Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crocs: for or against ?

Posted by mitchdesj (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 9:38

Without wanting to stir up a controversial thread, and keeping in mind that I have a sense of humor about these, is it possible to find a more unflattering shoe design ? specially on women over 45 ?

I propose a ban on these, lol......

Try to convince me otherwise !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crocs: for or against ?

LOL Mitch - good topic! They are so ugly aren't they? More and more friends and family are wearing these, due to "comfort". But they said that about Birkenstocks too, and I never bought those either.

I have an "out" though - the Crocs don't fit me - too wide - nyah-nyah!

o

I'm with you. I never understand why anyone feels they have to choose comfort over beauty. With a bit of effort it's easy to combine the two. They are not mutually exclusive.But, if I had to, beauty would always win out!

o

I don't own a pair, but I think they're kinda cute! (Although they look suspiciously like my $8 gardening clogs -- only I suspect they're much more expensive!) I doubt I'd actually buy a pair for myself, but on little kids they're adorable. :-)

o

i saw these on an ad that had a woman with a macaroni necklace and the ad read: "ugly can be beautiful"
um, no it can't
that's why it's ugly
i would use these for slipping on and tramping around in lakes etc.
maybe doing dirty activities
but never for fashion!

o

Ugh! that is the most hideious looking shoe I have EVER seen! I wouldnt be caught dead in those,for real!

o

Even I, who makes no claim ever to being fashionable, refuse to purchase a pair of these!

When the local Copeland's was going out of business, they had walls and walls of the fake Crocs in every gaudy color until the bitter end. No one bought them even at close-out price.

o

I've been wearing gardening clogs for years. I don't see Crocs as a viable substitute. I did buy a pair of Payless knockoffs and wear them around the house, but that's it. I'd rather the more substantial gardening clogs for outdoor wear.

It's a fad that a lot of people have embraced for one reason or another. I think they're cute on kids.

o

I own a pair and love them, bought a black pair. They really are comfortable.

o

Ugh!oshinn, I totally agree, ugly is ugly-no matter which way you put it! Would never buy a pair! Also they have been known to be dangerous and get stuck in escalator steps!! (OOOOoooo dangerous fashion)

o

I have 2 pair, one in white and one in black.

/ducking for cover

I am a nurse, and I have to say they are the Lightest and Most Comfortable shoe I have put on my feet in a long time. I will say that I am partial to clogs, and previous to these I was wearing a nursemates clog/sneaker.

When they first came out I was like ya'll, swearing I'd never let one within 10 feet of my manicured little pinky toe. But when my mom of all people got a pair and gushed about them, I figured I was REALLY behind the times. I got mine (both knock-offs) for $9.99 for one pair at Target, and one pair for $12.99 thru a nursing uniform catalog website.

Once you feel how spongy and light and airy they are on your feet, you forget just how fugly they are, or at least I did :-P

april

o

They're good for on a dive boat. You're already in a wetsuit with permament face mask marks, so what's the damage in an ugly, yet comfy and slip-resistant shoe?

Beyond that I don't see too much use for them. I do wish normal shoes would come in as many colors though. I am totally bored with brown, black, and white.

o

I saw a grey-haired man (definitely over 45, as am I) wearing khaki bermuda shorts and bright yellow crocs at the gas station this afternoon.

It looked a bit odd to me, but he seemed comfortable so what the heck.

o

I just LOVE my Crocs!!! Love 'em. Love 'em. Love 'em.

They are THE most comfortable shoes *ever*. Lightweight. Spongy-cushiony. It's like walking on marshmallows.

I have three pair. I'm getting more for myself too.

I gave them as Xmas gifts and people loved them. (Or at least SAID they did.)

I don't think they look ugly. They make great "house shoes". They slip right on and off your feet with the strap put forward.

They make great "yard shoes". Mud and grass rinse right off.

If you get the ones that do not have the vents in the top they keep your feet warm, in the winter, outside. They are completley water proof and don't become soaked if you wear them on snow, and they do not get salt stains on them either.

If you are going to be doing a lot of walking on pavement or hard surfaces, these are the things to get. The comfort is amazing.

