Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare Minerals makeup

Posted by Cinderella (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 05 at 17:19

Has anyone here used this and if so what did you think. Would you keep using it?
I really want to try it but not till I hear from others that use it.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare Minerals makeup

A friend of mine bought it recently, tried it and sent it back. She said it emphasized every pore and she has nice small pores. But I didn't try it and didn't see her face.

o

YES! I've been using it for a year & it's unbelievable. I'm 48 & I've used "moderate coverage" foundations for years to cover slight rudiness & even out my skintone. I've used Chanel, Lancome, Fresh, etc. and was marginally satisfied, but always trying new products.

Now that I have Bare Minerals, the search is over; it makes you look airbrushed - it's that good. The best place to buy it is Medi-spastore.com. If you "join" their club (it's free) by signing up & picking a password, all of your Bare Minerals purchases are 25% OFF - always! I don't know how they do it, but it's fab.

I'd suggest buying the starter kit that includes a video w/easy-to-follow instructions on how to apply the minerals. Also includes foundation, a nice application brush & other starter-type items.

You should go to the site & look at the foundation colors. I believe the kits come with TWO foundations, so you can choose the two that seem like the closest match to your skin color & then you can use the one that best matches your skin, or mix the two colors for a perfect match.

Jeez, I could go on & on about this, so maybe it would be best if you ask me whatever questions you have. I'd be more than happy to explain everything.

o

I like their finishing powder and the Bisque, not crazy about the foundation.

o

I use their products. i think they are great. sounds like the person's friend above used too much. it is difficult to get used to the fact that you use so little and actually get coverage!

o

I love this product. It's true, a little goes a long way. That's been my biggest problem getting used to. Actually, I'm still working on that part. I must say, when you look at your face under outside daylight, it is extraordinary and so natural looking and feeling for that matter.

o

I've been using it for a couple weeks - I got a "starter" kit. I hate liquid foundation, and I had been using the pancake with the wet-sponge type foundation when I want that kind of coverage.

I like it. I got the perfect color foundation to match my skin tone, the "glow" powder and the mineral veil finishing powder.

You need to start with a smooth surface. I used a heavier sunscreen moisturizer (Neutrogena) one day and then tried the Bare Minerals - ick. The moisturizer "grabbed" all the powder and it looked terrible. So you need to use a moisturizer that isn't sticky or moist.

What I'm liking about Bare Minerals so far:
It isn't clogging my pores.
It doesn't settle into lines like regular powder does.
It keeps my face less oily in the T-zone throughout the day.
It does minimize the appearance of the tiny lines under my eyes even though I'm not sure HOW.
It doesn't look like I have anything on my skin.
It feels smooth.
There's no fragrance or irritants. (Important for me - I haven't sneezed once, even though this stuff is in loose powder form.)

The only thing I didn't like was the color of the "glow" in my starter kit - very dark and muddy colored. A friend also got the starter kit and likes it, and we now want to visit the Bare Minerals store at a mall outside our area so we can choose other products like blushes, eye shadows and additional brushes.

o

Well I used up all my starter kit and guess what? I want more! I love it. I like that it's brushed on - no using fingers and feeling greasy like with liquid foundation. It's so light and yet makes my skin look flawless.

I've been washing the brush out twice a week - just use liquid soap, squeeze the water out gently with a towel and let it air dry. It dries quickly. You do need to wash the brush at least once a week. It picks up whatever you've put on your face, like moisturizer.

I found some sellers on eBay who sell it more cheaply than retail so I ordered some more foundation and "mineral veil" yesterday. I also ordered a sample blush and sample eyeshadow to try. I'll need some more brushes too.

o

Thanks to you who've used this and like it. I got some on your recommendations; I suspected my old makeup was part of the reason my skin was breaking out, even when it was new. I've been using it about four days and really like how sheer it is. I don't think I believed you could "pre-conceal" with a powder and it would actually work!

I'm curious about the blush and eyeshadow. When you try this, would you please report back? (What are you all using now?)

o

I like the blush and eye shadow. The blush was a little too bright for me, so I mixed in some of the Mineral Veil powder with it. The eBay store also sold empty sifter jars for mixing. I like that you can mix colors to make your own shades. The samples I bought were good-sized.

The eyeshadow is excellent - lasts all day and no creasing. Beautiful shimmery color. (I chose a shimmer instead of a matte color - those look better on my middle-aged face.) I used a shadow brush I had from another kit and washed it.

Here it is, 2PM on a sunny, windy California day. Took the dog to the park. My face still looks great and the makeup is still going strong.

(Gee, I'm beginning to sound like a commercial!)

o

Gina, which sample blush did you order that was too bright? I ordered several samples to see which one was "me". I'm glad to hear you can mix them as well. Do you use Warmth underneath the blush?

o

I got Secret blush, and Pussycat eyeshadow (a soft golden brown). Secret was intense, almost fuschia pink. I need a soft pink with a bit of glimmer. Anyone know of such a color?

I just use the foundation, then blush. I had a warmth or glow that came with the starter kit, but it was too muddy so I threw it out and cleaned the jar to use for something else.

o

I'll let you know what I find when I get the samples...

o

I just started using Bare Escentuals and I love, LOVE, L-O-V-E IT! I went to a meeting at work with it on and 4 people came up to me afterward and told me how good I looked. I've NEVER had those kind of compliments come out of nowhere. After another meeting, a woman rushed over to me from across the room to say how beautiful I looked...that I was positively glowing and wanted to know about my makeup. GEEZ, I didn't know I looked that bad before.

It really is magical. I have pores that can be seen from outer space but the b.e. powders make my skin look flawless and smooth. I don't understand it but I'm tickled to death.

I went to a Sephora store and had their makeup artist "do" my makeup because I am terrible at picking out colors and products that are right for me.

B.E. has been a real boost to my flagging middle aged ego! I actually look forward to putting on my makeup now because I can see a dramatic difference.

My only problem is that I seem to get the powders on my countertop and sink just from transferring from the lid back to the container. I've started covering the counter with an unfolded paper napkin and placing the jars on it. Anybody else have ideas?

OH, and the brushless mascara is absolutely wonderful.

o

I don't tap much powder into the lid, but I will get a little powder on the sink too. I use a handtowel to wipe off the jars after I'm done, and to dry the brush on after I've washed it.

How do you put their mascara on without a brush?

o

lov2garden, I'd like to know about the mascara too. I'm with you about loving this makeup, it's so natural but it actually works. WOW, five compliments all at once! You may just start a stampede for this make-up!

I just wanted to add that I bought some little sample jars of the blush on e-bay. I'm so glad I did, because now I can see which one I'll use the most. Interesting, but I find I'm matching my blush to my outfit! The samples are a great way to experiment without commiting to a big jar. I figure the one that empties first, is the one to buy next.

I always found putting on my makeup a bit of a chore, but I have to say I enjoy it now. My face has quit breaking out completely, Hallelujah!

o

Let the stampede begin! I'm interested in trying this since you've all said such nice things about it. Do they sell it in stores or only on the internet? I'm usually happier when I see, touch, feel something in person before I buy, not on the internet for the first purchase. Would they have it at Macy's, anyone know?

o

I have been watching this thread, I'm hoping for updates :-)

I have some general questions, that could use some general answers.
Does it matter if your skin is oily/dry/combination, etc.?
How about age, better for the young, does/doesn't matter, etc. ?
What type of moisturizer is best ?

I did a product search for the nearest stores, I also like hands on. I couldn't find any stores within a reasonable distance. I guess it depends on where you live.

TIA
Joy

o

I have been using this for about 2years now. I orderd on line, and just google search since where or which store you choose to buy doesn't really matter. It took me about few times but I got used to it rather fast. Also you can join or just look another forum called delphi forums and they have bare esentual addict forum where many expert or beginners exchange skills etc.

o

They have free-standing stores in some malls, and are available through qvc.com. QVC will sometimes run a special on starter kits. I got a starter kit that way, then got refills on eBay.

