Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
current fashion

Posted by debbimc (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 22:03

I am in a slump--I really don't like most things I see in the stores. Those 3/4 sleeve painter frocky looking jackets. YUK! The dress & blouse prints look like double knit from the 60's & 70's. The sheer little tight things-yuk! Good gosh what happened to a nice flattering cut in a jacket. A lot of stuff at Penneys & same level stores looks like junk--then I go to Dillards & I can't afford a thing there anymore--not that I have seen much I would wear--some I would look totally foolish in. Aren't clothes way too expensive. I picked up a pair of slacks & they were $180 & I know that is low end in this type store. I want to look nice but I don't see the $$$ in the clothes. WHAT is a girl to do????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: current fashion

Maybe you could start looking in smaller stores you usually don't go in, see who has more classic styles and get a knowledgeable sales person to guide you; I find department stores hard to navigate and overwhelming at times, specially for clothes.

o

I agree with mitchdesj. Smaller stores are always better when you are not going for something in particular. Sales people are better persons to guide you because they would have already seen a number of combinations.

o

Good idea--I have to be in the mood as well. thanks

o

Yes definitely, it has to be a "good hair" day , lol..............

I recently had a half day set aside to go to a certain mall and look for clothes,
I ended being tired after one hour of walking around, couldn't figure it out.
I forced myself to stay another hour, accomplished nothing.

Other days, I'll stop by and find things I love in no time and it' s painless.

These last few years, I've been shopping ahead of the season, so as soon as new things arrive for the next season, I get what I need in the brands I like.
The size selection is better. We have a medium department store here that is not part of a chain, and I seem to find a lot there so I'm lucky in that respect.

o

I agree. The little shrunken jackets and polyester tops in wild prints that look like they should be in the maternity section--not so good for me. Also, please give me a pair of pants with the waist AT my waist. Why on earth do women want their pant waist bands below the waist?

I shop Penneys for basics (slacks, lingere) and smaller shops like Chicos which isn't inexpensive. I get other basics from LL Bean & Land's End. I cannot even find anything I like in Nordstroms.

o

What has happened to sleeves?? Real sleeves, not the "save some fabric" cap sleeves. When I weed out my older tops, I see where the measurement from the underarm seam to the hem of the sleeve is 4" on average. The new sleeves are 1" on average unless you go to plus sizes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here