Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing semi-permanent hair color

Posted by CatKoz (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 04 at 17:46

I've been using L'Oreal Castings in medium brown for years, Gradually the ends of my hair have gotten too dark so I'd like to "pull" some of the color out. (repeated washing has not faded it at all)

I've tried the Clairol UnColor product and also the Metalex method. Neither has done much to remove the old color.

Supposedly, the color removers for permanent haircoloring don't work on semi-permanent products (Something to do with the difference in the dyes ?)

Does anyone out there know of another way of pulling the old color ?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing semi-permanent hair color

I heard Prell Shampoo was strong enough to reduce color.
Next time you color, try coating the ends with some VO-5
in a tube, or vaseline, that way the color won't adhere to the ends and it makes for a more natural color job.

o

speaking as a hairdresser, your "old hair" becomes very spongy afer repeated applications of color. you really cannot remove it. the only option is to have your hair trimed to strengthen the ends and get rid of the dark.
the biggest hint i can give you is NOT to color the ends every time you do your roots.
use regular color on you roots only, then add 2x as much shampoo to the rest of the color in the bottle. put that on the rest of your hair for 5 minutes only. rinse and condition.

have a friend or neighbor help you if you have trouble just getting the color on the roots. leave root color on for 15-20 min only. rinse, then apply the color/shampoo combo for the last 5 min.

hope this makes sense, email me if you need more help!

trin

o

Thanks for the input. I've given up on removing the old color, and will just keep growing it out and cutting it off. I'll also follow your suggestion for avoiding overcoloring the ends in the future.

Cat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here