I don't think they are ugly. Of course, one would not wear them to a formal event, they are not intended for that. I wouldn't wear my Earth shoes to a formal event either either.

I do not understand people who put fashion and beauty before comfort. I work on my feet all day, and I am not going to have aching, bleeding feet because I wanted to 'look good'.

Also, if one works in a restaurant or hospital, you would not believe how dirty your shoes can become in just one day. Crocs clean right up and look like brand new.

I do not understand how Crocs are "known to be dangerous" and can get "caught in an esclator" like the previous poster said. Huh????? How?

o

I had seen a news report about the dangers of crocs (although flipflops and other shoes can be just as bad, do a google search about croc dangers and lots will pop up.
Found this on About.com

Crocs Shoes & Escalator Accidents

Over the last couple of years, Crocs shoes have exploded as one of the biggest footwear trends since UGG boots. But over the last couple of months, the rubber clogs have come under some scrutiny due to escalator accidents involving children wearing the beloved colorful shoes.

While Crocs are popular enough to be identified by name after such an accident occurs, it's important to note that other shoes can also pose a risk to riders.

In fact, most recently, a child in Singapore lost her big toe wearing rubber clogs that resembled Crocs, but were actually an imitation brand.

Parents should be aware that any type of rubber or soft, pliable shoes can be problematic, as can long and untied shoe laces.

In recent statements, the Crocs company claimed that "Crocs shoes are completely safe," and went on to point out that escalators that have not received proper care and maintenance pose a risk to their riders. They have called for improved escalator safetey, and are currently designing a new tag that includes safety tips for escalators.

For more details about the accidents, and to get some helpful escalator safety tips, be sure to check out the following resources.

Child in Singapore Loses Toe Wearing Imitation Crocs -- Reuters
Crocs Can Pose a Danger on Escalators -- ABC News
More on Crocs Shoes
Crocs Official Site

(It happens when the shoe rides on the edge of the escaltor wall and gets sucked down into the crack between the moving step and the wall)

o

So amusing!

The first time I saw crocs was on all the employees at an Appalachian Mountain Hut I hiked to last fall. Of course all these kids were bright, rich, beautiful, ecology-minded, talented, outdoors-lovers, so it made me want the crocs. LOL. And the youth, athleticism, optimism, and basic goodness that would go along with the crocs. Or that wearing the crocs would connect me to. (They played guitars and sang in the evenings, knew every birdcall, and were lovable in every way. It had to be the shoes!)

PS. My choice would be the burgundy mary jane style. I'm really too old for the clogs. Haaaaaha

o

"I saw a grey-haired man (definitely over 45, as am I) wearing khaki bermuda shorts and bright yellow crocs at the gas station this afternoon."

I think that rocks! I love it when folks are unashamed enough to do the unexpected when it comes to fashion! (Then again, I'm a 44 year old with a facial piercing and tattoos, so you can probably guess my mindset. Heh.)

o

I have a pair and am way over the 45 age mark. I like them alot, my DD got her pair first and I thought they were UGLLLLY. We first saw them at swim competions that she had enter, all ages were wearing them. We are in Southern Cali they are very popular in the beach towns. We found these really cute decos that poke through the holes of them at Nordies in Santa Barbara and we love them too~~I got a Peace symbol and a Ladybug for mine.

I did see the Mary Jane ones in a shop, they are not as clunky looking~~

LunchLady Who Loves Her Crocs

o

I love my Crocs :-) I have always had foot pain and odd toes and feet and I don't have pain anymore. I can actually enjoy walking for the first time in my life. I wear my lime greens in the house (they're great on my hard ceramic tile kitchen floor) and my black dress Crocs to the mall and I plan to get a khaki pair for the summer instead of my Clark sandals (I can't wear Birkies, the lip on the toes hits one of my toes funny). They're the best thing that ever happened to my feet in my 58 years!

