SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinderella_gw

Bare Minerals makeup

Cinderella
19 years ago

Has anyone here used this and if so what did you think. Would you keep using it?

I really want to try it but not till I hear from others that use it.

Thanks!

Comments (131)

• Gina_W
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Now that sounds like a hassle to me. I use Bare Minerals for the benefits to my skin and how it looks. I don't see the benefit of having to mix up eye liner. I've used liquid liners in the past and I'm pretty good at applying it, but it's too tricky for most people. I use Avon's Perfect Wear now - lasts all day, cheap. I buy multiples when it's on sale.

• tucsonlady
    18 years ago

I Love Bare Minerals and have used it for a couple of years. I got mine on QVC and think that's a great way to try something new--if you don't like it, just send it back, no questions asked, within 30 days.

I think it's pure magic. When you put it on right (that is, not too much), no one would ever know you have makeup on but your face looks smoother, more vibrant, and so much better. My sister has rosacea and some pretty deep scarring, and it made her skin look so much better.

I do put moisturizer on before I put on the foundation, but I let it soak in a few minutes before I do the Bare Escentuals and it's just fine.

• Related Discussions

Make-up

Q

Comments (13)
    If you know someone about your age who uses makeup that you like you might ask her for suggestions as to where to go to try products - and who to see at the store. Since I live in Toronto, many lines are exclusive to one particular store and over the years (I will turn 59 tomorrow) customers who don't really know each other, but have seen each other over the years and how we each have aged - and changed our makeup etc. - often ask each other for suggestions before approaching the sales staff. It will be helpful if you know of any skin issues you might have - I am a disaster - very pale, yellow-toned, thin, extra dry skin - with rosacea - facial and ocular - with extreme sensitivities to anything formulated for sensitive skin - and products containing botanicals - and acids of any sort. Makes life hard. I also can't use a product that has a combined SPF. My skin is naturally dry - as dry today as at 16. I also can't take anti-histamine so a problem with hayfever etc. I am extremely acidic - a brown lipstick will turn hot pink in a matter of minutes - and I don't suit pink. I have auburn hair (now coloured of course) and hazel eyes - but I can't use lavender shades of e/s that would normally suit hazel eyes due to my yellow-toned skin and I also can't handle the lavender pigment. I need a full coverage, oil based foundation - apply a lot of it, a cream blush, loose powder - and look as if I am wearing just a touch of makeup - kind of funny but sad. My lips are colourless without lipstick and hard to find one that doesn't turn. So basically I have one lipstick and one lipliner, one blush and foundation etc. My eye shadows are neutral - all I have ever really suited. Nothing I use is cheap - sure wish I could find something a little less expensive. But on the other hand, my one lipstick, while expensive is only one lipstick. So many women have drawers full. Same with blushes, foundations etc. I don't wear perfume because it turns something awful on me - so savings big time there. So just check around, see who you know or could ask. Anyone I send to the 2 ladies I trust at the store in Toronto have always been told the truth - and they use my name as a referral. One thing - get a good foundation - not a cheapie - this makes a big difference in staying power.
    ...See More

BAre Minerals a disappointment.......

Q

Comments (17)
    the reason that you are feeling a pricking itching sensation on your face is not because of the minerals moving around on your face but because of the naturals sunscreen, titanium oxide. some people notice that pricking sensation when they are in the heat or sweating, it will go away after a short time. i experienced this same thing for a short time but i cannot tell you the last time that i felt that and i live where the temperature is commonly over 100 degrees and it is constantly humid. i have been using the makeup for awhile now and could never switch to anything else. i have even tried the avon mineral makeup and it is very thick and cakes easliy. bare minerals is one of the only true mineral makeups and has been around the longest.
    ...See More

bare minerals and bare escentuals the same?

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow, I have read and read and read the bare mineral thread and have searched and searched google trying to find out this same information. There were so many posts on the bare mineral subject, I felt like an outsider looking in as everybody seemed to be able to figure this out but me. Thank you for asking this question and thank you for the answer!
    ...See More

Mineral make-up

Q

Comments (1)
    I've got the very same concerns. I hate the feel of powder & haven't had it on in probably 30 yrs or more. One of these days I'll get over to Sephora & see if they can try it out on me. My other concern is that it will add a lot more time to my morning routine.
    ...See More
  • msmagoo
    18 years ago

I also use Bare Minerals and have been using it for about 4 yrs, I've also tried sheer cover and really don't see a difference in the 2 products. How often do you wash your brushes? How often do you replace your brushes? I think they are rather expensive so I was just wondering.

