Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
curly hair

Posted by jjbeauty123 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 10:46

Hey girls,
I have really curly hair that is dry and prone to frizz. I've tried lots of different serums and mousses but none seem to work can any of you help? Getting sick of wasting money on things that never do anything

HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: curly hair

I don't have curly hair, but my hair has gotten dry and frizzy. I think it's my age. Is the dry and prone to frizz a new condition for you? I have tried a variety of products to get "oil" back in it. Tried different shampoos and conditioners too. I Drink lots of water. Definitely some products make my hair worse. But I haven't been scientific about keeping track. I get free samples and mix and match too often! Kiehl products eliminate something that makes a lot of lather. That's supposed to be better for hair-- not to foam up as much.

o

Try checking out curlynikki.com. Also google, the curly method. I'm headed to aveda institute to try their botanical treatment for deep moisture, see if there is an institute near you. The institute services are extremely cheap

o

First of all, stop using the mousse. They usually have a lot of alcohols in then and are very drying. Your hair is dry and frizzy because it is damaged and dry. If you use regular shampoo, stop! This is the single most important thing you can do for your curly hair. 'Wash' your hair with conditioner only or a low or no poo product like is available from Devachan. I also don't like to use any products that have any of the 'cones, like dimethicone, in them, because while they can work at first, they build up in your hair. That means most serums are bad for curls too. Then, get rid of any brushes you own. Detangle your curls with a wide tooth comb or fingers only. A brush destroys your curl.

I like using Kinky Curly Knot Today conditioner and finish off with a little 'Archangel' gel from Devachan, but the particular products that would work best for you would depend on your particular hair texture. I have thick, fine, soft, not very damaged, loose corkscrew curls in a short cut but someone with coarse, tight corkscrew curls would use very different products, as would someone with long Botticelli s-curls.

But whatever you do, lay off the shampoo. Your hair will thank you for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deva curl

o

My niece has very curly hair and hates it. But it looks so cute on her. She conditions it every day and only shampoos everyother day to every 3rd day.

o

I think you should get a keratin treatment for your hair. This will help to keep your hair frizz free.

o

try hot ot oil or keratin treatment.

o

I'm a curly girl and I absolutely have to agree with Slowginfizz. The key is to stop using traditional hair products that are full of alcohol. You can't go wrong with the Devachan products, but it's an expensive habit. I've yet to find anything comparable, but Loreal has an everpure line for curly hair that I use on occasion.

Highly recommend that you read the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey and get a deva hair cut. You can look on the Devachan website for hair stylists who have been Deva trained. Before getting a Deva cut, I was getting my hair cut every six weeks. Now, I go to Devachan once a year for a hair cut. IMO, Lorraine Massey is the curly hair expert. Look for videos on you tube to give you styling ideas.

http://www.devachansalon.com

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Book: Curly Girl

o

I'm a guy with curly, frizzy hair. Look in the ethnic products section for tea tree oil, olive oil, or aragon oil. Also pick up a boar bristle brush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here