(Of course, Mitch and Barn Mom will remember that I am also the girl who loves that nice 'clove/ham' smell of Zim's Crack Creme - so you know where I'm coming from, LOL!)

o

OMG - I LOVE my crocs!! They're great around the house, in the yard or running to the grocery store. I like the funky style, too and all the great colors. Who wouldn't like walking around on clouds??!! A nurse friend of mine turned me on to them - she was right. I'm in my 50's and I LOVE cute shoes for the office and dress but you can't beat these for comfort and traction.

o

I think they are more or less hideous, but will probably get some knock-offs to wear around the house, and to pull weeds (great idea, bud).

o

I have three pairs of crocs and I wear them all the time. I have hot pink, orange and yellow. I work casual in a hospital so I wear them with my scrubs as do most of the other staff. I would not buy knock offs. They are much flimsy than the crocs. I also wear them with shorts but I wouldnt wear them to dress up. They are $30 here.

o

Got a pair for $6 at Target.... probably the best $6 I've spent in years.

o

yes woodie, I remember that; creme that smells like easter dinner, yummmmm. lol................

what are dress crocks ?

o

I LOVE my Crocs!!!! I have a gold regular pair and brown Mary Janes. I want a pair of black ones for when I bartend.

Not only are they the lightest and most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn but your feet will not sweat in them (I don't think this is true of the knockoffs). A coworker with horrible sweaty feet (skeptically) bought a pair after hearing me rave about my Crocs. Now she has four pairs and wants Mary Janes too.

Crocs are a casual shoe - not meant to be dressy. They are a fun shoe - lots of colors to choose from. Crocs are so ugly that they are cute!!
;-)

o

I admit, the thong Crocs are kinda cute. I might buy those for summer beach/pool wear

o

thanks for all your responses, this has been fun. Truth is now I'm scared to try them on in case they are so comfy I won't be able to resist, lol.............

o

mitch, it's funny you should say that... I almost thought about posting this the day after I bought mine: if you'd be embarrassed to be seen in public wearing them, don't buy them. I pretty much haven't forced myself to take them off other than for the gym. They are ridiculously comfortable.

o

LOL mitchdesj - my hubby makes fun of mine!!! I bought the thong ones first - they were so incredibly comfy that I didn't care what crocs looked like after that - I just knew I needed more.... ;^D

o

I think they are really ugly. My sister in law has a pair and she loves them. I think they are ugly. There are plenty of other shoes that are comfortable, but look a lot better.

o

Posted by beautygirl: I think they are ugly. There are plenty of other shoes that are comfortable, but look a lot better.
++++

Nope. I tried them all...Earth shoes....Birks....Merrill...Clarks....all of them. Nothing is as comfortable as these.

I got the knock-offs at Payless for like $12. Can't beat the price either, compared to Earth shoes that cost $80-120.

A friend of mine got the knock-offs at Wally World for $6, and hers are not as spongey as my knock-offs from Payless. She says they are still the most comfortable shoe she has owned.

Has anyone here purchased the orig Crocs, and also some of the knock-offs and noticed a difference in comfort or in wear, between them?

I might splurge on a real pair of Crocs because they offer more style choices, but for the "basic" model I will stick with the knock-offs unless there really is a difference in comfort or how well they wear in the long run.

Anyone?

o

I do have a pair - Size 9. So much nicer in the smaller sizes! I wear them to walk my dog and as slippers etc. My husband also wears them around the house. He is subject to bad athletes foot and the Crocs have helped his feet immensely. Many health clubs strongly suggest their members wear them for this reason. As for how they look, well I am on a search for a comfortable but dressy pair of flats - say with a one inch heel. I have a very long last with a high arch. I do not wear open-toed shoes, flip-flops - regardless of price (meaning backless); platforms, ballerina style (last is too short) or loafers. I want a simple but classic flat that looks like a pump with a feminine toe. I have been looking everywhere - okay maybe could buy a pair of Manolo's, - but realistically not much out there - I have specifically asked in the stores. All in all the Crocs in Navy or Black are starting to look better all the time. Crocs and my new Burberry rain boots (seems it rains nearly every time I take out the dog, so a good investment). As far as fashion goes, I have seen a heck of a lot styles - both in shoes and clothing that are a lot worse.

o

It's funny because I can't wear the real Crocs. I wear a size 10 and the real ones do not fit my foot. I have a hot pink pair that I got at Target last year at their end of season sale for $5. I look every time I am in there for them to put them back out this year. I will definitely buy several more pair in different colors at their regular price.

o

eccentric, I am not sure from your description of your ideal shoe that you are looking for in comfotable but dressy flats with 1" heels. Something like this?

http://www.danceshoesonline.com/tags/lpp_g_28.html

Or this?

http://www.danceshoesonline.com/tags/lpp_g_10.html

I've had my best luck finding low heeled dress shoes that were comfortable at dance shops. When I had to cocktail waitress we had to wear "heels" and they had to look "fancy".