• Gina_W
    18 years ago

They've started a trend, now there are other minerals products out.

The brushes don't "shed" - they seem good quality. I wash mine once or twice a week. Swish them in a bowl of soapy water, then rinse, rinse, rinse.

• naughtykitty
    18 years ago

Ack-=-my brushes shed so badly that when I am done with my make-up, I stand in the shower and shake off the loose bristles from my shirt. I love Bare Minerals and don't want to change, but I am disappointed in my brushes. Oh, and I wash them about once every 2 weeks with liquid soap and warm water.

• call_me_karen
    18 years ago

Thanks to everyone who recommended Bare Minerals. I've been using it about a week now, and I am impressed. No one else has said anything to me, but I can see a difference in the appearance of my skin. I only have three flaking places now (I have skin problems and also use a prescription lotion), and they look much better.
    I agree that there is a learning curve to applying it most effectively, and I am still learning.
    I had not been able to wear lip color for ages now -- no matter what variety or brand it was, my lips broke out. Now I use the blush on my lips followed by lip balm. I am so pleased! At last I am able to add that finishing touch to my lips. It gives me a soft, not harsh, look and I have been able to use it every day with absolutely no problems.
    The only two products I don't use are the eyeliner and mascara. They are black, and don't fit with my skin color and age. I have gone back to my old eyeliner and mascara and it looks better.
    I am so happy to find makeup that doesn't irritate my skin. Thanks again. K.

• singleton165
    18 years ago

I'm about to order my second brush...mine is shedding as well. This time I'll make sure I wash it more often, hopefully that will help.

• lisb
    18 years ago

I too have been considering using Bare Minerals. I am a woman of color (light to med brown) and am wondering how it might work. I know they have colors for darker women but does anyone know how Mineral Veil looks on brown skin. I keep thinking it will look ashy or pinkish or something. [By the way, their website states that Mineral Veil is NOT bareMinerals. Anybody know what it IS? ] Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Lis.

• socks
    18 years ago

QVC will be having three Bare Minerals programs this weekend: 9-11 pm tonight (Sat. 2/25), then on Sunday 7-9 am and 7-9 pm. In the past shows, they have demonstrated the products on women of different complexions. It's kind of interesting to see how the products are used.

I don't use Bare Minerals and don't mean to promote QVC.

• woodie
    18 years ago

Socks, thanks for the QVC information! I have never seen Bare Minerals demonstrated and I would really love to.

Lisb, sorry I can't answer either of your questions. I personally don't care for the Mineral Veil and don't ever use it. (I just looked at my jars and the 'i.d. mineral veil' does not say "Bare Minerals" on it anywhere. It just says mineral veil and the company is the same, 'Bare Escentuals' but it does not, in fact, say anywhere "Bare Minerals" - the way the foundation does. Not that this means anything to me, LOL, but my guess is that Gina will know if she reads this!

• Carrie_AZ
    17 years ago

I am hoping that someone can give me some suggestions. I have been using bare minerals for almost a year now, and I still don't get it. I have a kit I purchased on QVC with 2 foundations, glee, brush, mineral veil. I purchased separately and few eyeshadows and 2 multi-task powders. I think I need a new brush the brush that came with my kit is shedding. When I sweat the powders make my face itch, I think it might be the brush, don't know but my face itch's really bad after application. Have any of you had that problem. The eyeshadows are nice. As someone said above it does bring out all my pores and the fine lines around my eyes. Maybe I am using to much? How much do you put in to the lid to start your tap,buff routine??
    Carrie

• woodie
    17 years ago

Carrie, look at this tutorial which I found here on the forum. I hope it helps you - it gave me some reassurance when I first started using it because I never saw any of the infomercials (and I still have only caught a few minutes one time) and I had no idea what I was doing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutorial

