Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommendation for self-tanner

Posted by toad_CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 04 at 12:41

I've never used a self-tanning product (bronzer?) before, but I'm really tired of looking at my own fish-belly white legs (with those nice purple veins scattered here and there). So I'd like to try one of those self-tanners, but haven't a clue which to use. Any opinions out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommendation for self-tanner

toad, even though I don't use one myself, I've heard people recommend numerous and diverse ones; I think the key is to exfoliate dead skin diligently first, then apply a thin coat evenly, and depending on if you like it, reapply another thin coat to intensify the tan....

o

The newest thing here is a spray tan. I haven't had it done, but I think they have a booth, and you go in and it is sprayed on you so that you don't have streaks.

o

debbeeanne, seems like a good idea to have a pro spray you, since it's hard to do it on yourself without streaking; a friend did my arms and shoulders once because I was wearing a special dress to a party, she did a good job but I don't think I could have done it myself....

o

DH did that spray tan last month and it worked pretty well. It cost $35 for 3 sessions, he's only used it once but it worked pretty good - gives you a nice, even tan.

o

I use Coppertone and it works pretty well. The biggest issue is getting it on evenly and not "tanning" the parts that are supposed to be white, like your palms and parts of your feet.

I tried keeping the underside of my arms untanned too, but ended up with a line so I just do everything. I don't care that anyone knows it's a fake tan, as long as I'm not pasty!

The link below is pretty good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Self Tanner Ratings

o

When I do it myself I use BananaBoat. When I have it professionally done I go to Mystic Tan. It is the booth thing and it is wonderful. It takes less than 5 minutes for your entire body and does not streak or smear and goes on evenly. You can also buy the airbrush equipment (from an art store) and order the liquid tan stuff on-line and have someone spray it on you (I've also done this). It takes a little practice to get it even, but not much. You do need someone else to do it for you, though, because you can't reach your back and the back of your legs easily. Also, you need a space that you don't mind getting some of the excess tan stuff on. We did it in our garage. I can't remember where I oredered my tanning stuff from, but I found it by doing a search for airbrush tanning supplies.

o

You might want to give this site a gander.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunless.com

o

I just used Cliniques foam self tanner last night, and I liked it. It's colored so you can see where you apply it to avoid streaks. You'll look darker at first because of the color in the foam, but after you shower you're left with just a medium color. It cost $15...

o

I've used so many kinds that I can't remember the names of all of them. Most of them worked well and I like them. Each time I would use a line for a few months I would become allergic to it. The last kind I used was Clinique and I thought everything they had was hypoallergenic, but I became allergic to it too. I wonder if the spray-on kinds have the same ingredients in them. I'm so tired of legs that looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

o

My favorite product hands down is million dollar tan. Before that I was a fan of fake bake but I hated the smell and the color was a tad bit orange. I actually bought a spray tan machine through their website and their tan icon solution and started spray tanning my friends. Since then I have started my own business and it was easy to learn and has provided me with a great supplemental income. Once a week I go into the hair salon where I work and offer spray tans to my clients. There is no better spray tan out there.

o

For being an inexpensive product, I was impressed with "Jergens Natural Glow". I used it last spring until I was able to get my legs and arms tanned. I even used it afterwards every so often too for a moisturizer. It didn't leave that 'orange' color. Can't beat the price @ $1.97!!

o

Lisamelia, I just purchased a bottle of Million Dollar Tan to try out, but do you know if it comes with a spray bottle? I am looking forward to a colorful glow without the harm of the sun!

o

I've tried quite a few brands--some cheaper, some very expensive and the one thing that worked the best for me, no matter which brand I used, after applying the lotion and letting it dry thoroughly, I took a hand towel and sorta zig zagged back and forth very lightly on my legs to take away any extra lotion. If you're very careful it won't smear and it seems like my tan looks smoother and any excess is rubbed off so it doesn't stain any of your clothes. BT

o

I got it a few days ago and LOVE the Million Dollar tan. The lotion is green, I am just doing my face, neck and chest and arms but is is very even in color and a little goes a long way. It never looks orange, just a nice glow. I got the darkest formula because I am so pale and have to get a new badge for work Thursday with a pic and don't want to look pasty.

I highly recommend it!

o
Million Dollar tan

I got it a few days ago and LOVE the Million Dollar tan. The lotion is green, I am just doing my face, neck and chest and arms but is is very even in color and a little goes a long way. It never looks orange, just a nice glow. I got the darkest formula because I am so pale and have to get a new badge for work Thursday with a pic and don't want to look pasty.

I highly recommend it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here