SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mallrat_gw

damaged hair needs extreme dye-job... help!!!

mallrat
18 years ago

Okay, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. A few of my aunts (and my mother) are beauticians. My Aunt Lisa owns a hair salon in downtown Pittsburgh that I go to when I want to get my hair done, free of charge. Having this wonderful advantage, I've experimented a LOT over the years with different hair colors. So, needless to say, my hair is quite damaged from all of that dyeing.

I had recently dyed my hair black. The jet black hair was too harsh for my very white complexion, so I went to get highlights. Apparently the bleach was just too much for my poor weak hair, because instead of having highlights go all the way down, they broke off a few inches from the top of my head. I left the salon that day with jet black hair and a ring of blonde around the crown of my head. Luckily it looked like I meant to do it... sort of rock star chic I suppose. But it was not what I wanted.

Prom is coming up, and I really did not want this funky, two-tone hair for the formal event. Afraid to return to my Aunt Lisa's salon, a friend and I re-dyed my hair black with some out-of-the-box color from Wal-Mart. It turned out just as it was supposed to, jet black once again (even though we used soft black color), but since we didn't use a filler some of the blonde is starting to show through a bit in the front again (but it is very unnoticeable). I'm still displeased with this hair color on me. It is VERY black, and looks quite gothic and "halloween-ish" against my very fair complexion -- not a good look for prom (or for daily life, for that matter).

My 23-year-old sister, Ashley, told me that Aunt Lisa made a mistake by leaving the bleach on way too long, and sticking my head under the hair dryer only made it worse (my head was smoking when I came out). Ashley is confident that she can dye my hair blonde before prom without it all cracking off a few inches from the scalp. Of course I am terrified of this, because it took me years to grow my hair long again, but this hair color looks much too dramatic and something needs to be done.

I will not go back to Aunt Lisas salon to have this corrected. Not only do I not trust her anymore, but she will ridicule and lecture me the whole time about dyeing my hair myself at home. Ashley and I have been around the hair business our whole lives, and we are capable of dyeing hair correctly. SheÂs dyed my hair at home before using filler and professional color from SallyÂs (my mother has a beautician license that we use to buy the color needed).

Now my question for you is: Is it possible to get my hair back to blonde without having to get a short haircut? I realize it will be very damaged and brittle, but as long as I donÂt lose any length or a whole lot of hair (my hair is thin as it is), I will be okay. My sister is confident she can do it. Do you girls think you could give me some steps as to how to go about this properly, and perhaps some extra precautions to take to make the process induce less damage?

Any tips, thoughts, plans, opinions, help, etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking time to read this!

- Angela, 16

Comments (9)

Sponsored