Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dyeing black hair to a brown shade

Posted by esha_2010 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 16:43

I have black hair (natural) and really want to get a brown color(without the reddish tint) without bleaching. I was thinking of using an dark ash blonde or light ash brown dye. Which one has a better chance of lightening my hair to a dark or medium brown color ? I was also wondering whether Revlon or Garnier would be a better choice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dyeing black hair to a brown shade

how light a brown? without lifting your own color (which will oxidize it, which will leave you with red undertones forever) the best you're likely to get is an espresso brown, with the darkest possible ash brown - anything else? I would leave to a professional colorist.

if you're determined to use box dyes - you might want to try a glaze instead of a full coloring?

o
RE: Dyeing black hair to a brown shade

Then I first read this I assumed that you are of a "certain age" - that point in time when black hair becomes too stark - even if natural. The model, Dayle Haddon, had black hair and when she reached her late 50s early 60s had it coloured a dark brunette, to take the edge off. My friend recently did the same thing. But they both had it done professionally - and kept it dark. I wouldn't even think of doing it myself. My friend and I both recently started using a different mascara - it is brown - but brown with a black base. Doesn't look as harsh but still is darker than brown which really doesn't suit either of us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here