• Carrie_AZ
    17 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out to me. She is alot younger then me, I am 46. She does not have to worry about the fine lines, lucky her, I don't have alot just a few under my eyes. WE have the same color skin. When she stated she kinda grinds the brush into her skin (we say buff) that is the part that made me cringe because of the itching I get. Also when she stated to re-apply the mineral veil when she gets shiny or sweats OH GOD it is the sweat combined with the bare minerals that makes me itch. She did a great job on her demo. I am going to purchase the skin revver upper and see if that helps with the pores, lines and the itching. I really like the stuff and want it to work, I have invested so much money so far, it is the itching I can't stand.
    I want to apoligize to cinderella for hi-jacking her thread. Maybe I should start another about the the itching from BM.
    Thanks for the help woodie2
    Carrie

• woodie
    17 years ago

Well, since I'm 57 I know all about lines, LOL!

Sorry about the itching that you suffer with. Maybe you just need to go away from Bare Minerals and try something else. I know you've invested a lot of money, but if you're allergic then its just not worth it. Wish I could help.

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

Mineral Veil is one of the company's products. Some of their packaging says "i.d." on them. Mineral Veil is not made with the same finely-milled minerals that the foundations and colored products are. It's a cornstarch-powder formula.

You shouldn't be "grinding" the brush bristles into your skin - bad girls!

Also, try to use only one thing at a time to see what's making you itch. The foundation is very pure - it mainly contains Titanium Dioxide, which is hypo-allergenic.

• Adriel_135
    17 years ago

I just found this discussion & I have been wanting to try the Bare Minerals for a long time & need some good advice....With color selections & sizes....On the Bare Minerals web site it doesn't say what size their products are, I have been doing a lot of researching on E Bay & notice some are 20g & some 30g...some tsp...what the heck do I want for the best prices? I am soooo confused.....I don't want to pay a big amount & end up getting a sample size or getting a little make up for a lot of money..I would appreciate any help that anybody can offer...also, on the color selections, I would not say that I am fair skinned but not medium, although I have a (naturally) dark auburn hair (with a few stands of that dreaded gray color) but am not as fair skinned as most redheads...I am just looking for help before I put out the money....
    Thanks!!!!!!

• hayden2239
    17 years ago

ok, I too have been following this discussion for some time, and I'm gonna throw in my two cents worth. Again.
    I have now purchased Bare Minerals, Sheer Cover, Jane Iredale Minerals, Valerie Cosmetics, Elegant minerals, and physicians formula minerals. Boy is my billfold tired! Bare Minerals is pricey, and a little glimmery, I'm a medium ( a graying red/lt brown with a not porcelain complexion). Sheer cover , same, but I love their travel brush that holds the makeup in the handle. And they both want you to join their club, which I won't do, so things are more expensive. Jane Iredale makes BM look cheap around here. Physicians formula is ok, but drying on the skin, where the others are not. My favorites are the Elegant minerals and the Valerie cosmetics. I am a "Fresco" Shade with Valerie, and a "cornsilk" or "golden tan" with Elegant. Elegant minerals is much cheaper than the others, and for a few bucks you can try them and get what they call a travel kit, which is enough for about a week, and it includes 2 makeup shades and a blush and an eyecolor. They also throw in a brush and a travel bag. Think it was $6. Then if you like it and have the right shade, a regular container ( the 20g or 30g sizes) can be ordered easily by email. I also like the valerie line, just a very little more expensive than Elegant. I have also found Noxemas Oil Free moisturizer for sensitive skin is good underneath, but let it dry very thoroughly before applying the minerals or you look cakey.
    All in all the last 8 to 10 weeks has been interesting to say the least while trying all this out. I tried this makeup because my skin is so VERY sensitive I had never before worn makeup. I'm now the happy age of 50 (yuk) and need to even out my skin tone and hide a few "laughlines" and these all do that. And if you are like me, I have better things to do with my money than buy very expensive makeup! I'm a quilter, and this money would buy a lot of fabric! LOL

• littlechap
    17 years ago

Will this make up help my face look like it's not dry and pealing? My face is extremely dry, and when I use foundation it looks terrible, my face looks flaky. HELP

• empress
    17 years ago

Just had to pipe in on this topic. I have been using mineral make-up for over 2 years now. I get mine from Aromaleigh.com Many people who experience itching with other brands say they do not feel itchy with the Aromaleigh line--something about Aromaleigh's products not having any bismuth in them, I think. And, this line seems to hit a nice balance between "glowy" and matte.

