Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a new haircut....where do you get ideas from

Posted by Cremin (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 03 at 12:30

When you feel like a new style, where do you all get your ideas from?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a new haircut....where do you get ideas from

Hi Cremin,

There are magazines for hairstyles that are a good place to start. I also like catalogs, you'll find a lot of realistic pictures there.

Sometimes the stars have extensions and your seeing their best, so they might look a little different than my hair and yours.

Try and find pictures that resemble your hair. Meaning is it thick,fine,straight,thin, etc. Also, different colors will make a syle look different.

Have fun with your new do! Find a sylist that is current in trends if you want trendy.

o

If I see a great hairstyle in a magazine (US magazine has a lot of good ones), I will cut it out and keep it in a folder for later. Most of the time if I don't bring a picture to the hairdresser, she doesn't understand how I want my hair. (Of course, even if I do bring a pic they don't always do a great job, but at least they have an idea.)

o

I get my ideas from the person who cuts my hair. He knows that some styles just won't work with my hair type or face shape. If you find a good hairdresser, they are full of great ideas.

o

I cut a picture of Meg Ryan out of magazine, told the hairdresser I want my hair cut like that, she insisted she couldn't do it, I had to have a body wave first. I had the perm and cut done, but my hair was badly damaged. It formed knots every night,it hurt to brush or comb my hair. I went elsewhere, had my damaged hair treated with a restructuring treatment, then cut short and straight. I still carry the picture of Meg, but I'll never have hair like hers. Sigh. . .

o

The best tips I've ever heard about chosing hairstyles are 1). When you find a pic of a cut you like, cover the face and look at the hairstyle AGAIN. Many times, you will be surprised that you don't like it as much! 2). Pull your hair back completely off your face and look in a mirror. Use lipstick or an eye pencil and trace the shape of your face right on the mirror! Try to find a style that fits YOUR face shape. Those are the styles that will truly look the best on YOU. If you find a pic, trace the shape of the face and see if it matches your face shape.

o

Try this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Searchable hairdo database

o

Stay away from an oversprayed hairdo. that looks like cement. Chin length is good.

o

Barnmom, thanks for the great link. I printed out a style I liked and took the picture to my hairdresser today. I am so happy with my new style/cut!

Helen

o

You know those hair do's where the hair kind of poofs up on the top and the back, but is actually straight? Like a Heather Locklear look, I guess. How do they do that? Do they rat it, or do you get that look with mousse? I have long hair, past my shoulders and it is pretty thick and just hangs straight down. I want to get that "poofy look". How do I do that?

o

Lots of back-combing and "product"!

o

Re: those puffy hairdoos probably start with
a razor cut or "texturized" as the pros say...
then lots of artfull blowdrying with lots of expensive
product.

I have straight hair and one hairdresser
actually really thinned out the back crown area so
I would get the lift... then you can put some mousse
or what have you on the roots in the crown area and
you will get some help in that area. Cool trick.

Re: new "do"...

When I need a new idea, I try to pick a
very young stylist ! Maybe they don't give
me THE idea, but they do something different
enough to get me thinking.

Other than that, I have gone to a well-seasoned big
city hairdresser to bring me up-to-date when my style
was getting "old." They introduced me to texturizing.

ciao
/k

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here