Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skin lightening/whitening agents

Posted by jaime2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 13:01

I have done days of research about a cream that would get rid of my dark spots. I have traveled to many countries in Central America and have become darkened by the brutal sun. I don't have a problem with getting darker it is the unevenness of my skin tone that is the problem. I originally have caramel skin but because I have been exposed to the sun so much I have dark nearly black large spots on my forehead plus smaller ones on my cheeks from acne. I would also like to turn my knees and elbows the same color as the rest of my body. I have heard a lot about Makari products but am afraid that they don't work for the price, I was also considering Melasma. Please someone recommend something fast acting and works well for black skin. Also please tell me the difference between lightening and whitening creams? Also I have very sensitive skin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skin lightening/whitening agents

Well I think for your case you should get more water for your skin first, and let it recover by itself, without using any very effictive lightening or whitening creams.

o

So much sun is certainly not helping you at all. Those darker spots are probably early age spots at extreme. If you have sensitive skin sunscreen may also cause you problems. My sis claims just using aloe vera caused these type spots to lighten which I would try as well as sun screen all the time and stay out of the sun. An MD might recommend (sell you) an Obaji system to lighten your skin but this is a long process which anything else alsos will be. Nothing is going to be fast. Lemon juice is also mentioned as lightening skin. Doing a google search will result in many brand name creams that may or may not work. Ubiquinone 2+ is the highest lightener you can find without a Dr. prescription. Let us know if you find anything that works.

o

I have melasma, and my dermatologist prescribed Tri-luma cream applied 6 nights a week plus a glycolic acid pad on the 7th night. I've been doing this for 4 months and my dark brown splotches have lightened considerably. Also, you must use a sunscreen with an SPF of 25 or 30 that has zinc oxide. Plus avoid direct sunlight as much as possible on the effected areas. Of course, you'd need to see a dermatologist to get a proper diagnosis and treatment

o

I have problems with patches of darker skin from time to time. My dermatologist prescribed Triluma and it worked very well and faster than the 3-4 months other products require. It costs a lot for a tube (about $100) but I think will last me well over a year. I don't have to use it all of the time. Just when I notice the patches/spots. Then I use it at bedtime for several days or a week or so and they fade and I stop using it unti they reappear. It is one of the best investments I've made. I had the laser treatment for spots and it worked great and lasted for about 2 years or more but it's pretty expensive. The cream is good enough for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triluma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here