A couple of hints I have after reading this whole thread:

I use olive oil to moisturize my very dry face. When I first read about someone doing this, I was very skeptical, even though my skin is very dry and I had tried many brands of creams and lotions, some very expensive. None seemed better than another. After washing my face, I use an eye dropper to put 5 -7 drops of olive oil into my hand, rub hands together, and spread over my face and neck, including eyelids and lips. I brush my teeth next, which allows the oil enough time to be absorbed into my skin, leaving it perfect to take hold of the minerals. If I wait much longer than that, my skin has absorbed every bit of the oil, the surface is dry, and the minerals do not adhere as well. The amount of oil to use and the amount of time to allow it to absorb were things I had to learn by trial and error.

I use a very small "smidgeon" measuring spoon to know how much minerals to use each day. You could use the 1/8 teaspoon from a regular set of measuring spoons, but you will probably only need 1/2 of that - that means about 1/16 of a teaspoon.

I didn't like swirling my brush in the jar lids--too confining. So, I picked up a cute little wine glass at a thrift shop. Mine has a wide, shallow shape, maybe it's really a dessert glass on a stem. Anyway, the smooth curved bowl and deeper shape makes it really easy for me to mix and swirl and swish and tap the kabuki brush to my heart's content, without making a mess or losing any minerals.

My kabuki brush is over 2 years old and still going strong. It sheds 3 or 4 hairs on my face each day when I apply my minerals and always has, but rarely is it enough hairs to be a problem.

I wash my brush regularly and must suggest that everyone be careful to not get water up into the base of the brush. I dip my brush into warm water with shampoo and then "smoosh" it around in the palm of my hand to work a very light lather all through the bristles. Then rinse, rinse, rinse by holding the handle, aiming the bristles down, so water never goes into the base of the bristles. Of course, some moisture will wick it's way up the hairs, but do now allow water to flow down into the handle and do not let the handle get into the basin of water.

To dry the kabuki, I dab and roll it quite a bit on a thick towel (my brush still leaves faint "dye" marks, even after all this time). Then, to hang the brush with bristles down to dry, I use 2 sort of thick, small rubberbands. I've pulled one through the other to knot them together. I loop this over a towel ring (towel bars are too big for my rubberbands - you could use a clothes hanger, too) and pull one rubberband through the one that is over the bar. I put the loop that was pulled through around the kabuki handle so it is hanging upside down to dry. Drying usually takes several hours or overnight - even here in the dry desert of Phoenix.

After using mineral make-up, I cannot imagine going back to other types: liquids or creams. I love the light feeling of no make-up and the look is better than the creams, and lasts all day.

I hope this rather long post helps someone enjoy their mineral make-up a bit more.

• misfit
    17 years ago

Thank you empress!
    I love the idea of olive oil for a moisturizer. That sounds perfect to me.
    I do not have any BE brushes. But when I do get some I will be sure to wash mine as you do.
    I love all the little helpful hints.
    Dawn

• donner
    17 years ago

empress, Love your idea for using a small glass container. I tried a small dessert bowl, almost like a custard dish and it works great. I also passed the olive oil idea along to MIL, she is having a problem with extreamly dry skin hope it helps her. I also couldn't imagine going back to regular cream make-up.
    Donna

• socks
    17 years ago

Have you noticed that other companies are coming out with make-up similar to Bare Minerals? I saw that Ulta has their own line, and I saw L'Oreal or some other major brand (can't remember) at Savon.