I don't think it matters what type of skin you have, as long as you start with a clean palette. Again this is a powder, so if you have oily spots or moist spots from moisturizer, the powder will "grab" onto those spots more, and also such spots will oil-up the brush, so you'll want to wash the brushes more often.

I do get turned off by all the TV ads, but I know a product that's a little different has to be explained somehow. It's not a panacea for aging or a miracle, it's just a nice foundation and a nice alternative to liquids and pancakes. I stopped using liquids because I break out and get comedones easily (those hard white bumps). Have not had any since using this.

o

Joy, I think your skin care routine is important. I'm using Pro Active solution right now, because of mid-life hormonal acne. Before that I was using a glycolic acid skin care formula from my Dermatologist that was great until things starting "changing". One thing I've noticed is that after you clean your face and put on some moisturizer, it helps to let it dry completely before applying the makeup. I did what Gina did and bought a starter kit, then took her suggestion and looked into Ebay.

Woodie, I'm like you; I'd rather know what I'm getting into! When I ordered this, I'd had another outbreak and it was time to buy some new makeup so I didn't think I had anything to lose. Sometimes you just have to take a risk, and I'm SO glad I did.

o

How is the coverage? I always wear liquid foundation, even just to go get groceries, because my skin is awful without it. I always have a couple of acne spots, and I wear concealer under my eyes every single day.

Do you use a concealer with these pproducts, or do they cover spots all by themselves?

o

I just got my first starter kit of Bare Minerals yesterday. I was inspired by all you ladies to at least give it a try. I'm very pleased with it. I did my makeup with it last night, and again this morning. Simple, fast, looks great, lasts and doesn't seem to slide off my oily face like other makeups I've used. In fact, I don't normally wear foundation because my face is so oily and liquids always feel heavy and seem to eventually highlight lines and my large pores. This stuff just covers great without caking up and makes my enlarged pores disappear.

Twinkle, I have trouble with acne spots, enlarged pores and dark undereye circles. So far, pre-concealing with a bit of the foundation powder really does seem to provide nice coverage. I don't think you would want to use a cream or liquid concealer, but I think you can get a powder concealer from Bare Minerals - Bisque, maybe - if you need more coverage.

o

You can experiment with layering this on. I just use one overall brushing, but I noticed that you can get more coverage if you apply more layers (duh, I know!). So you might use a smaller brush and apply on the spots where you want more coverage, then do an overall brushing.

o

OK - you guys have just about convinced me to give this a try! I'm going to a store, not ordering from ebay. So, it sounds like I need to get at least these:

foundation (what shade for very pale skin w/pink?)
mineral veil
kabuki brush

And if I can get over the sticker shock, I should also get bisque concealer and some blush.

Does that sound right? Should I get the starter kit instead and does it come with any brushes?

Thanks

o

Twinkle, I ordered from sephora.com, as there isn't anything resembling a cosmetics store for like 20 lightyears in any direction from my home. I got a starter kit. It came with:

2 foundations (medium & medium beige)
mineral veil
warmth allover face color
concealer brush
application brush
kabuki brush
face wash

I chose the medium kit and it's about right for me - light golden-reddish brown hair, hazel green eyes, fair golden undertone skin that will tan. You might take the lighter kit. In any case, the foundation is very forgiving. The Warmth is fine for me as a blush, as I don't wear much blush anyway - it just gives a nice natural color without making me look made up. I do plan to order the Bisque to use as a concealer at some point. Overall, I think the kit might be the way to go for your initial purchase.

o

I think that Bisque is pretty good also, worth a try.
I use the mineral veil over my normal tinted moisturizer-
not sure what makes this so 'different' maybe it's just very very fine milled powder.

o

It's different than the usual cosmetics in that they've stripped out every ingredient except a handful of crushed cosmetics-grade minerals. For example, They use titanium dioxide, bismuth oxychloride and zinc oxides, and for pigments they use combos of micas, chromium oxides, iron oxides, and ultramarines. What I found about titanium dioxide on the web:
"Inert earth mineral used as a thickening, whitening, lubricating, and sunscreen ingredient in cosmetics. It protects skin from UVA and UVB radiation and is considered to have no risk of skin irritation."

Now compare with this list of ingredients I got off the avon site for a loose powder:

AVON PERSONAL MATCH Loose Powder
The following Ingredients are present in all variants of this product:

talc
silica
dimethicone
calcium silicate
zea mays (corn) starch
zinc stearate
squalane
acrylates copolymer
ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate
diisostearyl malate
kaolin
sorbitan sesquioleate
lecithin
lauryl pca
polymethyl methacrylate
zinc pca
hydroxyapatite
bht
tocopheryl acetate
zinc oxide
glycerin
methicone
bassia latifolia seed butter
isostearyl hydroxystearate
mangifera indica (mango) seed butter
retinyl palmitate
sodium polyacrylate
phenyl trimethicone
sucrose distearate
c12-15 alkyl benzoate
silica dimethyl silylate
tocopherol
sodium pca
urea
atelocollagen
sodium hyaluronate
trehalose
polyquaternium-51
sodium chondroitin sulfate
ascorbyl palmitate
beta-carotene
methylparaben
imidazolidinyl urea

May Contain :

mica
iron oxides
titanium dioxide
bismuth oxychloride
ultramarines
talc
silica
dimethicone
calcium silicate
zea mays (corn) starch
zinc stearate
squalane
acrylates copolymer
ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate
diisostearyl malate
kaolin
sorbitan sesquioleate
lecithin
lauryl pca
polymethyl methacrylate
zinc pca
hydroxyapatite
bht
tocopheryl acetate
zinc oxide
glycerin
methicone
bassia latifolia seed butter
isostearyl hydroxystearate
mangifera indica (mango) seed butter
retinyl palmitate
sodium polyacrylate
phenyl trimethicone
sucrose distearate
c12-15 alkyl benzoate
silica dimethyl silylate
tocopherol
sodium pca
urea
atelocollagen
sodium hyaluronate
trehalose
polyquaternium-51
sodium chondroitin sulfate
ascorbyl palmitate
beta-carotene
methylparaben
imidazolidinyl urea

WOW...

So anyone who's got sensitive skin or has allergies to common cosmetics ingredients should definitely try this.

o

Well, I went to the cosmetics store last night and tried the Bare Minerals samples they had. They didn't have any brushes to use (hygiene issues I guess) so I just rubbed some of the powders on my wrist. I have pale skin, so you can see the veins there and I figured that would be a good test of the coverage aspect.

I was very disappointed. It was just like wearing regular face powder. Nothing special. I waited for it to "sink on" or whatever it's supposed to do. Still looked like regular powder. It didn't look like I was wearing no makeup. It didn't cover any spots. Am I missing something here?

Here's what I tried: foundation in Very Light, Mineral Veil, Bisque, and Clear Radiance. Not all at once, I tried them alone on one arm and then layered two at a time on my other arm.

o
Tried it

I went to the makeup store last night and tried the samples of Bare Minerals that they had out. They didn't have any brushes to use (hygiene issues I guess) so I just rubbed some of the powders on my wrist. I have pale skin and you can see the viens there, so I figured that would be a good test of how well it covers.

I was not impressed. It just looked like regular face powder. Nothing special. I waited for it to "sink in" or whatever it's supposed to do. Still looked like regular powder. It didn't look like I was wearing no makeup. It didn't cover anything. Am I missing something or is this just a bunch of hype?

Here's what I tried, not all at once of course: foundation powder in Very Light, Mineral Veil, Bisque, and Clear Radiance.

o

well I finally succumbed to the positive talk and I am thrilled. I started only with the foundation (light) because I am very very fair but rosacea in the middle of my face makes me crazy. This stuff totally covers it up without a gunky heavy feeling, it doesn't wear off through the day and I dont have to refresh everything at 2 - 3 pm like I did with regular foudation. and after four days use no break out yet. Plus SPF 15. yahoo!!!

