SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lostnca

Dry hair help please

lostnca
16 years ago

Hi,

My daughter is living in a very hot dry area right now and is having problems with her hair tangling and turning brittle. Her hair is down to her bottom and is really worried about it being totally ruined. Can anyone suggest a good treatment for her?

Lorie

Comments (29)

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Olive oil.

• riverbud
    16 years ago

Is olive oil better than the cream rinses????

• Related Discussions

Maiden Hair Fern - please help

Q

Comments (2)
    If they are silverfish, they won't cause harm to your plant...at least not that I've heard. They eat crumbs around the house, mostly. Josh
    ...See More

deep conditioner for dry damaged hair

Q

Comments (16)
    I've been dealing with very dry ends as I have been letting the last color job grow out. The best thing I've done is I stopped using the hair dryer unless I just MUST. But if that's not possible, the best product I've used is FrizEase shampoo, conditioner, and leavin-in serun. The price is reasonable, too. I have found the best buy for it at Target. I have gotten the silkiest, softest results from it over anything else I've used. BITY
    ...See More

still pulling my hair over backsplash... Help please!

Q

Comments (18)
    Thank you for all your comments. :) Boxer, we had the backsplash included in the contract with our contractor so we sort of have to do it together... If we were more experienced with remodeling, we would not have done it the way we set it up but... oh, well... Leslie and jdcl, I like your suggestions. I have been actually looking at either taupe tiles and gray tiles. There ARE so may shades of these tiles that actually have been rather confusing for me but your mentioning these olors sort of assures me! Cinlyklein... now... what is a kitchen shrine? Maybe something that I should do a search for? pdxkit, We paid $3315 for what came out to be 67 sqft of the area. The island is about 52" x 36" (39" x 24" cabinet and 12" overhang on two sides). I have replied to your email about the price detail on our granite, too. Hope that helps!
    ...See More

Please help with layout, pulling hair out.

Q

Comments (34)
    Yes Macswim that's soapstone. I don't know the name of it, just some scrapes that I cobbled together to make my beloved, fantastic sinked vanity/counter, and tub cabinet counter. The only piece that was greater than 13" wide, was the bottom of the sink, and that pieces was about 20x30". My sink is 18x18" outer dimension, square. The counter that shows in the bathtub pic, is actually 2, 12-13" strips, epoxied together to make the counter which is 22" wide and about 32" deep (front of cabinet to the rear). Soapstone is incredibly easy to work, if you are at all handy, and have the time and inclination.
    ...See More
  • dianetx
    16 years ago

I would love to try the olive oil treatment, can you tell me how much to use and also, isn't it hard to wash it out afterwards?

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I too had thought to send her olive oil and honey for a hair mask. I have read use 2 tbs of honey to 1/3 c of olive oil and work it into the hair 30 min before washing. My daughter also heard to use carrot oil. She didnt know if this was to be ingested or worked into the hair? hmmm.
    Lorie

• arkansas girl
    16 years ago

Someone was telling me about the forum just for people with long hair(long hair lovers forum). I think coconut oil is what's popular with them. But you should search for long hair lovers forum and find that forum for lots of info on caring for long hair. I just went and found the post...she said that she puts pure coconut oil on her hair for at least 5 minutes prior to shampooing.

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

The best thing I have found that doesn't weigh down my dry fine hair is jojoba oil. It's the closest thing to natural sebum. It can be found at any health food store. A little goes a long way & it'll rinse out of the hair with just conditioner.

Coconut & olive oil, & shea butter I've also tried, but they were extremely heavy on my hair. It took a clarifying shampoo to get such out of my hair, which completely ruined the reason it was used.

I live in a desert climate with very hard water, so anything I find that will make my hair feel soft & hydrated is a blessing!

• beautygirl
    16 years ago

I have dry hair too. I love Tricomin Restructuring Conditioner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tricomin Restructuring Conditioner

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Two different ways you can use olive oil to keep your hair shiney and elastic.

1.) Put a few drops of the oil on your palms and rub them together. Then run your hands lightly over your hair just hitting the "fuzzies" that stick out. Then keep running hands through the hair, until you feel that the oil has been distributed evenly. Do not put any oil, on hair near the scalp as that already has enough natural oil. Concentrate on putting more on the ends. You can then follow up with a hair brush or even a comb to distribute oil even further, evenly. You may have to experiment as to how much oil to use for your particular needs. Hair down to your waist is going to need more oil than a chin length bob, and nappy hair is going to suck up more oil than smooth hair, and curly hair will take more than straight hair. Experiment on a couple of weekends. Also when you are first done, it may look too oily in some spots, but the oil sort of distributes itself even further on it's own in a little bit of time. by the time you're out the door it should look fine. You can also put a little lavender scent or some other, in the oil if you wish.