• gingerbread_2006
    17 years ago

i started using Bare Minerals for about 1 week and I broke out, i rested my face for about 5 days and tried it again, thinking that it was just a one time deal. Boy i was wrong, pimple after pimple right on my jawline, i can't explain how i got it really, but i finally stopped. Tried Jane Iredale, looks too greasy and very heavy for a mineral makeup, my skin felt really tight and again i was still breaking out. I was told that it aws the bismuth that makes it looks soo shiny and causing the breakout. So i did my research for mineral makeup that has none of this, and i found mb Pure Minerals, although they dont have a vast selections, but it was pretty straight forward and list all the ingredients and net weight on every product. When i received my order, i was surprised to see that they are even shrink wrapped, cool. How come the big brand names can't even afford to take that extra mile and add a freakin shrink wrap on their items, (BUT THEY CAN AFFORD $$$ OF INFOMERCIALS) hmmmm.
    Anyhow, i used the foundation, my shade is Beige Pink, well i actually bought the samples first (3 different shades), dont' worry, samples are only $3/ea, and good for at least a week of use. THis is the prefect shade for me, and the feel is just amazing, it has a porcelan no shine finish and i haven't used the veil yet. The owner was right, you choose where you want to shine, they have the 3 in 1 blush/bronzer, it gives me that healthy summer glow, since im fair complexion,i love it!!The multi-purpose concealer is an absolute treat, im using it for the scars that was left from using Bare Minerals and JI and on some broken capillaries on my face, it hides everything. SO you guys, don't pay for the name, research for a better and cheaper mineral makeup, and make sure it does not have bismuth, talc or cornstarch in it. I know minerals are minerals, but a few can only claim that they are pure, and one of them is mb pure minerals (1 in Canada and one in New York). Goodluck guys!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for Pure Minerals

• hoerlel
    17 years ago

I have been using Bare Minerals for a year now and I love it. I am sorry that you did not have luck with it Gingerbread and I am happy that you have found something that works for you.

I am curious about mb Pure Minerals. What exactly is it? I am especially curious about the multi-purpose concealer. I can't get the link to come up.

• hrp3ks
    17 years ago

I am a recent convert to mineral makeup. I LOVE it. I'll never go back to liquid, creme, or powder. I was completely unwaware there are so many manufacturers - I thought Bare Minerals was it. I have tried five different brands: Everyday Minerals, Aromaleigh, SunCat, Cory Cosmetics, and GeoGrafx (haven't actually received the GeoGrafx yet). All the companies give free or low-cost samples, so thers's no reason to shell out for BM when there are so many other choices. It is apparently very easy to make your own also, which I am going to try upon receipt of my kit from Monave. Anyway, if you want to try but don't want to shell out a lot, just google "mineral makeup" and you'll see hundreds of options - most offer samples of everything. Cory's are only $0.35 each! Everyday Minerals offers a totally free kit - you just pay for shipping. SunCat has a very generous sample kit (5 or 6 items) for $12.00, no shipping charge. Aromaleigh's vary depending on what the product is - I think all are $2.20 or less. The samples alone will last a while - you only need a very small amount of the powdered minerals to get good cover, and if a color is not quite right, you can mix many of them together to customize it yourself.

FWIW, I really like the Everyday Minerals (and way cheaper than BM!) and the Aromaleigh lines, although I think Cory Cosmetics has the color (Pale Beige) that is the most perfect match for me. I think Everyday is the best value around. Aromaleigh has a wonderful color selection. SunCat is gloriously silky on the skin. Another thing, you do need to get a good kabuki brush but you can find these on Ebay for much cheaper than most offered by the makeup companies, although Everyday Minerals has a very nice one for $9.00. For other brushers, go to an art supply store and buy artists' brushes. MUCH cheaper than buying "makeup" brushes either online or from the makeup co. (Pro makeup artists use real artists' brushes all the time.) Especially the Taklon concealer brushes, and smaller brushes for eyes or lips. An extra-large Round Mop (this is a standard brush size/name) is a great powder/finalizer brush, or for overall duster/color. A smaller Mop is great for blush. Sable artist brushes can be expensive but you don't need sable for most makeup anyway. I just got a nice supply from A.C. Moore for less than $20.00 - everything I could want except the kabuki, which I bought from Everyday Minerals and Ebay. Well I sound like an infomercial here!

• hrp3ks
    17 years ago

EDIT: in my above post I mentioned an Extra-Large Round Mop artist's brush. What I meant was the Extra-Extra-Large Round Mop. The XXL is bigger, obviously; I think it's better for finalizer or mineral veil and the Extra-Large is better for blush or contouring. Although both can probably work well for both uses.