I still use MAC for my eye shadow. ID colors have way too much shimmer for someone over 50- did I say that? I mean over 39.

The wand mascara looks intriguing but could it win me away from the paula dorf cake mascara I love? nothing has yet.

Thanks everyone for this thread.

o

dayenu,

Thank you, thank you for posting that news. Like you I am very fair, have red hair, burn, and have rosacea. I also have had several skin cancers removed, the last one from the tip of my nose. Even with fourteen stitches, I don't have a scar and this was done last Oct. My doctor is the best!
I have tried so many different types and brands of makeup, from the expensive to the cheap. And most have either not covered or covered but were so heavy I felt like I was wearing mud on my face. I also have some red spots left from the first year of rosacea that will only go away with laser treatments and I just don't want to do that. I have been following this thread from the first and last night I placed my first order for Bare Minerals. I also ordered the light. After reading your post, I can't wait for them to arrive.

o

Rose, I hope you are as pleased as I am. I really hate this eternal redness in the middle of my face and this makeup is light and feels great without disappearing as the day goes on. I feel I have the skin I had pre rosaceae. Which was pale and smooth and one of my strengths.

Do you use metrogel? What other tips do you know? What do you wash with? What are you biggest triggers. I had to give up red wine totally. Tell me how you manage with the chronic issues.

o

dayenu,

I started on the Metrogel and found out my worst trigger was anything alcoholic. I only drank the occasional glass of wine, but had to stop because of the breakouts. I could still cook with wine but could not drink even one glass. That was over eight years ago. I tried drinking wine about four months ago and now I find that one glass once in awhile does no damage.
After my last skin cancer removal, my dermatologist changed me from the metrogel to a sulfur product. But I don't think it is doing as good a job and I am going to go back to using the metrogel. Also the sulfur is more of a grainy cream and I really liked the gel better. My biggest problem right now is the left-over pink/red spots from former outbreaks. They are so noticeable on my fair skin that I just don't feel comfortable going to work with out makeup. On the weekends if I am staying home I go with out makeup, but not for work. I burn so easily and use sunscreen everyday. I know that hot drinks are suppose to be a trigger, but there is no way I will ever give up my hot tea! I do let it cool a bit, but I don't think it is causing a problem. I was the first in my family to have rosacea, and now my sister and my father have it. And now that we are more familiar with it, we remember that our grandmother must have had it too.

At the moment I am washing my face with goats milk soap that I got from Nature's Gift. Goats milk soap is extremely gentle and very moisturizing. I go to their website to order. This soap has pure essential oils and makes my face feel great. I have also used their Clarifying Synergy in a base of gentle liquid castile soap. It's just pure liquid castile soap with olive and coconut oils with aloe vera gel and added essential oils. Their site has the following info to this soap (Please note, some Rosacea sufferers have also reported excellent results from using this soap.) That was really why I tried this product and it did help. I tend to use the goats milk for awhile and then the clarifying then back to the goats milk.

I do my best to only work in the garden in the early morning or later in the early evening and not when the sun is at it's hottest. That doesn't always work but I try! The sun seems to be my biggest problem these days and I guess the fact of getting older doesn't help!:( The only good thing is that my skin has always been on the very oily side, and I have few wrinkles. Most of the time people guess my age ten years younger. And I hated my oily skin when I was in my teens!

o

Thanks for telling me about the goats soap. I switch between a perricone liquid soap ( i use this to remove makeup) and if I have not worn makeup I use B kamins vegetable wash. I have worn sunblock whenever I go outside since 1972. Despite that I wish I had never ever let the sun get to my face. The skin on areas that never got sun is amazing. I wonder why Rosacea is a face problem. That's the only place I have it.

Have you considered photo derm?
Let me know what you think of the bare minerals. I am considering posting a no makeup and after makeup photo. because the results are really remarkable.

o

dayenu, please, do take before/after pics, that would be wonderful. It would be nice to see a picture that wasn't commercially touched-up for an Ad.

I have a question about the powder-base application.

I use a liquid base, I apply it over/under my eyes. What happens with powder-base around the eyes ?

Joy

o

Joy, I just apply it all over and it fades into a wonderful matte finish. But your skin can't have liquid moisturizer on on your skin, it's got to be completely dry or it clumps ... badly.

I ordered the DVD with application tips on ebay, so I will keep you posted. Maybe tomorrow I will take before and after pics if I can get the cam thingie working on my laptop.

o

Dayenu (and everyone else) thanks for your comments. I'm also 'over 39' - LOL - and I'm really interested in trying Bare Minerals, haven't done it yet, but you certainly have me convinced after reading your other thread!

o

Dayenu, another convert! Good. Of course with a story like that, you have instant credibility! It's amazing isn't it?

Well, I've been using it a little over a month now, and I am still thrilled with it. I have some red capillaries around the base and on top of my nose and on my chin. That, along with fading acne (which is finally going away) is covered very easily with the concealer brush. (I love the concealer brush!) I'm also surprised that the makeup stays on all day. I'm loving those little sample jars of blush I bought on E-bay and feel like I've finally found the right make-up for me. I'm finding I have to use less and less of the concealer than when I first started using it, now that my face is clearing up. Applying with the brush is very important to smooth the powder out on your face, and I don't think you'd get the same look without it.

Woodie, I'll bet you love it, once you step over to the other side...

o

yes, clare... it really is amazing stuff. yesterday my concelaer brush and bisque arrived from an ebay auction and I ADORE it. Went to the theatre last night and felt smashing.

o

Fair#1 is for porcelain skin, neutral undertones.
Fairly Light#1.2 is for porcelain to light skin, golden undertones.
Light#2 is for light skin, golden undertones.
Medium Beige#2.3 is for light to medium skin, golden undertones.
Medium#3 is for medium skin, neutral undertones.

I've been reading this thread and I am just about ready to order it but I'm perplexed with the colors of the foundation, I copied the list from the escentuals site; I have light skin with pink undertones, ie. broken capillaries; I looked at the list above and can't figure out what I should order, any hints ?

undertones are golden or neutral, not pink..... what am I missing, it seems to me that a lot of people talk about broken capillaries which to me would mean pink undertone.....

o

mitchdesj, as far as I've been able to tell in shopping for this myself, it breaks down like this: Fair is for people who are very pale - those with milk-white skin who just burn to a crisp with even slight sun exposure. My best friend comes from a long line of very, very white Irish folks, and Fair is a little too light for her. Fairly Light and Light are for slightly less pale complexions that burn easily - fair skinned blonds or redheadeds. The Medium and Medium Beige are the most popular and are good for the greatest number of caucasian women (I think I read that on the Bare Minerals site) - I have green eyes, kind of light-medium reddish-brown hair, and I will tan but have to be careful of burning and I can use either the 2.3 or 3. The Tan and Dark shades are for those who are more deeply tanned and for most women of color.

I bought the Medium sample kit from Sephora. If I'm remembering correctly, you are a brunette. Just a guess, but I'd say you will probably be fine with #2.3 - Medium Beige or maybe #2 - Light. If you are getting a kit, probably go with the Medium. The foundation colors are pretty forgiving.

o

I am a fair skinned ash blonde with pink undertones and redness in the middle of my face. ( I could tan if I were crazy enough to try it)

Fair is the color the store manager (and my next door neighbor) chose for me and it's perfect. I use the bisque as a concealer. Fairly light is way to dark for me.

