Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salon ettiquite (Tipping)

Posted by John_NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 3, 04 at 19:57

I recently received a $250 gift certificate from my husband for the Red Door Salon at Elizabeth Arden in New York. I plan on using it for a package spa day with a facial, massage, pedicure, manicue, and a haircut, style and blow dry as well as a spa lunch (a day of Beauty, Yeah!) Does anyone know what a tipping schedule would be for all the people involed? I don't want to look like a cheapskate but I have no clue as to what would would be reasonable for a place like that. Please help and advise. Thanks Karen Johnson (the gift certificate was from John-yeah!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salon ettiquite (Tipping)

I figure 20 percent of the bill and then divide it among everyone as I think it needs to be. Maybe you can just give 20 percent in one lump sum, but I don't know who you would hand that to.

20 percent is the max for tips and you could probably get away with a bit less.

o

Karen, the way I would do it is to evaluate at the end of the day how many services you had and how long the technician was with you..... if you had 4 equal services and had $50 to divy up, then approx. 12$ each would apply.....

o

I just went to a Red Door Salon in Providence, RI and they tacked 20% on to my bill which I thought was kind of inappropriate but what could I do? I would assume that is a policy country wide with Red Door. The services were exceptional so I guess it was worth it!!

o

I realize this is WAY too late but, if this should come up for someone else... check with the salon before you go in (they don't have to know you are the one with the gift certificate) usually when someone buys a package like that the salon adds the tip into the purchase so that the person receiving the services doesn't have to worry about it.

Have fun!

o

dani, excellent point. My niece who worked in a salon , told me that people with gift certificates would not tip , they thought it was included so that may be why salons have incorporated the tip in the certificates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here