Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with dry frizzy hair

Posted by Twinkle (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 05 at 10:08

I have very dry hair. It's very fine and straight, but I have a lot of it. It's gotten really dry just over the past few years. I'm 36 years old, so age probably has something to do with it. I have some breakage, so it looks frizzy.

I'm going to be in my sisters wedding, so I want to look great! It's only a month away, so I need something to make it look better short-term. But, I'm also looking for long-term solutions.

My hair has been regularly colored since I was a teenager. I use a curling iron every day on the ends only. I prefer to wash and blow-dry it every day, but have been trying to wait and do it every other day instead. I have to blow-dry it. It's long (just below my shoulders) and takes hours to air-dry. I can't wash it at night because then I wake up with bed-head and flat hair.

What will make it look glossy, thick, not frizzy, and still not weight it down?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with dry frizzy hair

*sigh* you have dry hair, but you force hot air over it to make sure you drive all the moisture out of it...

doesn't that seem a little counterproductive, even to you?

you do't have time to grow it out, and if I were you, I wouldn't want to pay more for my hair than for my dress, my shoes, a new purse, and the wedding present...

your best bet is to suck it up, and have your husband lock the dryer and curling iron away for the next month...the fact that your hair takes longer to dry than my waist-length mop tells me that it NEEDS that water you are so frantic to drive out of it.

now... there is a secret weapon. Pantene Pro-V is now making a line for 'women of color'...and it is the new love of my life, since it smells a whole lot better than the avacado oil I've BEEN using.

for three weeks, weigh your hair down. wear a headband, wear a scarf, buy yourself a new lipstick, but do it. don't wash it more than every other day...but CONDITION it every day. and make a hair appointment with someone who can actually DO hair, instead of just cut it...

the healthiest hair you have is the hair closest to your scalp, away from the sun- basically, the stuff at the nape of your neck. so the BEST plan is to plan on wearing an updo- add a switch (a pony tail addon) if you have to , or surround your top knot with roses...

but you will make your hair look 10 years younger if you hide the crispy bits in the bottom of the bun where no one else can see them.

o

good ideas already. I highly suggest a hot oil type treatment. You can buy them at any grocery store. Yes, it may weight it down a bit, but will restore some moisture back to it. Do these at least once a week. I have also heard mayonaise works well, but I tried it once and it stinks too much for my liking. Keep in mind that dying, curling, and blowdrying will continue to dry out your hair, so try to cut down on those as a long term solution.

o

"Crispy bits" - ROFL! Actually, an updo sounds like the perfect solution for the wedding.

Very good advice. Makes sense. I am trying to follow these suggestions, but they just don't fit my lifestyle. I have to get up and go to work. I can't sit around all morning waiting for my hair to dry. I don't have a job where I could wear a ponytail or a bag over my head.

I am giving it a break over the weekends - I'll be letting it air dry then, not washing but using a good conditioner, etc.

On Friday I did try to let my hair air dry a bit, then used the blow dryer on low until it was just damp, then let it finish air drying. I was late for work (sigh). But that's got to be better than drying it all the way.

o

Joico K-Pak is a good reconstructor. I have over colored my hair and really dried it out and this stuff does a good job without weighing my hair down.

Here is a link that might be useful: K-Pak

o

:) updo's are the perfect solution to a whole RANGE of hair style issues...and especially when I'm dealing with folks older than myself, the topknot or french twist tends to lend me an elegance that hairspray and curling irons never did (other women, in particular, are not fooled- permastyled hair looks styled, no matter what you do or use on it) and since I'm not the most pulled-together little fashion plate (think more cyndi lauper than Jackie O) Ive learned to work people's perceptions to my advantage!

in the long term, prenatal vitamins have all the stuff that makes hair and nails grow, gelatin really DOES help, and your hair won't retain so much water when it's healthier- getting a pixie cut after 3 months on the vitamins will give you a clean slate.

o

Based on BarnMom's suggestion, I tried the Joico K-Pak reconstructor. My hair is also fine but thick. I color with a semi-permanent. My hair had become very dry and would take hours to dry naturally (it's shoulder length.)

I ignored the directions. Washed my hair, slathered the K-Pak on and covered my hair with a plastic cap for an hour. Then rinsed and applied my usual conditioner.

I toweled it and let it dry naturally. To my astonishment, it dried naturally in half an hour. It's silky, has good "movement" (i.e., the stands don't cling to each other) and body. I've given myself more deep treatments, each a few days apart and my hair condition has continued to improve.

Needless to say, your mileage may vary, but I'm sold.

o

Thanks to all who responded. After only two weeks, I am beginning to see an improvement in my hair. I have been washing it every other day, blow-drying on the cool setting on weekdays, and letting it air-dry as much as I can. I've been using a protein conditioner alternating with Pantene deep conditioner. I use a blow dry/leave in cream every day. My hair is starting to recover, looking less frizzy. Still a bit dry, but it's getting there.

