Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Haircutter for Curly Hair

Posted by playsinthedirt20 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 3:34

I'm looking for a really good haircutter who understands curly hair. I've gone to so many I've lost track, including one very high-end salon on Lexington Avenue in New York - and they blew it out straight! After I told them I wanted to wear it natural!!

I can't afford $500 for a haircut, but up to $100 I can manage a few times a year. (I'm in the New York metropolitan area, by the way)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Haircutter for Curly Hair

Not sure where it's located, but is there a Ouidad salon near you? I'm a hairdresser, but never got any formal training on cutting curly hair. Some experts claim it's the same as cutting straight hair, but I disagree. The problem is, there are very few classes to take on this subject. I did take a short class with Ouidad at a beauty show, but it was not hands on. I'd have to travel to New York and spend big bucks to learn from them, so I've put it on the back burner.

Your best bet is to call the salons in your area, and ask them specifically if they have a curly hair expert on staff. If they say yes, book a consultation and see if you are comfortable with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: curly hair

o
RE: Good Haircutter for Curly Hair

Thank you. Yes, Ouidad is right in Manhatttan so I can get there. I was going to book a consult, but then read some not-great stuff about them on another forum. (one member had gone tweice, gotten just so-so cuts, and a lot of attitude the second time from the stylist.) So now I'm hesitant.

I like you idea of just calling some local salons and asking if anyone is trained to cut curly hair. And you're right - it IS different! Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here