Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hair Texture Question

Posted by carla35 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 21:43

Ok, for the last few months by hair has been way different than usual. I just can't figure what is wrong with it.

It appears overly dry and damaged and very dull but I have no split ends whatsoever and I've done olive oil and honey treatments which seem to actually appear to make my hair even duller. Or at least, they don't help in the least bit.

I use Dove shampoo and conditioner.. sometimes I use Infusium or the conditioning treatment that comes with the hair color (Nice N Easy) I use. That conditioner "used" to make my hair shiny but now... nothing.

I am beginning to wonder if my hair isn't really damaged but maybe something else is going on. It is strong, and the strands seem thick, but they are hard, and again, no split ends but my hair "looks" very dull and dry to me.

What should I try? What happened to my beautiful hair? Could I have conditioned it too much or left the color on my hair too long?

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hair Texture Question

I don't know how old you are, but I have found the older I get the poorer the condition of my hair is.

o

I would suggest going to a Salon and asking their advice for a shampoo and conditioner.I realize the products they sell are more expensive but if your hair is dry or damaged I think it would be worth a try.I have a Biolage Conditioning Balm that I am using now.
Lois

o

You may also want to consider diet. I googled it and got a little info below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair and Diet

o

Thanks guys,
Coincidentally, when I got my hair cut just a couple weeks ago the beautitian did put some Biolage balm stuff in - but I didn't notice a difference - should I have with just one use?

I did do a vinegar rinse and am trying a new shampoo (someone advised switching shampoos from time to time helps hair). Between the vinegar rinse and the new shampoo, my hair has gotten slightly better.

My diet is really, good, plus I sometimes do a multi. vitamin with Biotin which is supposed to be good for your hair. If anything, I may be getting too much good stuff! But thanks for the diet idea.

I think it may have a lot to do with my age and hormones or something. It just seemed to change over night. I did use a slightly different hair color this time around... maybe I'll go back to the old one.

o

Are you using a permenant color? And if so do you touch up the roots or color your whole head each time? If you color your whole head each time instead of following the instructions for root touch ups then the ends of the hair can absorb too much color. Some permanant colors are very flat and don't reflect the light well, this could be the problem since you tried a new color. I always use a semi or demi permenant color because the grays come out lighter and look like highlights.

o

Is you hair straight or curly. Naturally curly website has some great ideas for hair care even if your hair is not curly, just wavy.

As for salon products--never been convinced the price is worth it. Compare ingredients etc. and not much difference. I've noticed that when something is labeled as 'natural' it tends to have more stuff in it that are irritants (essential oils). Also check out cosmeticcop.com for Paula Begoun's research. Her books are worth a read from the library.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naturally curly site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here