Plus remember this stuff is light as a feather, not masque like at all, yet it covers. really amazing stuff.

o

See picture of colors....Joy
Colors

o

Well, this is a PIA to find, but there is a popup with pictures of models to help select your foundation color. Go to qvc.com, click on the category "beauty", click on "Bare Escentuals" then click on any foundation. The foundation description section should have a link saying "women of different skin tones". This will bring up the popup. I can't link to it since it's a popup.

I don't know why they don't make it easier to choose a color.

I am half-Asian with pale olive-toned skin and I wear the Medium.

Check your local beauty supply stores - they are starting to carry Bare Minerals.

o

Mitch, your skin tones sound like mine. I thought I also had pink undertones, but my starter kit included Fair (too light) and Fairly Light which was perfect for me. It covers broken capillaries perfectly and matches my skin well. (I hope this helps.) It's difficult to tell from a description of what colors should be...

o

Mitch, I have dark hair, blue eyes and fair skin with pink undertones. Today I went to the Sephora store and I had such a good time! I came home with medium 2.3 foundation and a kabuki brush, that's all, no mineral veil or concealer.

The gal that helped me was very nice and extremely helpful. We tried the concealer on some sun (or old age, egads!) blotches and she didn't like it on me and neither did I. After using the foundation over it, it looked "ashy" (that was her word) I felt it looked very thick. She doesn't think I need any concealer but recommended just using my normal concealer - I don't have one, I just dab on a little more foundation where needed. So far, I'll still use my regular blush and other makeup, if this foundation works out in the long run, I'll probably try some other products, maybe the mineral veil. Actually, the gal who worked with me today doesn't care for the mineral veil too much, but I know that Gina uses it and anyway, I'll just wait and see! So far, so good, its been a couple of hours and I keep looking in the mirror, LOL. I'm still lookin' good!

o

I just ordered from medi-spa store, now the waiting begins. (hate that part) I ordered from there because of no shipping. Got the kit in fair. Hope I got the right color. Does anyone know any thing about the coupon code? Do you get discounts after first order?
Donna

o

Yesterday I visited the beauty supply store where I saw a poster for Bare Minerals. I bought 2 more brushes and a neutral brown eye shadow called Moss.

The "kabuki" brush is best for the foundation, and I bought a slanted brush for eyeshadow.

Woodie, I don't use the Mineral Veil every day - I don't have enough time. The foundation by itself is a nice enough finish for me. The Mineral Veil is probably more beneficial to those with oilier skin.
Donna - is it a medi-spa coupon?

o

I just got back from another mall (looking for a wedding present) and low and behold there's another Sephora store, so I went in and bought the Mineral Veil, LOL. I do tend do get shiny and I think I'll use it sometimes.

o

Gina, yes it was medi-spa. I called today and I guess you get coupons with their newsletter when you sign up for it. Should be a good deal, along with no shipping. The lady seem to think I had make the right color choice. Hope the order gets here fast, my DD has been thinking about ordering also, didn't know that or I would have waited and let her experiment first. :)

o

Okay, one more report on Bare Minerals - the eyeshadows are messy because you basically get a pot of loose powder. But they do not crease at all, even after all-day and all-evening wear. So if creasing is a problem for you - here you go.

o

I wanted to report back and say that I'm LOVING this Bare Minerals foundation! It's been almost 2 weeks and I use it every day and I hope they don't ever change their formula or go out of business.

o

I would sell my mother for a sephora store nearby,,, well almost. :-)

o

OK, big skeptic here has been converted...

A bunch of ladies and I were all doing our makeup on my sister's wedding day last weekend. One of the ladies had a Bare Minerals kit, so I said what the heck, let's give this a try.

I love this makeup! The powder is very opaque. It really does cover spots and undereye circles. Maybe not completely, but it does just as well as liquid or cream concealers. It did not cake or crease. It lasted through the entire wedding and reception. It didn't rub off on my clothes or my dance partners. I won't have to worry about "makeup lines" in the photos because everything blends so nicely. The heat and humidity were terrible that day, and I don't think liquid foundation would have stayed on my face. But the Bare Minerals did!

I went and got a kit from Ulta. Can't find it on their website, but they have it in their stores.

o

Another convert here. I've been using it for a couple of months now -- have both ordered from the company and have purchased it at Ulta. I love, love, love it. I can't imagine ever going back to liquid foundation after having worn Bare Minerals.

o

Well, I kicked over the traces and did it.....I love it. I got the Fairly Light#1.2/Light#2, kit...I can use either one. My daughter (adult), is, always honest with me and she thinks it looks great.

I didn't think I was going to like it, at first. It took two or three times of applying it, to, get the hang of it. The Mineral Veil is, important, to me. It seemed to be too shiny without it, for me, that is.

I would like to know more about Bisque (it looks so pink in the pic). I could use a little more coverage on a couple of places. I also would like to know more about the 'Brushless' mascara, I have very thin lashes.

Joy

o

Do those of you who use the Mineral Veil apply it with your foundation brush? Or, do you use another brush.

o

Woodie, my kit came with three brushes....
the Mineral Veil is put on with the "Full Coverage Kabuki Brush." It looks like the short fat brush that men used to use to lather shaving cream. If you have a brush you use for powder, try it.

Joy

o

Thank you everyone for the color info; I'm printing out this thread and will take it with me to New York next month; I usually make it a point to spend some time at Sephora so I'll try out the colors before I purchase.

o

Definitely worth trying out the colors before buying. Mistakes can get expensive.

I got some blush this weekend and was really surprised at which color looked the best on me. I would have picked a color that looked peachy in the jar, but wound up with a really bright pink instead. Once I tried it on, it was very sheer and looked like I was naturally blushing.

Joy, I have the Bisque - never use it. I have very fair skin and it's too dark for me. It doesn't look pink, just too dark. I use the foundation #1. The Bisque doesn't seem to provide any more coverage than the regular foundation. May be more useful if you have medium-toned skin.

o

I seldom come to this forum but glad I did.I've seen this "makeup" advertised on tv so was interested in this thread.I ordered today and am looking forward to receiving the starter kit.I recognize some of you from the cooking forum and trust your judgement.I'll let you know what i think after using it a few times. Gabriell

o

I have now been using Bare Minerals for a month and I love the way my skin looks. No longer cakey or like a mask. I will never go back to the other stuff!

o

Traveling question.................

I recently took a trip and my makeup got tossed and turned in the luggage and all the powder ends up in the top part of the jar. I could 'shake it down' a bit, but basically, it was a powdery mess every time I opened it up. Anybody have any ideas or comments?

o

Woodie, how about using some kind of tape, like painter's tape, to seal the shaker? Like it was sealed when new. Kind of a pain, but the packaging doesn't lend itself to traveling.

Or get a different container for traveling and just pack a little bit.

o

Woodie, how about taking a cotton ball, or, a wad of Saran wrap (or foil) and putting it inside. When you tighten the lid it should compress it enough to keep it from filling the lid.

I found a good way to keep the foundation etc. from getting all-over. I use the lid of an old powder box (regular size) to put my make-up into, it stays in the lid, when you tap off the excess.

Joy

o

Thanks much, Gina and Joy.

(BTW while I was on vacation in Sweden I saw print ads for Bare Minerals and they sold the product for twice the price in their big cosmetic stores (called Face) and the big department store (NK). That's normal for the Swedish prices.)

o

I ordered Bare Mineral on Sun and received on Wed.First couple of times didn't use enough but am getting used to it.Really need more instruction than the DVD.My daughter thinks she heard someone say it is sold at beauty salon here.I"m going to look into it.I do like it and like the matte finish. Gabriell

o

I just found out that they sell Bare Minerals at beauty supply stores in the area. I didn't know this and bought from sephora.com and had to wait for shipping....

o

Does anyone have a suggestion for the blush colors? or do you use their blush? I wanted to order the makeup online and need a blush color in the honey/bronze/dark coral family--no pinks. Can anyone suggest the correct color to try? Thanks.

