Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eyeglasses frame style

Posted by cocooner (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 15:21

I am in my late 50s and need to get new glasses. I would like something classic that won't look dated in a few years since I tend to keep my glasses for a while. Right now I have the typical gold oval wire rims. I am thinking about those in a pinkish tint. I'm also considering frames with a rectangular shape. I have a roundish face with fair skin and hair and use progressive lenses. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eyeglasses frame style

The best and, really, only way to choose frames is to try all of them on. You might like a certain shape on a friend but it doesn't look good on you. You need to take time at the eyeglass store and try on different styles.

As for the rose-tint, that is really dating yourself. If you want tinted glasses I would go for the Transitions lenses, they make the glasses into sunglasses when you are in the sun. I would stay away from tinted glasses otherwise.

o

Thanks for your response. I would not get pink tinted lenses; rather I'm talking about the metal frame color having a bluish pink tint to it since I have light cool colored skin.

I found some great videos on you tube about choosing eyeglasses. The site is monkeysee dot com. The woman has a model in which she puts on various styles, colors, etc and shows what works and why. Other sites have words or someone explaining ideas but no models.

The prevailing wisdom on most sites states that if you have a round face, you should have angular frames and vice versa. She shows through accessories and glasses why that is not so. I found her videos helpful and perhaps others would too.

o

Ooh, good, I am SO glad you weren't considering pink for your lenses, I haven't seen those since the 70's, and even then they weren't appealing!

I wear glasses too, and the unfortunate thing about frames is that you do have to try them on before choosing. Even one millimeter higher or lower on one side or in the middle will make or break the deal.

Go in armed with your knowledge and your "want" list and let the salesperson show you those. Hopefully you will score with exactly what you want. I went in last year (my insurance covers up to $300/year for glasses) and I am very hard on my glasses, so I do need to replace them yearly. I headed for the usual wire rim section, my husband headed to the designer section and I got a pair with purple metalic rims and blue metallic arms. Never would have picked them out myself, but they are a good match for me and fun!

Every glasses store you see just go in and try on pairs, it is free and you will have a larger search pool.

BTW, like the pink frame idea!!!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: my glasses, but I chose the purple metallic

o

Oh, I've been trying on frames. I think that I'll probably get the pink ones. I like the purple ones that you picked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here