Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_5

Hair Stylists - likes and gripes

elizabeth_5
18 years ago

I have a great hair stylist.

PROS:

She cuts with scissors.

She can cut poker straight hair in layers and not make it look chopped up. This is a talent not easy to find in small town Ohio, believe me.

She does a terrific coloring and highlighting for me. I get many, many complements on my hair.

She has a small shop (4-5 chairs) in a nice strip that is very quiet. I don't end up with a head buzzing from the noise level.

She plays nice instrumental music at a converstional volume.

CONS:

She forgets I don't want cream rinse.

I have really thick hair and she never gets it entirely dry at the roots.

She loves to use lots of "product" (the current term for hair goop apparently) when styling my hair. I swear she sometimes uses at least three liquids and tops it off with hair spray.

This leaves my hair noticably dull, heavy and feeling like it got greased at the roots. With the dampness and the "product", I end up with a flat hairdo about half an hour after I leave the salon.

I usually end up washing it that night. Those "products" do all wash out of course and the lovely shine is back.

I've mentioned this to her at length several times, but if I don't tell her each time, she just starts using more and more "product." I'm a monthly regular BTW.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to leave her. Her fees are on the low end of high for this area, but I don't put that in the Cons since I value her talents that highly. In my life's experience with hair salons, I consider her close to a jewel and hope she never retires. :)

I'm interested in other's Likes and Gripes. Should hair stylists should start asking patrons their "product" preferences each time (if they can't remember), like store baggers ask "paper or plastic?" Seems like a reasonable expectation.

Oh, and any hair dressers in the forum? Feel free to grip about clients. ;D

Comments (10)

Sponsored