Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunscreen for face - non lotion

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 14:30

I have started using alpha hydroxy stuff on my face, and it says that it will make my face more sun sensitive. Also I know I should wear sunscreen. But my face is so sensitive, I cannot wear moisturizer based sunscreens. I need something that is maybe gylcerin based or something like that. I used to get a product from Clinique that wasn't too bad, but so expensive and I can't easily get Clinique products. But also the sunscreen bothers my skin. But I need to wear it. I just can't stand creams on my face, they just are bound to irritate it. Anyone have a non-moisturizer sunscreen that they can wear on their face during the day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunscreen for face - non lotion

I am a HUGE fan of Shuseudo SPF 55 lotion! I have used it for a long time and I also use AH products as well as Rettin A and it also works well as a primer for under make-up. You can find it at almost any make-up counter. I get mine at Dillards. A little goes a LONG way. It is about 35$ a bottle IIRC. :)SO it may seem kind of high but it will last you a LONG time! I will say it is hands downt he best sunscreen I have ever used and they are wonderful about samples there if you want to try before you buy.
HTH.

http://www.us.shiseido.com/suncare_a/

o

I have very sensitive skin but have never heard of anyone that couldn't wear a face lotion. Can you not find an unscented, sensitive skin face lotion with sun proctection in it?

I'm guessing maybe you just don't like the feel of lotions on your face??? I used to be like that and thought they clogged my pores, etc... but you really just need to shop around. If that is the case with you, there are many face lotions that don't feel lotiony and heavy but rather feel kind of light and almost go on more like water. Is that you problem? Of course I wouldn't put regular sunscreen on your face.. but most face lotions contain sunscreen. In fact, it's hard ot find a face lotion without some in it nowadays. And, many brands don't leave your face feeling greasy.

There are some make-ups (mineral powders, foundations, etc) that provide sun protection too, but those will usually cause an adverse reaction on sensitive skin far more quicker than a face lotion would.

I'm not personally convinced that you need anything over 15 or 30 sun protection on your face.... Unless you're outside all day or something. I think some of the higher protections are just too thick and don't really do much more than the lower ones. You may want to do some research on that yourself. You do need to make sure that UVA and UVB are both included in the sunscreen, and from what I understand, there are some newer products that contain coverage for even more sun protection...not a higher number but more along the lines of coverage from a different spectrum of the sun. If you are highly sensitive to the sun or prone to skin cancer and such, you may want to do some more research on that too. There's a lot out there.. some of it priced quite reasonably.

o

Banana Boat Baby Tear Free formula is what I use on my face. It does not sting my eyes, is hypoallergenic and is not scented.
I bought it at the drug store.

I know it's not what you asked for, but even though it is in lotion form it is not greasy and does the job.

o

It's not that I can't wear any type of "lotion" on my face, it depends on what is in the lotion. The stronger sunscreen is tough--I used to work on a boat on the Great Lakes so I used to have to wear it and it was tough on my skin and even worse if I got it in my eyes. I can use a glycerin based "lotion" but nothing greasy. Even Clinique's moisturizing lotion irritates my skin. For regular protection I use an aloe vera gel, but it doesn't have sunscreen. I just want some light sun protection. I don't even know if Clinique makes that oil-free sunscreen any more. I know it was costly but that's what I had to use on the boat.

o

Most sunscreens burn my face. I keep trying though. I finally found L'Oreal Ombrelle Face 45. Yes, you can feel it and tell for about 30 minutes after you apply it but not so much after that. I don't know if it absorbs or you just get used to it. I like and will stick with this one.

o

I haven't used this, so I can't say if it works, but it may be what you need. It seems like it has a no color finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: mineral sunscreen

o

I buy Blue Lizard brand. you can get it on drugstore.com. It doesn't make my face breakout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Lizard

o

I have used Beauticontrol's Cell Block C. It is a UVA/UVB Spf 30 that goes on easily. I don't like the lotion either but this particular brand seems to soak in quickly. It also has Vitamin C added to help with absorbing and moisturizing. It is a little pricey at $30 but it lasts a long time. If you would like to try it let me know. I would be happy to let you try it out at half price. Good luck in your search!

o
summiebee

Yes, Shisdeido is a great product (an old neighbor is a buyer for them). ALL sunscreens need to be replaced every 6 months- the oxides break down, so they no longer protect against UVA UVB rays. In order to be protected, you MUST replace it every 6 months. Some of our skins good or bad looks is hereditary- but much is from sun damage. I used to work on surgery- I have seen many women- few men that have had facework done because of the damage. I then started using sunscreen- in my late 30's, but I have already had 11 pre-cancer and cancer spots taken off my face. Lots of sun damage was already done. If only I knew then what I know now.....

o

Thanks for the tips ladies!! Now I have to figure out where to get some of this stuff. I don't think we have a Dillards near where I live. I get almost all of my toiletries at either the drug store or grocery store. I guess I could look online, I'm sure there are some online sources for a lot of this stuff.

I have fair skin and am now paying the price for not being more dilligent about sunscreen when I was young. I was never a big tanner and did use it some, but I should have been more faithful. But then I am not much for any kind of beauty routine. Unfortunately as one ages, one needs to spend more time on maintenance!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here