• ladeemilylady
    17 years ago

I used Bare Minerals for a year and love Mineral Makeup. I will never go back to liquid. A short time ago I found this Direct Selling Co. that is selling Mineral Makeup in its purest form along with olive oil based bath and body products. They are running a special now where you get a starter kit for $25.00 and you can buy product for a year at 50% off with no minimum order amounts. Kind of like a Sams Club.The makeup is wonderful maybe even better than Bare Minerals.

• skypathway
    17 years ago

I recently bought l'Oreal's version and I love it. It came with a brush that appears to be of decent quality and is not shedding hair. I love the effect. I think I paid about 12$ for make-up with brush. I like the convenience of being able to buy it almost anywhere - from the grocery store to Target.

• hrp3ks
    17 years ago

L'Oreal's is pretty good but it's actually not mineral makeup foundation, at least not what all the MMU companies call "mineral makeup." Its ingredients are:
    Titanium dioxide
    Zinc oxide
    Talc
    Boron nitride
    Dimethicone
    Carnaba wax
    Cetyl dimethicone
    Trimethyloxysilicate
    Trisocetyl citrate
    Alde baradensis leaf juice
    Tocopheryroyl
    Panthenol

"True" mineral makeup usually only contains titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxide, and sometimes mica and some brands (Bare Minerals, for example) bismuth oxychloride. I did try L'Oreal's version and thought it was fine until I tried a real MMU. Huge difference. The convenience of L'Oreal is greater, for sure, but MMU foundation lasts so long that even when you're running low, it takes a LONG time to actually run out! All the samples I've gotten say "2-3 uses" - heck, people must be putting it on an inch thick if they can only get 2-3 uses out of it! Even Cory samples, which are the smallest, are PLENTY for at least a week if not longer. Blush lasts way longer than that. The amount used is really just a sprinkle.

If you're ambitious, get a kit and make your own. Monave sells a kit that makes five 10 gram pots (that's the normal size everyone sells) of foundation for only $30.00. They give you basic recipes and you can fool around to make your own perfect color. That is by far the cheapest way to get it. Monave suggests you get a gram scale to get precise measurements but if you're just making it for yourself, tiny measuring spoons would probably work just fine. If you do want a gram scale, Ebay has dozens for way cheap.

I swear, I do not work for a MMU co! I'm just a true convert. :-)

• skypathway
    17 years ago

hrp3ks thanks for the info. I'll keep using the l'Oreal version, but when I get a chance to stop into Ulta or Sephora I'll try the true mineral make-up to see what the difference is. It does have a nice, smooth natural finish - not shiny. I have dry skin and maybe the Dimethicone, Carnaba wax,Cetyl dimethicone etc. may help with to avoid MMU being too drying? I do apply sunscreen about 20 minutes before applying to give it a chance to absorb before applying foundation.

• xantippe
    17 years ago

Help! I just went to Sephora and had a consultation about Bare Minerals, and the end result just broke my heart. I felt like I looked freakishly shiny--it was way too sparkly for my taste. I almost looked greasy. Sooo... my question for all of you experts is, did she do it wrong? I really wanted to wear Bare Minerals for my wedding because you all made it sound so great! Some qualifying details that might help: I am 28, have somewhat oily skin (at least in patches), and don't usually wear makeup. I sure would appreciate your help!

• hrp3ks
    17 years ago

Xantippe - first, let me say that I have never used Bare Minerals. However, after trying MMU, I have read practically every Web site and message board about MMU, both Bare Minerals and all the other brands. What people say is that Bare Minerals definitely is shinier than other brands - I think it's the bismuth oxychloride in it - not sure. Brands with lots of mica, or shiny mica (there are different types of mica) will be shinier than others. I've read that it's necessary to use Mineral Veil when using BM because that's what cuts down on the high shine factor. From what I've read, most other brands are nowhere near as shiny as Bare Minerals. If your wedding isn't too far away, you might want to try a few companies and get their free or low-cost samples to see what brand works the best for you. Also many companies offer different formulas - maybe one is more shiny, another is totally matte. I suppose it's possible the Sephora did it wrong but they usually have a lot of practice so I would guess it was right, unless for some reason she did not use any Mineral Veil.