The low heeled pumps sold at dance shops came in different widths and also had fully padded interiors. A shoe with a padded interior is much more comfortable. The shoes sold at the dance shops also can be ordered in different heel heights.

I don't think the examples above show the ones with padded interiors but they are commonly sold at dance shops. They usually have a Louis heel and rounded toed.

Check out dance shoes online or find a local dance store. The links above I just used as an example. I have never ordered from them as I shop locally for mine.

o

Thanks, bud_wi, will check out the sites and there are a couple of dance stores in Toronto. It is sad when a person just wants a pair of flattish shoes with a slightly elongated toe - rather than round!

o

STOP, STOP; I might not be able to abide by my rule of NOCROCSFORMITCH,
if you keep saying how comfy they are. The only color I would buy is black.

o

Comfy. Comfy. Comfy............

o

Well, I tried them on today and the decision has been taken from me. The little button on the outside of the foot digs into my bone and hurts. I never would have guessed that to happen. If it were half and inch closer to heel or toe where I have more meat on my bones it would have been fine. And to think I was worried about the little nubbins on the footbed!

o

Some Croc styles do not have the little decorative button and some Croc styles have it placed higher up on the shoe design.

http://shop.crocs.com/c-4-Footwear.aspx?reqid=4&reqProdTypeId=4&subsectionname=footwear

Here is a link that might be useful: Croc website catalogue

o

I personally think that they're hideous also. Yuck! Wouldn't get a pair either...

o

wow, crocs are dangerous, you can get shocked wearing them, lol...

Here is a link that might be useful: good reason NOT to wear crocs

o

I wear the Airwalk brand and have never experienced shocks. Maybe they are made of a different type of plastic?

BTW, I just got back from Payless and the Airwalks are on sale for $6/pr.

o

Oh, that's what Crocs are. I've been seeing them (or more likely the knock-offs) everywhere lately. Crocs are so ugly that they are cute sums it up for me.

o

I'm wearing my purple crocs right now. I first saw them at the beach, and they are my footwear of choice whenever the weather's warm enough. I have red, yellow and lime green also, and I'm pretty sure a turquoise pair is calling my name. I have incredibly hard to fit feet, very short and very wide. I bet if I could get a shoe in my true size, it would be about a 4 1/2 EEEE. I hate when my feet hurt. Crocs are like walking barefoot, something I only do at home because my feet are also incredibly ugly. They are wonderful for gardening, the beach, almost anything but distance walking. I bought my granddaughter a pair; she loves them and loves it when we match. I bought my husband a pair of brown ones, which he almost refused to wear, until we went to the beach and he saw how much more practical they were than sneakers or bare feet. Now he wears them in the yard and for washing the car. My son borrowed his dad's, then bought his own pair. Crocs rule!

o

All,
Not trying to hijack this thread but has anyone heard of or tried Vibram FiveFingers? If barefoot is comfortable to you then this is the most comfortable "shoe" you can buy. I was going to pick up a pair of crocs but then stumbled on to these. They feel fabulous.

