Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracked heels - why only women?

Posted by organicboat (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 2:32

Has anyone ever wonder why only we women get cracked heels, but not the men? Is it really because of the shoes and sandals that we wear?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracked heels - why only women?

Men do get cracked heels, I notice that in the summer. My husband has very soft heels and feet but he always wears socks and flat comfortable shoes 99% of the time, rarely sandals and rarely barefeet so you might have a point.

o

My heels get dry from wearing sandals and open-back shoes with no socks, which is most of the time here in California. Men don't usually do that.

o

A friend of mine pointed out that one gets cracked heels from wearing open backed shoes with no socks. I was skeptical about this theory, but since that conversation, I have noticed that this does seem to be the case in my experience. Since then, if I do wear sandals, I wear socks unless I am at the beach or somewhere where my feet will get wet.

Most of the time I stick with canvas shoes in the summer rather than sandals, feet don't seem to get so ragged that way.

o

My pedicurist told me that the tissue on the bottom of your feet is very porous like a sponge. She says after showering you MUST dry your feet thoroughly or the water build up in there and causes the skin to stretch and therefore split

o

Hate to differ, newbegin, but if I dry my feet well it's only between my toes. I wear socks or hosiery and my heels are always soft. In summer, if I wear sandals or go barefoot, in a couple of days I can see my heels get rough so shoes go back on. Other causes for cracked heels and feet are severe foot fungus.

o

About once a month or so when I am going to wear white sox and sneakers, I liberally apply baby oil gel to the bottoms of my feet. Then I put on the sox and sneakers and by the time I take them off, my feet are nice and smooth, especially the heels. You might have to do this 2 days in a row if your heels are really cracked. You could probably do the same thing with socks at night, but I don't like to wear socks at night. I wash my white socks in hot water and bleach which removes any traces of baby oil. I tried it with darker socks, but a warm water wash didn't remove the oil.

o

I have stopped going barefoot due to plantar fascitis. I no longer have rough heels. They feel like a babies butt. I went bare foot unless I was outside. I just noticed this the other day. It's a bonus b/c I do hate wearing shoes in the house

o

I really don't know what causes cracked heels, however, here is a cheap way to get rid of them. I use a product called "Udderly Smooth" which I purchase at CVS. It is used on cows udders when they are cracked. Might sound strange but it works. At night after my shower, I rub into my heals & put on a couple pair of socks. Even my husband uses now, he was wearing the heels out of all his socks until he started doing this also.

o

Wow... This is informative but yet kind of disturbing and disgusting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here