• kisses173
    17 years ago

I have been reading everyones opinions about the Bare Minerals product and I am going to order tonight :D I am so excited, and I will be ordering the 26 peice collection from the site, the largest one they have. I have a feeling I will be addicted like the rest of you. I will let yall know how well it works for me as soon as I try it. Thanks again for helping me decide what I was going to do. I was using a product called Sheer Cover, kinda like the bare minerals, but it made me break out and have a thick feeling. I read the ingredients and there is as much in the poweder as there is in a normal foundation you can buy from the stores, It made me break out everywere. I now know that you get knowhere by buying a "kock-off" brand. Cant wait to see my makeup show up in the mail! Talk to you all soon!!
    Christi

• rachellauren
    17 years ago

well, after hearing what everyone has to say, i finally ordered it. I can't wait for it to come, hope it works as good for me as it does for all of you

• rthummer
    17 years ago

In my humble opinion it is one of the best makeups around. One of my stylist introduced it to me. I have a salon and makeup is a must. I never knew she had such splotchy skin until I saw her one time without makeup. I had to ask what kind she used, it was Bare minerals. It is even good for 50+ skin. I know. Try buying some samples from e-bay then you won't invest a great amount until you find out it is the makeup for you. Good luck!!!!!!!

• organic_artemis
    17 years ago

I am 46 with outstanding skin that everyone finds amazing, including me. With this wondeful skin I have worn little make-up most of my life with cream foundations or blushes covering the apples of my cheeks when necessary---absolutely no powders unless I was being photographed. I HATE POWDERS! However, after viewing infocommercials for 8 years, I decided I would give Bare Minerals a shot. I was leery of the entire thought of anything that resembles a powder. I must confess this stuff is amazing! I do not have the sick powder look that emphasizes any possible flaw. I might add, in the last two years my freckles have deepened in color, which was my reason for always wearing cream foundation or blush over the apples. Amazing stuff for improving the appearance of even the best skin around. Try it, be patient, figure it out---you will look fabulous!!!

• organic_artemis
    17 years ago

I am 46 with outstanding skin that everyone finds amazing, including me. With this wondeful skin I have worn little make-up most of my life with cream foundations or blushes covering the apples of my cheeks when necessary---absolutely no powders unless I was being photographed. I HATE POWDERS! However, after viewing infocommercials for 8 years, I decided I would give Bare Minerals a shot. I was leery of the entire thought of anything that resembles a powder. I must confess this stuff is amazing! I do not have the sick powder look that emphasizes any possible flaw. I might add, in the last two years my freckles have deepened in color, which was my reason for always wearing cream foundation or blush over the apples. Amazing stuff for improving the appearance of even the best skin around. Try it, be patient, figure it out---you will look fabulous!!!

• ageybaby
    17 years ago

I was wondering does anyone know if they have a dark circle "concealer" product? I am 25 and have had dark circles my whole life and have not yet found a product that does not look like thick make-up that emphasizes every fine line. I just ordered my starter kit yesterday and can't wait to try it! Also, no stores near me, where is the best place to find the eyeshadows, ebay? thanks!

• proudmarinemom
    17 years ago

I have a question after reading all your positive comments on the Bare Minerals Line. I wanted to try the mineral makeup and because it was cheaper I ordered a brand called Sheer Cover, I thought I liked it but decided that the coverage just wasn't what I was looking for and other problems. Has anyone tried the Sheer Cover AND the Bare Minerals and how do they compare to each other?

• bethishavingfunnow
    17 years ago

I have enjoyed reading all of the posts on this subject but I am a little confused - can someone help me? Is BareMinerals the same as Escential Minerals? Is the ID or i.d. important in the name? I've looked on several websites and still can't figure it out. Help!

• Lindsey_CA
    17 years ago

Bare Escentuals is the company name, Bare Minerals is the product name.

• jon123
    16 years ago

First of all, I'm a 21 year old male. I discovered Bare Minerals when I was still in high school from my mother, who ordered it from QVC.

