Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mascara

Posted by Wanda_Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 03 at 8:42

What is a really good mascara? I have very short, thin, eyelashes. I would like to find a nice mascara that don''t clump up. Does anyone have any good suggestions. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mascara

Estee Lauder makes some good ones. (Can't remember the names now, but I'm sure they could show you at the sales counter.)

o

I don't know if you want high end or drugstore mascara. I don't like to splurge on mascara and I've been happy with Avon Wash-Off Waterproof and CG Super Thick Lash. Other suggestions: Loreal Voluminous, Maybelline Volume Express, Olay Beauty Mascara (if you still can find this). Good luck.

o

Hi Wanda

Sunny is right, EL do make some great mascaras, my favourite is Illusionist, which is great for short, stubby lashes.

Lancome ones are brilliant too -- and they make a few different ones, depending on the look you're after.

Def. ask at the counters if you're not sure, the girls there will help and might even give u some freebies to try, lol!!

Ed xx

o

Thanks everyone, i think that i will go check out the EL and Lancome. I also , used to use avon, i know that they have some good ones, but don't have an avon lady right know. I just haven't been able to find a mascara lately that is really good

o

Before you go to Lancome counter, you can check out their website first. They list down their mascaras and what they're for, I think Magnificils is for thickening and lengthening.

o

You can order Avon products directly at their web site (avon.com).

o

Anyone tried Rimmel's Exaggerate? I got sucked in by the hype and bought some the other day (cheap!), but I'm not finished my other tube yet...itching to break it open, but I'm showing some restraint! LOL
Chan

o

My lashes are long enough, but thin--like my hair. I have never found a product that wouldn't clump those few hairs together. Anyone have any ideas?

o

I just caved and finally spent the $20 to buy the mascara everyone's been telling me is the best - Lancome Definicils.

FINALLY I have found my answer!! It is great and I recommend it.

o

Try Christian Dior mascara. I got it from Sephora.com for about $20. It doesn't clump at all, and if you hold the brush against your lashes for a few seconds it curls them.

o

I have been using Lancome for years but I have decided to stop. I hope no one will feel offended b/c as I say, I too have used it for YEARS! But here's the thing....it looks great and feels fine but it smells bad! Really. Even a new tube. I've bought 2 in a row (lost one)from the dept. store Lancome counter and noticed it both times. I've noticed it in the past but it just bugs me lately so I've gone to Estee Lauder and am happy with that and no smell. Has anyone else ever noticed this? A few friends have told me they have noticed this and that other manufacturers sales people have discussed it with them and don't know why.

o

I've been using the Definicils for years, too, and really like it. I've tried other brands and I always come back to Lancome. Never noticed anything "off" about the scent.

Lori

o

Just thought I'd "check back": I've been using the Rimmel Exaggerate for about a month now and I really like it. It defines nicely without being clumpy. It's also not overly thick, so it's easy to comb through (I like 'em darker, but natural looking--no tarrantula eyes here!). And it's cheap: I can get it for $3.98. Hope this helps!

o

Any mascara will get clumpy over time if you don't use it often enough to use it up relatively quickly. Every time you use it, you introduce dust and skin particles back into the bottle. So replace it periodically if it seems to be getting goopy.

I used to use an auburn mascara on my eyebrows, but I can't find it any more. Does anyone know where to find one?

o

If the mascara is clumpy, after pulling the wand out of the tube, squeeze the brush through your thumb and forefinger covered with tissue. I also wash my brushes with soap and water every month or so. Yes, it is important to not use the mascara more than 3 or 4 months due to bacteria.

o

Beatrice..
Someone suggested that I try eyebrow gel on my eyelashes...it worked quite well, and comes in several shades of auburn!!!

o

: ) l'oreal voluminous, and anything by lancome...but most important for me was investing in a good lash brush... my lashes are nice, but paler than my hair, and I swear thicker lashes clump up worse than thin ones, so the comb's been a saviour.

o

Too much buildup of mascara on the brush will cause clumping too, keep it clean with a tissue, removing the excess. I like L'Oreal and apply about 30 strokes (front and back of the lashes, not just from the front!), let it dry a bit while doing the other eye, then go back over it with just the tip of the brush. Go over each lash separately and use a lash brush/comb to get the clumps.

It takes me about 8 minutes to do my lashes, but by building them up a thin layer at a time then building the tips with the end of the brush makes people ask me if I wear false eyelashes, they are so long and full.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here