Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French Manicures---Your Opinion Please

Posted by rosewest (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 20:07

One of the beauty consultants of a major fashion magazine stated that she thinks when she sees a French manicure: "Cheap!" She said she prefers short nails with a dark or natural polish. Now I'm not sure exactly what she meant by "cheap" (cheap inexpensive or cheap tacky or cheap trashy?)---but I just LOVE a French manicure especially in the summer time. I think it looks so nice, fresh, clean, and polished. What's your opinion???????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French Manicures---Your Opinion Please

It's a very classic, stylish look. I don't think it will ever go out of fashion. The key with a french manicure is to have it done properly. After several unsuccessful attempts I know that I would need a professional manicure for that style. Don't worry about the "beauty consultant", it's only one person's opinion.

o

I love the look of a well-done French manicure. Even more, I love pink/white acrylic (also sometimes called "Solar Nails"). It looks like French, only more natural, doesn't yellow in the sun, and it lasts a long time.

o

I also love the look of a French Manicure. It's classy and not at all cheap!

"Solar Nails" is a brand of an acrylic product by Creative Nail Design......not Pink & Whites; some of the little "nail shops" like to let you think it's something that it's really not. Some even tell you they are using gel on your nails when it's actually acrylic. Just to make more money.

Another very classy look is an American Manicure.

o

French manicures look very nice, not cheap in any way. I prefer a more natural looking manicure for myself, though.

o

Thank you for your opinions, ladies. I especially love a French manicure in spring and summer---I guess that's why I'm thinking about it right now. It just looks so fresh and summery to me. Shaun, what is an American manicure???

o

Rosewest,

An American Manicure (also known as a Beverly Hills Manicure) is a softer, more natural look than French, the white tips are polished in a softer, more muted white and the nail beds are a pinkish/neutral color.... it looks like your nails are very healthy and that you only have on clear polish. Does that make sense?

As your nail tech - you may just love it!

o

Here is a picture of an American Manicure

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

I don't think cheap, but I think fake nails. I'm not sure I've ever seen a french manicure on real nails, so that is why I think that way :)

o

Shaun...I wonder which type I have then? She uses a white acrylic on the tip, and then a pink which is over the nail bed and brushed over the white. Mine looks a lot like the photo you posted. The thing I love is that it doesn't yellow in the sun like my other acrylic with French did. It isn't that much more per fill, etc, and I don't mind paying the extra money because it looks better and lasts longer.

o

Maybe you have Pink and White acrylics?

o

Maybe so....now I'm stumped! :-) I'll have to ask them to show me the product the next time I go.

Thanks~

o

Not cheap, but I'll tell you what I think looks a little creepy on some people - not all: French manicured toenails that are a bit long.

o

Around here (So Cal), French Mani= pink & white. American Mani= beige and cream. HTH.

o

hahaha!! Like these?

o
toenails

Or, these?

o

I have a friend who tried a French manicure on her toes for the first time. Her toes aren't all perfectly straight and the highlighting of her toenails made this really apparent. Her toes looked like a jumble!

o

LOL! Shaun, where do you FIND these things?! Horrifying and fascinating at the same time.

o

I love a French Manicure even on my toes. However, it seems the white comes off so easily that it is not worth going to the shop and having it done. Does that happen to everyone else?

Alicia

o

I have natural nails and occassionaly get a French Manicure, I also think it looks very clean and neat. Unlike the fashion consultant, I never wear dark polish unless it's in the winter but what do I know I'm just an average Joe'ann. Oh yeah I think I'd rather have the dog's nails in the pics YIKES!

o

I am so embarassed. I like French manicures, even on my toenials, when I call them French pedicures.

o

EW - I may be the only person on the world that HATES French pedicures... makes the toe nails look freakishly Howard Hughes long IMHO.

Looks okay on fingers though.....

Alexa

o

I have natural nails and love the neutral colored American manicure and pedicures. Very nice and clean looking. Tons of compliments. People are surprised that it is an "American" manicure. It is important to request a neutral color for the tips.

o

I have natural nails and shock! I paint french manicure myself. I think it looks lovely and fresh. During winter I only do it occasionally but I do love the look. I don't have long fingernails, I only have a slight tip you can barely see over the top. I think its rather cheap looking if you go too long. (that is only my opinion, if you like the look long, thats great, to each her own right?)

o

Hate the French manicure. (I think I remember reading somewhere that the French didn't even invent it) Especially when they are so long. Too suburban-matron for my taste. (sorry, but you did ask)

For a more natural look, I like very clean nails, kind of short, buffed or with clear or beige polish. Simple, tasteful, understated. In the winter, I like short nails with vampire-red polish.

My favorite was the dog! I once painted my dog's toe-nails with pewter chrome polish when that was all the rage. He looked like a club-kid.

The weirdest picture is the female reincarnation of Howard Hughes. How does the woman wear shoes?

o

I want to recommend you visit the site: http://www.mostvaluabletips.com/women here you will find all you need about cosmetics and everything about manicure. The information is really good. I checked it yesterday 'cause I needed some tips for manicure (i had a big party jiji) and i found so many helpful advices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mostvaluabletips

o

I used to love french manicures.I still think they look nice,but I'm one of those people who likes to be different.So with so many people getting them now,I dont want to look like a cookie cutter human,LOL.

Every now and then I still one done (maybe once a year)but the rest of the time I like to try different looks.

o

I find that French manicures just don't last as long as a manicure with one solid polish color. And my manicurist filed my nails square when she did French for me. I prefer round. With regular polish, a professional anicure lasts me about a week, sometimes longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here