2.) The oil treatment: Apply the oil in the same way but put it on a lot heavier. Then cover with a shower cap and go out in the sun. Then wash with a gentle shampoo. Your hair will be silky and shiney when dry and stay that way for a few shampoos. Some people swear by using olive oil and honey. I have never tried that.

• thugnation213
    16 years ago

Those are some good tips!

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the tips, I purchased the olive oil, honey and daughter found the carrot oil so I will be packing up what I have collected and shipping it to the Iraqi desert this week. *daughter is deployed there*. She was also saying that most shampoos that contain fruit scents attract the flies and other bugs in droves. Anyone have a suggestion to repel the flies? *who would have ever thought cosmetic care would be good for a soldiers moral?*
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Lorie

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your suggestions. We ended up sending my daughter Olive oil and honey to treat her hair with. Right now DD is in Iraq serving in the Military. When she called home the other day she said her hair was drying out so badly that she could not even comb/brush it when it was dry. She had to wet it and put some conditioner on it to get a comb through it.

It seems that the olive oil alone has really made a difference and she is getting some shine and softness back in her hair. Due to the time constraints she has a difficult time trying to work the honey into the hair but she is going to try mixing up the olive oil and honey and set it in the sun while she is on duty. She hopes the sun will thin it out.

Bottom line, the olive oil works!
    Thanks again.
    Lorie

• ramrice
    16 years ago

Safflower oil is also another one to try. I remember reading an article about it a few months ago. I just did a google search and found this about it:

http://www.shea-butter.com/oils/safflower.shtml

I am planning to try it myself.

Please thank your daughter from me for her service to our country!

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

Lorie,

I hope she's staying out of that triple-digit temperature, limiting her sun exposure!!!

I'm sure she'll be wearing her hat or helmet when she's on duty, but does she wear a hat when she's off duty?

I had sun damage on my hair from years of doing lawn & garden work, & walking, without putting anything on my hair or wearing a hat.

The damage was horrible. It was bleached like a bone or piece of wood that's been sitting in the sun. It was brittle dry & very fuzzy-frizzing. Nothing would remoisturize it.

After getting it cut out over many years, since I didn't want to get a big chop all at once, my hair is now being cared for properly & finally looks & feels healthy. I wear a hat or use a product in it containing a sunblock or sunscreen when out & about.

On the 4th I went to Trade Secret & bought two bottles of a sun-protection hair product by Joico. It's from their Sun Therapy line. This is the one - http://www.dermagirl.com/joksunthprsu.html

Other companies make sun protection hair products too:
    L'Anza, Swim & Sun Line
    Biolage, Sunsorials
    Davines, Su Suncare System
    Ouidad, Sun Shield
    Philip Kingsley, Swim Cap
    Rene Furterer
    Phyto, Phytoplage line
    Kerastase, Soleil UV Defense Active line
    Frederic Fekkai

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

By the way, my hubby's also in Iraq.

As for the hair product scents drawing in the bugs, I've never heard of that happening. But to err on the safe side, you might be able to find unscented/fragrance-free items at a health food store.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

libbyliz,
    I hope DH is staying safe. My SIL is there now as well as DD. She called this morning and could only talk for a few minutes as they are in a "hot spot". I dont think that she was referring to the 140 degree weather!
    She was asking today how to keep her hair from bleaching out. She said her hair is almost blond now. Normally, it is Irish Setter Red. I told her exactly what you told me. KEEP YOUR HAT ON!

Im pretty sure she has since she is so fair skinned. We have sent a lot of Ombrelle for her use. Our dermatologist told us it was the best sun block on the market before it was sold in the USA and advised me to drive to Canada to buy it.

I will look for some of the products that you mentioned. I think they sell the Biolage products in the nearest "big city". If I cant find that, I will order some products through the website you posted and have it shipped there. Have credit card will shop. hehe Thanks for the suggestions.
    Lorie

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

I hope your family is staying safe!

Hubby says he's staying safe. But he's in an Air Force career field that doesn't have to go off the compound, though some Air Force do. Our base has lost four since winter I believe. It's just so saddening & maddening. =(

Have them tuck that hair under those caps & slather the conditioner on for deep treatments!

If their hair is already damaged or on its way, conditioners with proteins will help fill in the gaps, temporarily. But protein use can sometimes backfire & make some people's hair even more dry & brittle. Perhaps twice a month in deep treatments would be enough. They'll just have to pay attention to what the conditioner is doing to their hair.

I wonder if they can get their hands on some mayo? There are plenty of recipes on-line for deep treatments with items normally found in the home. Though I know they're living out of tents or pods with barely anything more than a cot, & have to go to a chow hall to eat.

Also, if they shampoo less & just water rinse, or even conditioner-shampoo between regular washes, they won't dry out their hair as much. They need their natural oils to protect the hair, which the sulfate-loaded shampoos tend to strip. I use shampoo+conditioner & creamy moisturizing shampoos for either ethnic hair, dry/damaged/brittle hair or color-treated hair when I need to get styling gunk out.