De

o

I just wanted to add that I have tried Bare Escentials and Pur Minerals. The Bare Escentials wins.

o

I got blush and eye shadow samples on eBay. The blush was called Secret - too bright pink for me so I mixed it with some Mineral Veil. The samples are good-sized, especially the eye shadows, and cost under $4. Do a search on eBay, or visit your local beauty supply.

o

De, I don't use their blush, I have just kept on using my old fashioned Cover Girl blush as well as my old eye shadow!

Wanted to mention that I now just take a tissue and wad it up a little bit and put it in the top inside the lid when I travel and that has worked just fine, the powder stays neat and doesn't go all over the place.

o

I ended up getting "Fresh" in the blush and it turned out perfect--not pink at all. Thanks.

o

well I'm here in New York, right now I'm in Brooklyn; I will have time on thursday to head out to Sephora and try out the products hopefully....

o

Well, heck, Mitch, I'm leaving for the Ozarks early on Friday morning or else I'd try to catch up with you somewhere!

Let me know if you catch a show or two, you know I'm always interested! (I'm still singing "Popular" and "I'm Not That Girl" from "Wicked" -- loud and clear in my car when I'm alone, LOL!!!)

o

Hi woodie, no I did not catch any shows this time; I was helping DD get organized in her Williamsburg sublet appartment and time really flew in between trips to Target in flatbush. I had limited time for shopping in Manhattan so when I did get to Sephora, they were so busy I could not wait around for someone to help me sample the bare minerals makeup; I picked up the lipstick I wanted and left. There was only one stick left in the color I wanted, drats, I would have bought 3.
I'll try the makeup next time.
I want to see Wicked. I saw Bombay dreams last winter and loved it, the reviews were just so so.

o

I'm sorry for not answering the questions about the brushless mascara sooner. It looks just like any other mascara until you pull the wand out. Instead of having a brush on the end, there are tiny grooves on the wand. It coats the lashes with one swipe. I find it easier to use because it's smaller in diameter and easier to control.

o

We have just gotten Ulta in our area, and I love it! Yesterday the demonstrator did my face with the Bare Escentuals and it seemed very nice. Then QVC really promoted it last night, so I think I'll try it now that I know something about the line.

Question: If you cannot have moisturizer on your face before using the foundation, doesn't your face feel a little dry? The demonstrator sprayed my face with water before applying it. Do y'all do that?

o

You can use moisturizer - just use one that doesn't leave a greasy film on your face, because any powder will "grab" onto that. Or put on your moisturizer a while beforehand, to let the moisturizer soak into your skin.

Bare Minerals foundation's main ingredient is titanium dioxide, which has lubricating properties, so it doesn't feel drying.

o

Socks, when I was at the Sephora shop and they gave me a demo - every time she wiped off the foundation on my face to try another shade, she always applied moisturizer to my face again. I definitely think you should use moisturizer, I always do. (Just FYI I use Neutrogena oil free "Moisture" for sensitive skin.)

o

Woodie & Gina, thanks for the help!

I'm trying to use eyeliner as the Bare Minerals demonstrator showed me how much better my eyes look with liner. She showed me how to mix the powdered liner with water and apply with a liner brush. Easy for her, but not for me. Does anyone else use Bare Minerals liner? Is there an easier one to use? I'm not good at this!

o

Now that sounds like a hassle to me. I use Bare Minerals for the benefits to my skin and how it looks. I don't see the benefit of having to mix up eye liner. I've used liquid liners in the past and I'm pretty good at applying it, but it's too tricky for most people. I use Avon's Perfect Wear now - lasts all day, cheap. I buy multiples when it's on sale.

o

I Love Bare Minerals and have used it for a couple of years. I got mine on QVC and think that's a great way to try something new--if you don't like it, just send it back, no questions asked, within 30 days.

I think it's pure magic. When you put it on right (that is, not too much), no one would ever know you have makeup on but your face looks smoother, more vibrant, and so much better. My sister has rosacea and some pretty deep scarring, and it made her skin look so much better.

I do put moisturizer on before I put on the foundation, but I let it soak in a few minutes before I do the Bare Escentuals and it's just fine.

o

I also use Bare Minerals and have been using it for about 4 yrs, I've also tried sheer cover and really don't see a difference in the 2 products. How often do you wash your brushes? How often do you replace your brushes? I think they are rather expensive so I was just wondering.

o

They've started a trend, now there are other minerals products out.

The brushes don't "shed" - they seem good quality. I wash mine once or twice a week. Swish them in a bowl of soapy water, then rinse, rinse, rinse.

o

Ack-=-my brushes shed so badly that when I am done with my make-up, I stand in the shower and shake off the loose bristles from my shirt. I love Bare Minerals and don't want to change, but I am disappointed in my brushes. Oh, and I wash them about once every 2 weeks with liquid soap and warm water.

o

Thanks to everyone who recommended Bare Minerals. I've been using it about a week now, and I am impressed. No one else has said anything to me, but I can see a difference in the appearance of my skin. I only have three flaking places now (I have skin problems and also use a prescription lotion), and they look much better.
I agree that there is a learning curve to applying it most effectively, and I am still learning.
I had not been able to wear lip color for ages now -- no matter what variety or brand it was, my lips broke out. Now I use the blush on my lips followed by lip balm. I am so pleased! At last I am able to add that finishing touch to my lips. It gives me a soft, not harsh, look and I have been able to use it every day with absolutely no problems.
The only two products I don't use are the eyeliner and mascara. They are black, and don't fit with my skin color and age. I have gone back to my old eyeliner and mascara and it looks better.
I am so happy to find makeup that doesn't irritate my skin. Thanks again. K.

o

I'm about to order my second brush...mine is shedding as well. This time I'll make sure I wash it more often, hopefully that will help.

o

I too have been considering using Bare Minerals. I am a woman of color (light to med brown) and am wondering how it might work. I know they have colors for darker women but does anyone know how Mineral Veil looks on brown skin. I keep thinking it will look ashy or pinkish or something. [By the way, their website states that Mineral Veil is NOT bareMinerals. Anybody know what it IS? ] Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Lis.

o

QVC will be having three Bare Minerals programs this weekend: 9-11 pm tonight (Sat. 2/25), then on Sunday 7-9 am and 7-9 pm. In the past shows, they have demonstrated the products on women of different complexions. It's kind of interesting to see how the products are used.

I don't use Bare Minerals and don't mean to promote QVC.

o

Socks, thanks for the QVC information! I have never seen Bare Minerals demonstrated and I would really love to.

Lisb, sorry I can't answer either of your questions. I personally don't care for the Mineral Veil and don't ever use it. (I just looked at my jars and the 'i.d. mineral veil' does not say "Bare Minerals" on it anywhere. It just says mineral veil and the company is the same, 'Bare Escentuals' but it does not, in fact, say anywhere "Bare Minerals" - the way the foundation does. Not that this means anything to me, LOL, but my guess is that Gina will know if she reads this!

o

I am hoping that someone can give me some suggestions. I have been using bare minerals for almost a year now, and I still don't get it. I have a kit I purchased on QVC with 2 foundations, glee, brush, mineral veil. I purchased separately and few eyeshadows and 2 multi-task powders. I think I need a new brush the brush that came with my kit is shedding. When I sweat the powders make my face itch, I think it might be the brush, don't know but my face itch's really bad after application. Have any of you had that problem. The eyeshadows are nice. As someone said above it does bring out all my pores and the fine lines around my eyes. Maybe I am using to much? How much do you put in to the lid to start your tap,buff routine??
Carrie

o

Carrie, look at this tutorial which I found here on the forum. I hope it helps you - it gave me some reassurance when I first started using it because I never saw any of the infomercials (and I still have only caught a few minutes one time) and I had no idea what I was doing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutorial

o

Thanks for pointing that out to me. She is alot younger then me, I am 46. She does not have to worry about the fine lines, lucky her, I don't have alot just a few under my eyes. WE have the same color skin. When she stated she kinda grinds the brush into her skin (we say buff) that is the part that made me cringe because of the itching I get. Also when she stated to re-apply the mineral veil when she gets shiny or sweats OH GOD it is the sweat combined with the bare minerals that makes me itch. She did a great job on her demo. I am going to purchase the skin revver upper and see if that helps with the pores, lines and the itching. I really like the stuff and want it to work, I have invested so much money so far, it is the itching I can't stand.
I want to apoligize to cinderella for hi-jacking her thread. Maybe I should start another about the the itching from BM.
Thanks for the help woodie2
Carrie

o

Well, since I'm 57 I know all about lines, LOL!

