Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BAre Minerals a disappointment.......

Posted by deefay7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 18:22

I just ordered Bare Minerals a few weeks ago. I like the healthy glow it gives my face, and the way it feels like not wearing any makeup. I live in Houston and it holds up pretty well to this horrible humid weather, altho' I have to reapply it often.
I also makes my face itch too. It gets worse when I am hot or outside.I wrote B.M. to inform them of this prob, and they said it was due to the minerals moving around on my face(???). I don't really think that is why..........I believe it is from the bismuth too. I am going to look into trying a different brand.
I don't think I will buying it again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BAre Minerals a disappointment.......

Moving around on your face! Do the minerals have itty bitty legs? I think they don't want to admit that there is an ingredient that can cause problems.

o

I cannot say that I have had this problem, and I have very sensitive skin. I can't believe they would suggest the minerals are moving! I guess they are active minerals! Ha!

I currantly use purminerals Pressed minerals makeup. I switched because I was tired of the mess from bare minerals. I really like it. It seems to last better than the bare minerals, and is a matter finish. I like the less sparkle because my face is oily, especially in the summer.

Have you tried a different brush? I actually have this problem with some makeup brushes, although the ones that came with the bare minerals work fine for me. Do you have an old brush that you used for blush or powder laying around? Try washing it with whatever you use for cleaning your face and use that to apply the bare minerals after it drys thoroughly. Maybe that will help.

o

Have you tried Avon's Personal Match Mineral Foundation? It's the same as BAre Minerals but a lot less pricey, and I find it works great for me. Lasts all day too. (P.S. I don't think Avon's minerals will move around on your face... can you imagine??!!)

o

Frabee, if you are currently using Avon's Personal Match mineral Foundation can you post the ingredients? I have a bunch of allergies as well as rosacea which is why I switched to mineral make-ups. I would love to know if this is something I might be able to use. Is it a loose powder like bare minerals or pressed like purminerals? Thanks in advance for the info!

o

Avon lists them on their website:

Ingredients
Personal Match Smooth Mineral Makeup

MICA
TITANIUM DIOXIDE
IRON OXIDES
BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE
KAOLIN
ZINC PCA
SODIUM PCA
SODIUM HYALURONATE
PHENYL TRIMETHICONE
WATER/EAU
LAURYL PCA
LECITHIN
C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE
SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE
TREHALOSE
POLYQUATERNIUM-51
ASCORBYL PALMITATE
ATELOCOLLAGEN
NYLON-12
BETA-CAROTENE
RETINYL PALMITATE
SODIUM CHONDROITIN SULFATE
TOCOPHEROL
UREA
IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA
METHYLPARABEN

o

Everyday Minerals seems to be the favorite at some of the makeup forums that I read. Everyone raves about them. I haven't tried it myself though but If I would go the mineral makeup route that's what I'd try.

o

Those ingredients in the Avon products just tell me that's an old-fashioned powder. They're trying to capitalize on the word "mineral". Fine, there are some minerals there, as in many foundations and powders. But it's not a pure minerals product and is just a marketing rehash of old stuff.

If you just want a powder foundation, that's fine. The whole point of Bare Minerals is that it doesn't include all that other filler.

Too bad it makes some folks itch. I love it to pieces.

o

Barnmom, I have to agree with gina, with all those ingredients it is not really a mineral makeup. I don't think either lecithin or nylon-12 are minerals! But I'm sure it is better for your skin than if it did not have the titanium dioxide. Unfortunately I cannot use it, my face would turn beet red from some of those ingredients. Thank you for putting the ingredient list up for me, that was very kind!

o

jcrowley99, sorry I hadn't gotten back to see your post and answer your question before this. To be honest, I didn't realize all those ingredients were in Avon's mineral makeup. Thanks to barnmom and gina w for straightening us all out on this topic.

o

Urea - isn't that pee?

The BM doesn't make me itch but I'm attracted to the matte finish that EM offers. Anyone know if it is drying? Since I've started using BM I've stopped breaking out but I do prefer a matte finish. So I'm torn.

o

the reason that you are feeling a pricking itching sensation on your face is not because of the minerals moving around on your face but because of the naturals sunscreen, titanium oxide. some people notice that pricking sensation when they are in the heat or sweating, it will go away after a short time. i experienced this same thing for a short time but i cannot tell you the last time that i felt that and i live where the temperature is commonly over 100 degrees and it is constantly humid. i have been using the makeup for awhile now and could never switch to anything else. i have even tried the avon mineral makeup and it is very thick and cakes easliy. bare minerals is one of the only true mineral makeups and has been around the longest.

o

Snookums, BM gives me a matte finish. Does it look shiny on you? I don't use the Mineral Veil, but you might try that over the foundation for more "matte". As I understand, Titanium Dioxide is a natural humectant - it attracts and holds moisture to the skin. I haven't noticed drying.

o

Hi, had to chime in on this one. I was getting oily and itchy with Bare Minerals. I started using blotting papers a few times a day which took care of the problem and eliminated the need to reapply. Hope that helps.

o

I have been using BM for 3 years and love BM There is a new product out to keep your makeup from "moving" it is a primer and it keep you from having to reapply and looking oily, remember your mineral veil ladies

o

I switched from Bare Minerals to Everyday Minerals several years ago, because of the itchy,stinging sensation from Bare Minerals. I've never had that problem with EM. Also, the EM line is much less shiny than BM, although you can choose between the finish you prefer with EM. They do offer different levels of shininess depending on which formula you order. I suggest going to the EM website and ordering some samples, if you suffer from problems with BM. The EM samples are huge and very affordable.

o

I'm a BE junkie, and it is the BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE that makes most people itch. In the well rested I have this problem. My eyes will start to itch and I can not use it.

I've recently found a company that is just starting out. I won't post the link here but it's inexpensive and has no bismuth oxychloride, talc, cornstarch, carmine.

(I am not permitted to post the link since I am a founding consultant of the company and therefore considered a business. I am in the process of adding my information to the shopping directory.)

o

I love Bare Minerals. I've used it for two years on my now 53 year old skin. I tried the Avon mineral make-up and didn't like the coverage of the foundation. I use the BM foundation, eye shadow, eye liner, blush, and the Well Rested. I use Philosophy skin care products along with the Bare Minerals make up and I have fabulous looking skin. No one guesses my age.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here