Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Store brands or generics vs brand names

Posted by ramrice (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 20:04

Has anyone used a generic or equivalent products that's as good as the brand name?

I bought the Walmart version of Pantene conditioner and it was no good. It was nothing like Pantene.

However, I did try the Walmart version of Cetaphil and it was pretty decent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Store brands or generics vs brand names

what you describe is pretty much how I feel; trial and error, hit or miss.

It's not worth the savings if you end up throwing out the product though.

This thread could be a good place for people to post their favorite generic products that do work !! or if not generic, inexpensive.

Mascara is one product I don't like to spend a lot on. I can't see the difference.

o

Well when you buy generic products you get generic results. Even with Pantene Suave and like products theymay seem to be cheaper but they are either watered down and have so much wax product in them they weigh your hair down. Professional products will not only last longer but they come with a guarantee, if you do not like them you have 30 days from time of purchase to return Be sure to check with the salon as return policys may vary

o

I love Crest Whitestips, and have tried the knockoffs from Walmart and Walgreens. I'll pay full price for Crest any day.

I'll second the walmart version of Cetaphil. It's pretty much the same.

o

Walmart's Equate version of Oil of Olay with SPF 15 sunscreen works well for me.

o

Generics can be made by different manufacturers so unless you are saving a lot of money and/or you don't care where you are going to use the product, use the best brand you can find.

o

Read the ingredients and percentages - I've found that when I do that and check out generic vs name brand, it works fine.

Check out cosmeticcop.com and read labels. Personally I won't use anything with parabens (wax) in it or any silicones or 'cones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here