Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keeping a wraparound skirt closed in the wind?

Posted by irislover7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 17:13

This is probably a dumb question, and one I should know the answer to since I'm female and over 40. I wear jeans 99% of the time, so I'm not too knowledgeable about dressier clothes. I bought a wraparound skirt. I tried wearing it for the first time on a windy day and it blew right open. So I went back in and changed into something else. What do people do? Use a safety pin on the inside? Or something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keeping a wraparound skirt closed in the wind?

Save it for a day with no wind.

o

Barnmom makes a good point! However, there is a product called Hollywood Fashion Tape which is fantastic for preventing "wardrobe malfunctions." It must be available in other places, but the only place I've found it is QVC.

You get two tins with more tape than you can use. It makes a nice girlfriend gift since you have one for you and one for a friend. I like it to keep gapping button blouses closed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollywood Fashion Tape

o

Celebs and people who get photographed a lot by the Paparazzi, have weights sewn into the hems of their skits to keep them down in the wind.

You can also sew some Velcro on to keep them closed.

Or just don't buy wrap around skirts anymore.

o

The weights (drapery weights, I imagine) and tape are a good idea! I stay away from clothes that are likely to gap, fall off, fall open, blow open, blow up! Wrap dresses, wrap skirts, strapless clothes. Too much stress.

o

Or you could do what I do...wear some kind of form-fitting shorts underneath the skirt (spandex?).That way if the skirt blows up,only shorts will be seen.

o

If it were me, I would sew on a couple of snaps in "strategic" places. I think that the drapery weights would tend to pull down the fabric in that area, and velcro wouldn't let the material "flow" correctly. Also, as velcro is somewhat thick, it could be a noticable.

Yes, in an emergency, safety pins come in real handy.

o

Eons ago, when I was in high school or college, wrap around skirts were the rage. We wore decorative large pins that looked like a very large safety type pin. That was the only way to remain modestly dressed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here