Rod

Here is a link that might be useful: Vibram FiveFingers

o

rod, I never saw those before, they are scary !!! I don't doubt they are comfy but really weird looking. Are they becoming popular ?

o

And people say Crocs are homely???

o

Homley - perhaps, but they draw attention and they're great conversation starters. The other day a woman asked me to wiggle my toes...and then laughed when she saw that I could.
This shoe has only been available for a couple years but it is starting to see an increasing market. Vibram told me they want to control production but I reckon we'll see a surge soon.

o

My whole family has been wearing them for a year now. Nothing is more comfortable. We spent 2 weeks in Disney World last year and didn't even have to switch over to runners. Yup, they do look "Goofy". But if you stand or walk on a hard surface for a long time and have back problems or other foot problems, we found them to be awesome! They are much more comfortable than the knock-offs. They're great for wearing to the pool too. People are always asking us "Are those things really as comfy as people say they are?" YES YES YES. I'm not getting dressed up and wearing them, but with jeans or shorts for shopping and bumming around...you'd be foolish to be too vain!

o

Wow. Are they diffcult to put on? I remember 'toe socks'. I got a pair for xmas and could never get my toes in all the little knit toes. Tossed 'em.

I'm going to check these out for my water aerobics classes.

Thanks for the info and link.

++++
Payless has the Croc knockoffs for $6, AND all shoes are buy one get one half price. I got two pair for $9 today.

o

You said the Payless Croc knock-offs are comfy. The Target ones are definitely not.

o

I talked to a lady at the gas station yesterday who was wearing a pair of Walmart knock-offs and she said they weren't nearly as comfy either.

those five fingers looks like they'd be hard to slide into to me.

o

Friend of mine got the Target ones and said they are not as comfy. I checked the ones at Target and they just seemed like plastic shoes, not really cushy. They reminded me of the Jellies shoes from the 80's - plastic shoes - that's all. They only had ugly colors too.

o

Are Crocs so expensive that it makes sense to buy the knock-offs? I've never priced them.

o

The five fingers do take a little effort to get into - toes aren't quite as dexterious as fingers, but it's not difficult. And once they're on you hardly know it. You'd swear your feet were just as bare as the day you were born.

o

Payless seems to have a good deal, but Crocs are 30.00, and not that expensive. My granddaughter has a pair of Payless knockoffs, and the insides are not anything like the super-comfy Croc insides, and the treads are very lightly imprinted in the sole, unlike Crocs. Hers are slippery. Maybe adult Payless are made differently.

o

IMHO, These shoes were made for wearing in the garden...not in public!!!! The first time I remember seeing anything like these was when Martha Stewart wore something like them for gardening.

o

Bud - mine are from Target, and they feel good to me (everyone's different) - but they *were* kind of stiff at first. Two days later, they were like marshmallows.

o

I think they have their place in the world but it's not on my feet!lol

o

My Payless knock off look exactly like the Crocs I saw at Steins. I have never found them to be slippery.

Crocs @ Steins - $39.00
Airwalks @ Payless - $4.50
Do the math.

It adds up for a whole family.

Of course I am also the type of person to clip coupons, use energy saving lightbulbs, throw on a sweater instead of turning up the heat and rinse out Zip-Lok bags, so maybe the prices differential between Crocs and Airwalkers is not that important to some, even though the two brands seem identical. Paying for a "name" seems foolish to me though.

o

First of all, I hate jump on the bandwagon trends like this. They are OK for kids, but no way for a man or a fashion conscience woman.

I love it when people take these off around you and you can see the dark brown film on the bottom of the shoe where their foot goes. Yee-UCK!

o

Knee replacements run in my family.

About 12 years ago I was threatened with knee replacement.

& my knees hurt all the time.

I started wearing Okabashi Cleo sandals & Croc knock-offs, & I'm more comfortable & painfree than I've been in years.

& I still have my original knees!

o

slahgirl, Crocs are not a bandwagon "fad". They are sensible shoes with an intense following. People said the same about Earth shoes way back in the 70's. I still buy and wear them today, and they have a very loyal following with many. Sure they are not for everybody and they are not for wearing for all occassions. (Although my friend Kay joked about wearing the white Crocs under her wedding dress so her feet won't hurt from standing all day.)

As far as leaving smudgy footprints inside of the shoes goes, I've seen that with many brands of shoes and is not indicitive of Crocs, but of sloppy hygiene and inattentive maintanance of the shoes by the wearer.

o

Love them! Have a pair of the bright yellow beach ones and a pair neon green open toe sandals. So cute and comfty.

o

I have to admit they are comfy; I wore a friend's crocs for an hour in florida over the holidays and I was amazed. They look horrible with my skinny ankles though, they are too round and big.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here