Sorry about the itching that you suffer with. Maybe you just need to go away from Bare Minerals and try something else. I know you've invested a lot of money, but if you're allergic then its just not worth it. Wish I could help.

o

Mineral Veil is one of the company's products. Some of their packaging says "i.d." on them. Mineral Veil is not made with the same finely-milled minerals that the foundations and colored products are. It's a cornstarch-powder formula.

You shouldn't be "grinding" the brush bristles into your skin - bad girls!

Also, try to use only one thing at a time to see what's making you itch. The foundation is very pure - it mainly contains Titanium Dioxide, which is hypo-allergenic.

o

I just found this discussion & I have been wanting to try the Bare Minerals for a long time & need some good advice....With color selections & sizes....On the Bare Minerals web site it doesn't say what size their products are, I have been doing a lot of researching on E Bay & notice some are 20g & some 30g...some tsp...what the heck do I want for the best prices? I am soooo confused.....I don't want to pay a big amount & end up getting a sample size or getting a little make up for a lot of money..I would appreciate any help that anybody can offer...also, on the color selections, I would not say that I am fair skinned but not medium, although I have a (naturally) dark auburn hair (with a few stands of that dreaded gray color) but am not as fair skinned as most redheads...I am just looking for help before I put out the money....
Thanks!!!!!!

o

ok, I too have been following this discussion for some time, and I'm gonna throw in my two cents worth. Again.
I have now purchased Bare Minerals, Sheer Cover, Jane Iredale Minerals, Valerie Cosmetics, Elegant minerals, and physicians formula minerals. Boy is my billfold tired! Bare Minerals is pricey, and a little glimmery, I'm a medium ( a graying red/lt brown with a not porcelain complexion). Sheer cover , same, but I love their travel brush that holds the makeup in the handle. And they both want you to join their club, which I won't do, so things are more expensive. Jane Iredale makes BM look cheap around here. Physicians formula is ok, but drying on the skin, where the others are not. My favorites are the Elegant minerals and the Valerie cosmetics. I am a "Fresco" Shade with Valerie, and a "cornsilk" or "golden tan" with Elegant. Elegant minerals is much cheaper than the others, and for a few bucks you can try them and get what they call a travel kit, which is enough for about a week, and it includes 2 makeup shades and a blush and an eyecolor. They also throw in a brush and a travel bag. Think it was $6. Then if you like it and have the right shade, a regular container ( the 20g or 30g sizes) can be ordered easily by email. I also like the valerie line, just a very little more expensive than Elegant. I have also found Noxemas Oil Free moisturizer for sensitive skin is good underneath, but let it dry very thoroughly before applying the minerals or you look cakey.
All in all the last 8 to 10 weeks has been interesting to say the least while trying all this out. I tried this makeup because my skin is so VERY sensitive I had never before worn makeup. I'm now the happy age of 50 (yuk) and need to even out my skin tone and hide a few "laughlines" and these all do that. And if you are like me, I have better things to do with my money than buy very expensive makeup! I'm a quilter, and this money would buy a lot of fabric! LOL

o

Will this make up help my face look like it's not dry and pealing? My face is extremely dry, and when I use foundation it looks terrible, my face looks flaky. HELP

o

Just had to pipe in on this topic. I have been using mineral make-up for over 2 years now. I get mine from Aromaleigh.com Many people who experience itching with other brands say they do not feel itchy with the Aromaleigh line--something about Aromaleigh's products not having any bismuth in them, I think. And, this line seems to hit a nice balance between "glowy" and matte.

A couple of hints I have after reading this whole thread:

I use olive oil to moisturize my very dry face. When I first read about someone doing this, I was very skeptical, even though my skin is very dry and I had tried many brands of creams and lotions, some very expensive. None seemed better than another. After washing my face, I use an eye dropper to put 5 -7 drops of olive oil into my hand, rub hands together, and spread over my face and neck, including eyelids and lips. I brush my teeth next, which allows the oil enough time to be absorbed into my skin, leaving it perfect to take hold of the minerals. If I wait much longer than that, my skin has absorbed every bit of the oil, the surface is dry, and the minerals do not adhere as well. The amount of oil to use and the amount of time to allow it to absorb were things I had to learn by trial and error.

I use a very small "smidgeon" measuring spoon to know how much minerals to use each day. You could use the 1/8 teaspoon from a regular set of measuring spoons, but you will probably only need 1/2 of that - that means about 1/16 of a teaspoon.

I didn't like swirling my brush in the jar lids--too confining. So, I picked up a cute little wine glass at a thrift shop. Mine has a wide, shallow shape, maybe it's really a dessert glass on a stem. Anyway, the smooth curved bowl and deeper shape makes it really easy for me to mix and swirl and swish and tap the kabuki brush to my heart's content, without making a mess or losing any minerals.

My kabuki brush is over 2 years old and still going strong. It sheds 3 or 4 hairs on my face each day when I apply my minerals and always has, but rarely is it enough hairs to be a problem.

I wash my brush regularly and must suggest that everyone be careful to not get water up into the base of the brush. I dip my brush into warm water with shampoo and then "smoosh" it around in the palm of my hand to work a very light lather all through the bristles. Then rinse, rinse, rinse by holding the handle, aiming the bristles down, so water never goes into the base of the bristles. Of course, some moisture will wick it's way up the hairs, but do now allow water to flow down into the handle and do not let the handle get into the basin of water.

To dry the kabuki, I dab and roll it quite a bit on a thick towel (my brush still leaves faint "dye" marks, even after all this time). Then, to hang the brush with bristles down to dry, I use 2 sort of thick, small rubberbands. I've pulled one through the other to knot them together. I loop this over a towel ring (towel bars are too big for my rubberbands - you could use a clothes hanger, too) and pull one rubberband through the one that is over the bar. I put the loop that was pulled through around the kabuki handle so it is hanging upside down to dry. Drying usually takes several hours or overnight - even here in the dry desert of Phoenix.

After using mineral make-up, I cannot imagine going back to other types: liquids or creams. I love the light feeling of no make-up and the look is better than the creams, and lasts all day.