As I teenager, I had pretty bad acne, so I'd tried to cover it up with various supermarket brand liquid and powder foundations; however, my classmates could tell that I was obviously wearing makeup and made fun of me for it.

When I started using Bare Minerals, though, no one could tell that I was wearing make up. (At least, they never verbalized it). To this day, even though I've grown out of my acne phase, and, in my opinion, I have really good skin now, I still wear Bare Minerals because I figure it doesn't hurt to be even MORE perfect, and no one ever tells me, "You look like you're wearing makeup." Instead, people tell me, "You have amazing skin. I'm so jealous."

Anyway, that's my story. I hope it inspires others to use Bare Minerals too.

• shwetagarg
    16 years ago

wow this thread seems to be going on for ever now ...yet i have a few questions...i am yet to buy my first mineral makeup . What i want to know is...it is worth the money if it doesnt give the face a finished look...i mean if u cud still c the dark circles and blemishes..shud i still buy it..just coz it looks most natural than others ..
    I dont know y but i am still confused ...i need to buy a good foundation soon...
    plz help

• labmomma
    16 years ago

I found it a bit too much for me, but I don't like a heavily made up face either.

• rachelacey
    16 years ago

I think the deal with this kind of make-up is you really need to practice using it. It takes very, very little to cover and it's important to match your natural skin color. When I first tried it, I used too much and was using a shade too light. The results looked like I had too much makeup on. You need a light touch and the right shade, IMHO.

• shwetagarg
    16 years ago

Finally i have decided on ordering the samples of everyday minerals. But can anyone tell me if i want to order the full size makeup ..where can i get the discount coupons...coz at checkout they give u the options of using the discount codes.
    I hope i am ordering the right shades. Keeping my figures cross.

• hotnspicy_chikin
    16 years ago

I love it. I find that if you don't wear moisturizer underneath wrinkles and fine lines are very noticeable though so don't forget the moisturizer. Avon just started making a mineral foundation product, I can't wait to try it. I'm hoping it is as good as or better than bare minerals, it's a lot cheaper in price. I will find out soon because I just recently ordered the Avon brand.

• playsinthedirt20
    16 years ago

It seems that you either love or hate this product. I don't quite hate it, but I don't like it very much. I tried the Bare Minerals foundation a couple of years ago. I have combination skin with large pores on my nose. And I'm middle-aged. I found this product to be messy, hard to control, it doesn't give the coverage of a tradition foundation and it leaves a slight shimmer, which settles into fine lines and exaggerates the pores. Now I only use it in the inside corners of my eyes, and just under my lower lashes to keep my mascara from bleeding onto my face.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I tried Bare Minerals because I have rosacea and cannot use most makeups with a flare up. I works really well, does not irritate my skin, and looks great. It even does a really good job of evening out my skin (I feel like Rudolph sometimes!). However, I could not stand the mess it made on my sink any more. So I decided to try purminerals pressed mineral makeup. I am very happy with it. It is pressed not loose so it does not fly all over when I am applying it. It is also a bit more matte than Bare minerals. Since my skin is very oily, I appreciate a little less sparkle. I have been using it about 6 weeks now, so far so good. If it was going to cause my rosacea to flair up, it would have happened by now. It also matches my skin tone better. With the Bare Minerals, I always felt like one color was a bit dark, but the lighter color was a bit too light. Could just be because I don't like to wear makeup. I prefer to look like I don't have any makeup on. Oh yes, I always wear moisturizer under this too, I think all of the mineral powders must be a bit dry, I also tried a fancier brand before, But the colors were nowhere close to my skin tone, I either looked anemic, or sunburned!

• ulioona_aol_com
    12 years ago

...reading this I'm almost persuaded to dive into it...BUT still, i haven't heard from anyone with very dry skin (like me). I once had a girlfriend with very oily skin who used shiseido powder make up. On HER it looked great- she persuaded me to use it as well, she flattered me,I felt confident and happy with it- until one of my colleagues finally said "my god, that stuff you're putting on makes you 20 years OLDER!!! you look like you have wrinkles like an old maid".....the powder was doing the opposite of what I wanted. Got rid of a false friend for me, though...lol!! So- would I have the same effect with Bare Minerals, or would it be fantastic?

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor