Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What has happened to sizing in womens clothes?

Posted by sheshe (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 21:52

Recently I bought a pair of Levi's in my regular size. I got
them home and they were not the size of my old ones.
I bought a satin robe, I brought it home and it was sized wrong. What I am seeing over and over lately is no care at all taken to size anything properly any more. When it comes to bras this is truly a disaster. Has anyone else noticed
this? I suppose the store gets your money anyway for a certain time until you return it. Maybe that is all they want. Of course buying online becomes truly difficult too.

sheshe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What has happened to sizing in womens clothes?

Oh, anymore NOTHING is sized the same. At the Gap I am a medium, at other stores I can be up to an extra large. My work uniform shirt is a small. Who knows?

I hate it too, you really have to try on clothes every time to get the right fit. I feel your pain.

o

Twenty-four years ago (at age 30) I weighed 100 lbs., and wore a size 5. I am now 54, still weigh 100 lbs., but -- get this -- I now wear a size 00 or sometimes even a size 16 in the little girls section.
Perhaps my making this clothing size-down, women are more prone to buying the smaller sizes? Makes no difference to me, as I usually wear my youngest daughters "old" clothes.

o

Every company has it's own measurements for size, and they do not even seem to be consistent within a brand. You have to try on.

o

Its not just that. It would be expected that different companies have different sizing. I tried on a bra at VS. It fit like a dream. I bought six. I got them home and when I tried on one in a different color it did not fit. I laid them all out and they were ALL different lengths. From the biggest one to the shortest one was a 6" difference with various lengths in between. I took them ALL back and showed them. I just got a shrug from the clerk.

This sort of thing happens often. I tried on a skirt and decided to get both colors. Sure enough the EXACT SAME skirt in a different color was huge.

Try on everything.

o

It's because we get all our clothing manufactured outside the USA. Some worker 14 hours into a 16 hour day for 45 cents is not going to worry if they made that bra to size, they are just trying to keep body and soul together.

o

My body happened to clothing sizes as far as I can see. :-(
I used to wear 8's, then 10's, then 12's and now I wear a 16. At seventy I still care that I have gained inches where they never used to be and lumps and bumps that would have horrified me at 30. But you guys are right; nothing is consistent any more size wise. I looked at some summer knit shirts the other day at Costco marked XL. What a joke. Even in my most skinny days I could not have worn those shirts.

o

I think you 'pay' for the smaller size tags! The cheaper the clothes the closer to my real size it seems but I see some celebrities who weigh much more than I have ever weighed & they supposedly wear a size 8 & weigh 158 lbs? Come on now!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here