I hope this rather long post helps someone enjoy their mineral make-up a bit more.

o

Thank you empress!
I love the idea of olive oil for a moisturizer. That sounds perfect to me.
I do not have any BE brushes. But when I do get some I will be sure to wash mine as you do.
I love all the little helpful hints.
Dawn

o

empress, Love your idea for using a small glass container. I tried a small dessert bowl, almost like a custard dish and it works great. I also passed the olive oil idea along to MIL, she is having a problem with extreamly dry skin hope it helps her. I also couldn't imagine going back to regular cream make-up.
Donna

o

Have you noticed that other companies are coming out with make-up similar to Bare Minerals? I saw that Ulta has their own line, and I saw L'Oreal or some other major brand (can't remember) at Savon.

o

i started using Bare Minerals for about 1 week and I broke out, i rested my face for about 5 days and tried it again, thinking that it was just a one time deal. Boy i was wrong, pimple after pimple right on my jawline, i can't explain how i got it really, but i finally stopped. Tried Jane Iredale, looks too greasy and very heavy for a mineral makeup, my skin felt really tight and again i was still breaking out. I was told that it aws the bismuth that makes it looks soo shiny and causing the breakout. So i did my research for mineral makeup that has none of this, and i found mb Pure Minerals, although they dont have a vast selections, but it was pretty straight forward and list all the ingredients and net weight on every product. When i received my order, i was surprised to see that they are even shrink wrapped, cool. How come the big brand names can't even afford to take that extra mile and add a freakin shrink wrap on their items, (BUT THEY CAN AFFORD $$$ OF INFOMERCIALS) hmmmm.
Anyhow, i used the foundation, my shade is Beige Pink, well i actually bought the samples first (3 different shades), dont' worry, samples are only $3/ea, and good for at least a week of use. THis is the prefect shade for me, and the feel is just amazing, it has a porcelan no shine finish and i haven't used the veil yet. The owner was right, you choose where you want to shine, they have the 3 in 1 blush/bronzer, it gives me that healthy summer glow, since im fair complexion,i love it!!The multi-purpose concealer is an absolute treat, im using it for the scars that was left from using Bare Minerals and JI and on some broken capillaries on my face, it hides everything. SO you guys, don't pay for the name, research for a better and cheaper mineral makeup, and make sure it does not have bismuth, talc or cornstarch in it. I know minerals are minerals, but a few can only claim that they are pure, and one of them is mb pure minerals (1 in Canada and one in New York). Goodluck guys!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for Pure Minerals

o

I have been using Bare Minerals for a year now and I love it. I am sorry that you did not have luck with it Gingerbread and I am happy that you have found something that works for you.

I am curious about mb Pure Minerals. What exactly is it? I am especially curious about the multi-purpose concealer. I can't get the link to come up.

o

I am a recent convert to mineral makeup. I LOVE it. I'll never go back to liquid, creme, or powder. I was completely unwaware there are so many manufacturers - I thought Bare Minerals was it. I have tried five different brands: Everyday Minerals, Aromaleigh, SunCat, Cory Cosmetics, and GeoGrafx (haven't actually received the GeoGrafx yet). All the companies give free or low-cost samples, so thers's no reason to shell out for BM when there are so many other choices. It is apparently very easy to make your own also, which I am going to try upon receipt of my kit from Monave. Anyway, if you want to try but don't want to shell out a lot, just google "mineral makeup" and you'll see hundreds of options - most offer samples of everything. Cory's are only $0.35 each! Everyday Minerals offers a totally free kit - you just pay for shipping. SunCat has a very generous sample kit (5 or 6 items) for $12.00, no shipping charge. Aromaleigh's vary depending on what the product is - I think all are $2.20 or less. The samples alone will last a while - you only need a very small amount of the powdered minerals to get good cover, and if a color is not quite right, you can mix many of them together to customize it yourself.

FWIW, I really like the Everyday Minerals (and way cheaper than BM!) and the Aromaleigh lines, although I think Cory Cosmetics has the color (Pale Beige) that is the most perfect match for me. I think Everyday is the best value around. Aromaleigh has a wonderful color selection. SunCat is gloriously silky on the skin. Another thing, you do need to get a good kabuki brush but you can find these on Ebay for much cheaper than most offered by the makeup companies, although Everyday Minerals has a very nice one for $9.00. For other brushers, go to an art supply store and buy artists' brushes. MUCH cheaper than buying "makeup" brushes either online or from the makeup co. (Pro makeup artists use real artists' brushes all the time.) Especially the Taklon concealer brushes, and smaller brushes for eyes or lips. An extra-large Round Mop (this is a standard brush size/name) is a great powder/finalizer brush, or for overall duster/color. A smaller Mop is great for blush. Sable artist brushes can be expensive but you don't need sable for most makeup anyway. I just got a nice supply from A.C. Moore for less than $20.00 - everything I could want except the kabuki, which I bought from Everyday Minerals and Ebay. Well I sound like an infomercial here!

o

EDIT: in my above post I mentioned an Extra-Large Round Mop artist's brush. What I meant was the Extra-Extra-Large Round Mop. The XXL is bigger, obviously; I think it's better for finalizer or mineral veil and the Extra-Large is better for blush or contouring. Although both can probably work well for both uses.

o

I used Bare Minerals for a year and love Mineral Makeup. I will never go back to liquid. A short time ago I found this Direct Selling Co. that is selling Mineral Makeup in its purest form along with olive oil based bath and body products. They are running a special now where you get a starter kit for $25.00 and you can buy product for a year at 50% off with no minimum order amounts. Kind of like a Sams Club.The makeup is wonderful maybe even better than Bare Minerals.

o

I recently bought l'Oreal's version and I love it. It came with a brush that appears to be of decent quality and is not shedding hair. I love the effect. I think I paid about 12$ for make-up with brush. I like the convenience of being able to buy it almost anywhere - from the grocery store to Target.

o

L'Oreal's is pretty good but it's actually not mineral makeup foundation, at least not what all the MMU companies call "mineral makeup." Its ingredients are:
Titanium dioxide
Zinc oxide
Talc
Boron nitride
Dimethicone
Carnaba wax
Cetyl dimethicone
Trimethyloxysilicate
Trisocetyl citrate
Alde baradensis leaf juice
Tocopheryroyl
Panthenol

"True" mineral makeup usually only contains titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxide, and sometimes mica and some brands (Bare Minerals, for example) bismuth oxychloride. I did try L'Oreal's version and thought it was fine until I tried a real MMU. Huge difference. The convenience of L'Oreal is greater, for sure, but MMU foundation lasts so long that even when you're running low, it takes a LONG time to actually run out! All the samples I've gotten say "2-3 uses" - heck, people must be putting it on an inch thick if they can only get 2-3 uses out of it! Even Cory samples, which are the smallest, are PLENTY for at least a week if not longer. Blush lasts way longer than that. The amount used is really just a sprinkle.

If you're ambitious, get a kit and make your own. Monave sells a kit that makes five 10 gram pots (that's the normal size everyone sells) of foundation for only $30.00. They give you basic recipes and you can fool around to make your own perfect color. That is by far the cheapest way to get it. Monave suggests you get a gram scale to get precise measurements but if you're just making it for yourself, tiny measuring spoons would probably work just fine. If you do want a gram scale, Ebay has dozens for way cheap.

I swear, I do not work for a MMU co! I'm just a true convert. :-)

o

hrp3ks thanks for the info. I'll keep using the l'Oreal version, but when I get a chance to stop into Ulta or Sephora I'll try the true mineral make-up to see what the difference is. It does have a nice, smooth natural finish - not shiny. I have dry skin and maybe the Dimethicone, Carnaba wax,Cetyl dimethicone etc. may help with to avoid MMU being too drying? I do apply sunscreen about 20 minutes before applying to give it a chance to absorb before applying foundation.

o

Help! I just went to Sephora and had a consultation about Bare Minerals, and the end result just broke my heart. I felt like I looked freakishly shiny--it was way too sparkly for my taste. I almost looked greasy. Sooo... my question for all of you experts is, did she do it wrong? I really wanted to wear Bare Minerals for my wedding because you all made it sound so great! Some qualifying details that might help: I am 28, have somewhat oily skin (at least in patches), and don't usually wear makeup. I sure would appreciate your help!

o

Xantippe - first, let me say that I have never used Bare Minerals. However, after trying MMU, I have read practically every Web site and message board about MMU, both Bare Minerals and all the other brands. What people say is that Bare Minerals definitely is shinier than other brands - I think it's the bismuth oxychloride in it - not sure. Brands with lots of mica, or shiny mica (there are different types of mica) will be shinier than others. I've read that it's necessary to use Mineral Veil when using BM because that's what cuts down on the high shine factor. From what I've read, most other brands are nowhere near as shiny as Bare Minerals. If your wedding isn't too far away, you might want to try a few companies and get their free or low-cost samples to see what brand works the best for you. Also many companies offer different formulas - maybe one is more shiny, another is totally matte. I suppose it's possible the Sephora did it wrong but they usually have a lot of practice so I would guess it was right, unless for some reason she did not use any Mineral Veil.

