Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where can I find this perfume?

Posted by vieja (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 14:17

A long time ago I got a perfume oil called: "Ambergris Oil" that came in a small black bottle with a wand applicator in the bottle. The name Houbigant was on the front & Alyssa Ashley, Inc., Div. New York, New York 10019 on the back label. I tried sending a letter to this address but it came back.

I got so many inquiries & compliments about this fragrance & was a favorite of mine. Would really appreciate any ideas in how to find out if it is still made & where to find it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where can I find this perfume?

Do a Google search. You may find it there.

o

Have you read this discussion on the ambergris ? who knew?

Here is a link that might be useful: ambergris discussion

o

mitchdesj:
Thanks for the info. .... wow!! : I guess I am not the only one who fell in love with this fragrance & are still searching for it again!

I wonder why it isn't still made as the ambergris I understand is now retrieved as 'excrement' floating free from whales & shouldn't be banned. Wonder how I can call Alyssa Ashley/Houbigant for more recent info.?!

Like others, I also go to the small empty bottle I still have & try to get just another whiff of that aroma ... it really is intoxicating & seems to do the same to others who are around one wearing it!

I really appreciate your leading me to this site; thanks.

- Vieja

o

vieja, I wouldn't want the job of swimming around trying to capture the floating ambergris, lol..... I think they should try to recreate it in a lab and come up with something similar.

o

So many so-called 'ambergris oil' being advertized but unless it is the original Alyssa Ashley I'm suspicious. I have bought several that were said to be 'original' but turned out to be definitely a musk aroma ... NOT the ambergris so many of us are searching for!

o

I guess it's a lost cause, one year later and it's not found; don't despair, maybe someone has a lead now.

o

http://www.perfume.com/houbigant/

http://www.100perfumes.com/forums/Perfume/m14608.htm

You have probably been down these paths. Apparently you are not alone in your quest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houbigant history.

o

Very interesting article on Houbigant. I used to wear Chantilly back in the 60's. In the 80's I started to wear a perfume by designer Laura Ashley, called Laura Ashley No. 1. She died from a fall around 1990 and her company closed, but I have been able to find a few bottles for sale on Ebay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here