Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need something to help clear up my acne

Posted by tisa (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 20:53

I have had moderate acne for about 3 years now, and I've tried a bunch of different cleansers. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cleansers that actually work, and if they can tell me when to use them. Acutane and Retin-A do not work on my face; my skin is really sensitive. Thank you so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need something to help clear up my acne

I'm assuming you've seen a dermatologist? I did not have much luck with the program my derm put me on. My son tried Proactive and it didn't do a thing so I tried his left overs and it worked! Within two days I noticed a difference. The daily oil control really dried out my skin so I dropped that. Good luck.

o

Years ago, when my son was a teenager, and had acne, and really sensitive skin, we tried a Buf-Puf facial scubber thingy and Lever 2000 soap. Over the course of the next couple of weeks it cleared his face up, and I still use it today. All the dermatologist wanted to do for him was put these chemicals on already irritated and very sensitive skin ( and I do mean sensitive. He once got 2nd degree chemical burns from BenGay !) I don't mean to be endorsing any products, just telling what worked for us. Same thing for a friend of mine, 36 yrs old, and had bad acne for years. Now shes so clear its unbelievable. Its worth a try. Just remember, when working to clear up acne, in my experience, it always looks worse before it gets better.

o

maymo, yes, I've seen a dermatologist, and I didn't have much luck with their programs either. I tried proactive, and it didn't do a thing for my face either. I religiously used it for about 3 months. Thank you for your input; I really appreciate it!

hayden2239, I'm going to try the Lever 2000 soap and the Buf-Puf facial scrubber! Thank you so much for your advice!

o

Try a cleanser made to balance your skins Ph,like Eb5 or Clarins.They have worked for me.

o

i've used proactive but my skin started becoming sensitive so i tried Philosophy products and have been very very happy with them. after a few weeks i was able to stop using the acne stuff and just use their regular stuff. i love how my skin looks and feels now. ~ liz

o

Try Hibiclens, a anti-microbal wash which you can buy at Walgreens (blue bottle about $10.). I've been using it for about a month now and have much less breaking out and far fewer blackheads. Not a miracle for me, but definately a improvement. Link below shows medical studies that prove it does work. Good luck!

Don't get this in your eyes or mouth. It is a liquid so you have to be careful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiclens/acne

o

The only thing that ever worked for me was Retin A. Not a solution for everyone but perfect for me.

My 15 year old son developed some t-zone acne this year. Benzoyl peroxide solutions and pads didn't work for him. I tried salicylic acid pads, both from Noxema and Oxy. Those worked great. He uses a pad in the morning and at night and his blackheads (the biggest problem) and his pimples cleared up.

o

My dermatologist recommended taking 10,000 IUs of vitamin A, daily. This has worked beautifully for me. I no longer get monthly break-outs as long as I am faithfully taking my vitamin A.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here