o

I have been reading everyones opinions about the Bare Minerals product and I am going to order tonight :D I am so excited, and I will be ordering the 26 peice collection from the site, the largest one they have. I have a feeling I will be addicted like the rest of you. I will let yall know how well it works for me as soon as I try it. Thanks again for helping me decide what I was going to do. I was using a product called Sheer Cover, kinda like the bare minerals, but it made me break out and have a thick feeling. I read the ingredients and there is as much in the poweder as there is in a normal foundation you can buy from the stores, It made me break out everywere. I now know that you get knowhere by buying a "kock-off" brand. Cant wait to see my makeup show up in the mail! Talk to you all soon!!
Christi

o

well, after hearing what everyone has to say, i finally ordered it. I can't wait for it to come, hope it works as good for me as it does for all of you

o

In my humble opinion it is one of the best makeups around. One of my stylist introduced it to me. I have a salon and makeup is a must. I never knew she had such splotchy skin until I saw her one time without makeup. I had to ask what kind she used, it was Bare minerals. It is even good for 50+ skin. I know. Try buying some samples from e-bay then you won't invest a great amount until you find out it is the makeup for you. Good luck!!!!!!!

o

I am 46 with outstanding skin that everyone finds amazing, including me. With this wondeful skin I have worn little make-up most of my life with cream foundations or blushes covering the apples of my cheeks when necessary---absolutely no powders unless I was being photographed. I HATE POWDERS! However, after viewing infocommercials for 8 years, I decided I would give Bare Minerals a shot. I was leery of the entire thought of anything that resembles a powder. I must confess this stuff is amazing! I do not have the sick powder look that emphasizes any possible flaw. I might add, in the last two years my freckles have deepened in color, which was my reason for always wearing cream foundation or blush over the apples. Amazing stuff for improving the appearance of even the best skin around. Try it, be patient, figure it out---you will look fabulous!!!

o

I am 46 with outstanding skin that everyone finds amazing, including me. With this wondeful skin I have worn little make-up most of my life with cream foundations or blushes covering the apples of my cheeks when necessary---absolutely no powders unless I was being photographed. I HATE POWDERS! However, after viewing infocommercials for 8 years, I decided I would give Bare Minerals a shot. I was leery of the entire thought of anything that resembles a powder. I must confess this stuff is amazing! I do not have the sick powder look that emphasizes any possible flaw. I might add, in the last two years my freckles have deepened in color, which was my reason for always wearing cream foundation or blush over the apples. Amazing stuff for improving the appearance of even the best skin around. Try it, be patient, figure it out---you will look fabulous!!!

o

I was wondering does anyone know if they have a dark circle "concealer" product? I am 25 and have had dark circles my whole life and have not yet found a product that does not look like thick make-up that emphasizes every fine line. I just ordered my starter kit yesterday and can't wait to try it! Also, no stores near me, where is the best place to find the eyeshadows, ebay? thanks!

o

I have a question after reading all your positive comments on the Bare Minerals Line. I wanted to try the mineral makeup and because it was cheaper I ordered a brand called Sheer Cover, I thought I liked it but decided that the coverage just wasn't what I was looking for and other problems. Has anyone tried the Sheer Cover AND the Bare Minerals and how do they compare to each other?

o

I have enjoyed reading all of the posts on this subject but I am a little confused - can someone help me? Is BareMinerals the same as Escential Minerals? Is the ID or i.d. important in the name? I've looked on several websites and still can't figure it out. Help!

o

Bare Escentuals is the company name, Bare Minerals is the product name.

o

First of all, I'm a 21 year old male. I discovered Bare Minerals when I was still in high school from my mother, who ordered it from QVC.

As I teenager, I had pretty bad acne, so I'd tried to cover it up with various supermarket brand liquid and powder foundations; however, my classmates could tell that I was obviously wearing makeup and made fun of me for it.

When I started using Bare Minerals, though, no one could tell that I was wearing make up. (At least, they never verbalized it). To this day, even though I've grown out of my acne phase, and, in my opinion, I have really good skin now, I still wear Bare Minerals because I figure it doesn't hurt to be even MORE perfect, and no one ever tells me, "You look like you're wearing makeup." Instead, people tell me, "You have amazing skin. I'm so jealous."

Anyway, that's my story. I hope it inspires others to use Bare Minerals too.

o

wow this thread seems to be going on for ever now ...yet i have a few questions...i am yet to buy my first mineral makeup . What i want to know is...it is worth the money if it doesnt give the face a finished look...i mean if u cud still c the dark circles and blemishes..shud i still buy it..just coz it looks most natural than others ..
I dont know y but i am still confused ...i need to buy a good foundation soon...
plz help

o

I found it a bit too much for me, but I don't like a heavily made up face either.

o

I think the deal with this kind of make-up is you really need to practice using it. It takes very, very little to cover and it's important to match your natural skin color. When I first tried it, I used too much and was using a shade too light. The results looked like I had too much makeup on. You need a light touch and the right shade, IMHO.

o

Finally i have decided on ordering the samples of everyday minerals. But can anyone tell me if i want to order the full size makeup ..where can i get the discount coupons...coz at checkout they give u the options of using the discount codes.
I hope i am ordering the right shades. Keeping my figures cross.

o

I love it. I find that if you don't wear moisturizer underneath wrinkles and fine lines are very noticeable though so don't forget the moisturizer. Avon just started making a mineral foundation product, I can't wait to try it. I'm hoping it is as good as or better than bare minerals, it's a lot cheaper in price. I will find out soon because I just recently ordered the Avon brand.

o

It seems that you either love or hate this product. I don't quite hate it, but I don't like it very much. I tried the Bare Minerals foundation a couple of years ago. I have combination skin with large pores on my nose. And I'm middle-aged. I found this product to be messy, hard to control, it doesn't give the coverage of a tradition foundation and it leaves a slight shimmer, which settles into fine lines and exaggerates the pores. Now I only use it in the inside corners of my eyes, and just under my lower lashes to keep my mascara from bleeding onto my face.

o

I tried Bare Minerals because I have rosacea and cannot use most makeups with a flare up. I works really well, does not irritate my skin, and looks great. It even does a really good job of evening out my skin (I feel like Rudolph sometimes!). However, I could not stand the mess it made on my sink any more. So I decided to try purminerals pressed mineral makeup. I am very happy with it. It is pressed not loose so it does not fly all over when I am applying it. It is also a bit more matte than Bare minerals. Since my skin is very oily, I appreciate a little less sparkle. I have been using it about 6 weeks now, so far so good. If it was going to cause my rosacea to flair up, it would have happened by now. It also matches my skin tone better. With the Bare Minerals, I always felt like one color was a bit dark, but the lighter color was a bit too light. Could just be because I don't like to wear makeup. I prefer to look like I don't have any makeup on. Oh yes, I always wear moisturizer under this too, I think all of the mineral powders must be a bit dry, I also tried a fancier brand before, But the colors were nowhere close to my skin tone, I either looked anemic, or sunburned!

o

...reading this I'm almost persuaded to dive into it...BUT still, i haven't heard from anyone with very dry skin (like me). I once had a girlfriend with very oily skin who used shiseido powder make up. On HER it looked great- she persuaded me to use it as well, she flattered me,I felt confident and happy with it- until one of my colleagues finally said "my god, that stuff you're putting on makes you 20 years OLDER!!! you look like you have wrinkles like an old maid".....the powder was doing the opposite of what I wanted. Got rid of a false friend for me, though...lol!! So- would I have the same effect with Bare Minerals, or would it be fantastic?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here