to a business or their employees that would take it out on me just because I am not a wealthy person and can't tip like they think they deserve. If you don't like what you are being paid why on earth would you stay? I am sorry if I sound so harsh it's just something I have wondered for a long time why employers let their customers pay a lot of the wages?

• michelle_phxaz
    13 years ago

Brownthumbia, I think you missed my point. Dealers, like servers or bartenders in restaurants, 99% of the time are paid less than minimum because tips are expected to make up the loss. It is proved yearly with tax returns that it is the tips that make the paycheck, not the base pay, otherwise they would be forced by the labor laws to pay more. All casinos in America I know of do this, as well as most restaurants. It is not being cheap on the companys' part, it is just how it is.

I love my job, wouldn't trade it for the world, and I am actually making more in base pay than a most of casinos I have worked for. My job is great; I get to give other people's money away, provide entertainment, and meet some fun people. My tips far exceed the $5/hr, but if all of the sudden tipping wasn't allowed, the casinos and restaurants would be forced to pay at least minimum wage. But like I said, it is proved to be a fair base pay and I gladly accepted the position with the small hourly wage, I NEVER said I was unhappy with the job, I don't know why you said that.

I still stick to my guns: don't take it out on the employee because you can't afford it.

• shiningstylist
    13 years ago

I'm a veteran franchised salon owner. That being said, I've heard every degree of praise and complaint at client tipping habits! Depending on the geographic area that you're in, $45 would either be just right, or a bit much for a person with shorter hair (longer hair typically costing more). Regardless of the pricing of your service most stylists would consider a 20% tip a good perk for a job well done. Another way you can praise your hairstylist is by giving them word-of-mouth praise Here . That'll help them get future clients!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair Stylist Guide

• ann100867_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Hi I am stylist and what I am not reading in here is Tipping is part of my wage! I make $1.25 and hour over minimum wage my age stinks for what I do it is not emough to pay back school loan it is about 18,000.00 for 10 months of schooling I work my butt off!! I really have a problem when people compare us stylist to waitress for tipping we don't just deliver food and take your order. we enter your personal space and cut and color and style your hair! People take their hair very seriously!!! Its not like a burger you can send back and have redone! I believe stylists are way under tipped!

• soulreaver04_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I am a stylist and tipping is a time factor, if she does a good job then tip on your personal higher scale, if it is time look at it as every 20 to 30 min she would have completed a cut and tipped 5.00 so for every 30 minutes of her time you should tip 5.00. We go to school for our professions I would do my job even if I did not recieve tips but it is a job well done when you do recieve it...

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!