So far, so good! Now where can I buy that K-Pak?

o

Yep, that K-Pak is good stuff! I use it about every other day and it makes my feel silky and bouncy instead of crunchy. The semi permanent hair colorings are very drying because of the peroxide included in them. Check any good beauty supply store. I bought mine at my local mall salon called King's Den Haircutters. I think it is a franchise store so there might be one by you. Drugstore.com carries it as well.

I've started using Textureline Texture Creme for volume and styling instead of mousse which is drying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artec Textureline Texture Creme

o

Hard to say without seeing your hair, but there are products for your type of hair. Sebastian .aminates and KMS were good a few years ago, but I haven't used any for a long time. You might be able to get samples. There is also something called frizz-eze serum at grocery store. For many people a silicone product like that makes hair look greasy, but for others it adds shine and eliminates much of the frizz.

Your hair is damaged by blow drying and curling, but some people have frizzy hair no matter what. Using low heat will help even though it takes longer will keep hair in better shape. There are also ceramic irons that are suppose to be much better on the hair. I have not used them personally.

A reconstructor as mentioned above is great too. Get regular trims, it is the best thing you can do for splits.

o

hi everyone,
I'm only 16 and i have very frizzy and poofy hair. I think it's because i've been straightening it everyday of my life..but i just stopped so is there anything else i can do to help heal my uncontrollable hair?

o

everyone is right, washing your hair everyday is what is doing it. and the fact that you blow dry your hair from soaking wet is the WORST! you should let your hair air dry as long as possible. Its best to blow dry it when its just damp and not longer than 20 minutes (thats if you have thick/long hair) Also try using sulfate free shampoos if you are going to over-wash. There is hot oil treatments you can buy at the store or you could make your own hair mask-I do. I use 1 egg, a teaspoon of lemon juice, 2 or more tablespoons of olive oil, sometimes with the addiction of a mashed avacado. it is gross, but it works and its natural with no chemicals they put into shampoos or conditioners.

o

Daily, got buy the book "Curly Girl." It will change your life!

o

Hi, I have very dry, brittle and frizzy hair. The ends of my hair are very crispy and my hair as gotten so short because of this.

I have tried loads of products but I am yet to find anything to work.

Can anyone help me in anyway?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Sammy

o

There are varieties of natural remedies for dry frizzy hair and I almost applied them to my hair, one at a time of course. Here are the following that could work on you, too:
Coconut Oil or Olive Oil Treatment
Raw Egg & Olive Oil Treatment
Avocado & Olive Oil Mask
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Lemon Rinse
Yogurt Mask
These are only superficial but the most effective remedy for dry frizzy hair are daily exercise and good eating habit.

o

I have long hair but i love to be frizzy so rock

o

I think all moister for hair is good. I put oil in my hair and wear it in a braid for a day, about 2 times a month. and when I wash it out, it fills really good.

However, everyone is raving about (macadamia oil) when I wash and blow-dry my straight hair I use it on the ends. before I go out.
Its like its not even there.

o

Frizzy hair tends to be drier, so you need to put moisture into it. Use a conditioner, a natural oil, or a frizz cream, Baker says.Natural oils are better than synthetic because they are absorbed into the hair.

o

Use a natural shampoo that has aloe vera that can help your hair to become shiny, smoother and manageable. I like using natural shampoo on my hair to prevent damages. Avoid ironing and curling your hair and use protectants when you need to do this.

o

So, I am a professed hair dying addict. I have KILLED my hair by over processing it so many times. Im talking bleaching, then dying, then bleaching then dying again... sometimes in the same week. I read an article that said to use coconut oil... it works. i'm telling you! I put it threw my hair about 30-40 minutes before a shower. work it into the tips (or all over in my case) and then use a low phosphate shampoo and a heavy good conditioner. Suave makes a spray oil that helps tame the crazy junk if youre in need of help quick. Leave in conditioners help too, especially if you're stuck using a hair drying, flat iron, or anything of that nature. Dove conditioner is what I use. The INTENSIVE STUFF. I had the hair of an 80 year old with a bad perm and color a month ago. Now its much MUCH healthier. Looks like I am 25.

o

So why don't you stop? I quit perming my hair after the lady burnt my head. I am 55 years old with short dark brown hair. I have enough gray hairs to make it just right. It looks better than any frosting job you could ever buy! I had long frizzy hair when I was growing up. I washed it daily and blow dried for 1/2 hour daily. I lived in NE Pa. When I move farther south the frizz went away. Water, climate change? I have no idea. It used to be wavy and out of control and now it is straight. Growing older? Who knows?

o

Try Keratin or Oil treatment.

o

Yes, too much using of curler and hair dryer and blower damage the hair. Make sure that you treat your hair well because it is our crowning glory.

o

I deep condition my hair once or twice a week. I used to have frizzy hair too but after doing this, my hair has been getting soft and more manageable. I shampoo my hair every other day. I've heard that there are ingredients in a shampoo that makes the hair dry in the long run. An organic shampoo is preferable.

o

awesoe info on this forum, thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: engagement rings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here