I've been learning over the years on a site geared towards those with wavy & curly hair. Curly hair of course tends to be drier than any other hair types.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

libbyliz,
    Its possible our family could be working at the same place. I wont say where though.. geez do they know how bad I am at keeping secrets? You have it pegged just right when you say it is saddening and maddening.

I find myself starting to type things to you about the kids and think.. nooo better not say that.. So just imagine all the things I am telling to you through mental telepathy. Their safety is our priority though.

I bought a great big tin of olive oil for DD and her tent mates. Evidently its the best thing they have found. DD smooths it on her hair and she can actually put a comb through it. Otherwise she would have to wash it.. vicious cycle. The honey olive oil mask is working well for once a week treatments.
    On to more serious things.. most of the gals have lost the balls on the belly button rings. lmao.. I had an "emergency" phone call to find them some and send. The bakery here in town made them "survivor" cookies to send so they are going to get a really big box this time. The other request is for Buckleys Cough Syrup. lol Im not sure if they have it in the states but it is just awful tasting and they advertise it as "Tastes awful, works great"! DD thought it would be the perfect cure for desert crud.

I hope your family continues to stay safe and I will keep you in my thoughts along with my "kids". Take Care
    Lorie

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

The "desert crud" my hubby's got the hacks from is from the garbage being burned on the compound. He said it's worse than any smog he's ever experienced! And maybe from the dirt/sand.

He said not much will work for those types of congestion. He's a combat medic there & an Independent Medical Technician (the military cheap way of not having to hire P.A.s for individual squadrons) at home.

I wonder what the long-term effects of that is going to be like for the soldiers?!

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh gosh, I had not even thought about that. Ive seen pictures of the garbage burns in other places.. I will have to ask DD if she is near it at all.
    Now this is getting curiouser and curiouser... lol Daughter traveled there with her medical group but that is not what she is doing there. She normally works in records at E gl in but they were sent to do other aka non combat jobs.
    Lorie

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

I don't know how we can exchange e-mail addresses without the whole world seeing. Otherwise we could continue off the GW/THS.

I'm going to have a look at my profile to see why mine isn't showing up when I click on my user name & "My Page" & go from there.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

libbyliz, I was wondering the same thing too.. Let me take a look at my profile and see what I can do here.
    Lorie

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

I added my e-mail. I think I got into my profile & there's an area where you can add your e-mail account & a box to check for who you want to be able to write you.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, I sent an email so you will either see one from lostnca or arpsadaisy. lol I dont remember what I put on my acct here. I tried to change it but I dont think I did it right to have my email show.
    Lorie

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

I didn't get it. That's strange. I even check my SPAM folder. Try again & put something like "It's Lorie from THS" in the subject line. I'll keep looking.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Glad to see that my olive oil suggestion is working for your daughter. Wearing a hat will not only protect her hair from further damage but also keep her cooler in the sun. Wearing a scarf around the face can filter out particlates from the air that can be breathed in. Desert sand is very fine like dust and not like the sand we associated with beaches and kiddy sandboxes. When I was in AZ it didn't take much wind to blow it into our mouths while we talked. I always thought the gritty sand was going to wear the enamal off of my teeth as I could always feel it if I put my teeth together. If flies are a problem I would not be using honey in the hair as I think that could attract them. It is also known that flies are attracted to scented products so it makes sense not to use them.

It's nice to see that you've found a penpal to share things with. The email capbilities at GW have never worked for me either. For some reason only some accounts are affected and not others. I think it has something to do with when one sign up here. Maybe writing to GW and asking will help resolve it for you.

• lostnca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LibbyLiz and Bud_Wi, I tried to post here yesterday but while on the phone daughter called and reported she was sick and in the "hospital" in Iraq, and the dog took the liberty to delete my message. lol Its been one heck of a week here.. Hard drive died and I had to have it replaced. The other computers hard drive died last week then the washing machine ... Now my sister called to confirm that mom needs to go into some sort of care facility or come live with her.. however sister wants about 70 k in upgrades making a mother in law suite for mom in her house... HUH?
    So bare with me if my posts and emails are not quick to come along. lol
    LibbyLiz, I did try sending another email a few min ago.
    Lorie

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

Lorie,

My goodness, you've got a lot going on! No wonder I haven't heard from you (I sent you two replies). I hope all is well, or getting better!

• adichristi
    16 years ago

lostnca, Try "ion" Finishing Detangler at Sally Beauty Supply, if you have one there.

• lasmuertos
    16 years ago

Avocado extracts will really give wondrous results to her hair. Coconut oil can also be used. Tell her to not shampoo everyday if she's often at home or at the office. Too much shampoo causes dryness.

Sponsored