Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All time favorite scents, part two !

Posted by mitchdesj (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 25, 05 at 5:49

Part one was a lot of fun, learning and sharing about favorite scents.

Here's to another couple of years of more of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All time favorite scents, part two !

I wish I could wear scent Mitch. I am allergic. When I was very young I had Calandre by Paco Rabanne and I always thought that was MY scent. I happened upon it again at a boutique and gave it a sniff - boy did the memories come rushing back. I tried perfumed body lotions but they also make me sneeze, so I am out of luck.

o

OK, no one can laugh...I love the body spray by Calgon called Hawaiian Ginger. Also, my longtime favorite is a Victoria Secret body spray...Pear Glace. I have tried true perfumes and they just do not smell like "me". My DH says the same thing so I stick with what works. They aren't expensive either so that is always a plus!
:)

o

Gina, I so remember Calandre !! A coworker wore this at all times and I loved it.... I'm talking 70's !! Too bad you can't wear it anymore. I'll try it when I spot it in a store, it's a classic.

I like Pear Glace; a friend of mine always asks me to bring some back for her when I go to the states , it's very fresh smelling.

o

I love perfume and wear it everyday. I have 2 cabinets to hold them all.

o

Shaun, that's a lot of perfume !!!
Is there a favorite or 2 that you think you could live with only those ?

o

Mitchdesj, nope. I can't pick a favorite or 2. I've tried. I wear perfume according to my moods and/or outfits or the place I am going.

Here are my cabinets......

and the other side.......

o

That's an amazing perfume collection Shaun! That would be fun to choose something new everyday.

Big question: Where do you find these perfumes to try? I would realy like to smell some of the colognes mentioned in part one, but am limited to department stores, for the most part.

My favorite cologne is Diorissimo and I have to order that as it's not carried in the mall stores or the mall perfume shop. Which, I need to visit soon!

Anyway, I buy very little cologne as I have been either disappointed with the last couple purchases, or I just can't find something I like, which is long lasting, light florals.

I don't like it when I can recognize a cologne either, even if I do like it. I can always recognize Opium, Red, Georgio and a few other standbys.

o

bumblebeez there are online places where you can buy samples! They send you little vials of perfume.

This is one place you can get samples......

Here is a link that might be useful: samples

o

That's a very nice site Shaun. The samples are only 4.50 including shipping, for five, so that's a price I will try. Thanks!

o

wow what a gorgeous cabinet; perfume bottles are so interesting looking, I can't help but admire some of them when I walk through the cosmetic department......
shaun, do you try the new ones or do you ask for recommendations ? how did you pick all of them ?

o

I had fun today at the perfume counters in the department store. I brought my list culled from part 1 and smelled everything they carried. More than I would have thought!

Ultimately, I bought a bottle of Calvin Klein's Moment and got as many samples as I could.

I found two that I could love: Ralph Lauren's Romance and Jlo's Still. Although it would irk me to wear her perfume, it was very nice. No samples availale of Still but I did get a sample of Romance which I am now wearing.
Thanks everybody!

I did not get to smell about half listed so I need to go to a bigger department store.

o

It has been Chanel #5 for 20 years. Every man I've been with including my current husband of 12 years, knows me by this scent.

o

Shaun - those are just gorgeous cabinets! I would love to have built-ins in my bedroom to contain my "girlie stuff".

I went out scent sniffing today too and found one I think I really likt that I haen't heard mentioned.

Does anyone wear Organza Morning Light by Givenchy? I tried it and realy liked it. I also came home with a sample of Burberry for women and DH really liked that on me, but I'm not as sure.

This has been a really fun series of threads.

Thanks to all the contributors!

Alexa

o

Mitchdesj, Yes I try the new ones and I also belong to a couple of perfume chat clubs online and the girls are always talking about a perfume here and there. So if some perfume notes gets my attention, I'll run over to the store and try it or I'll order samples to try.

There is another place in New York (I'm in Florida so I use their site online) that sells awesome samples. Link below. VERY nice. Very affordable.

Caliloo, thanks, my husband made the cabinets for me and they are in my bedroom too! Everyone who comes over and sees them wants a set! haha!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Samples

o

I received a gift of Lauren's Style cologne and body lotion a few days ago; by george I like it, it's not as strong as other Lauren scents I tried....
it seems to suit me....

Reminds me of Anais Anais, the mix of floral and fruity notes....

I'm still not dropping my Spring Fever ( the bottle fits in my purse)
but it''s nice to change.....

o

Who makes Spring Fever. Another good one out by Calvin is Purple Orchid,, very subtle and light. Love it.

o

df, I'll take a sniff of that next time I'm in the stores.

Spring Fever is an Origins scent, their original one I think; they now have a few more but Spring Fever is still my favorite, a salesgirl told me it might not be around forever so I am constantly checking with the counters when I pass by, I'm addicted to it....

o

Thanks Mitch, I will try a sample when I am in Dillards again, I think I tried something with spring in the name,,spring rain maybe?? Didn't care for it.
Anyway I think it's time to go off cologne for awhile for me and just use body cream or perfumed body wash. I have been being knocked over by women who wear scents that are way too strong recently and I don't want to smell like that, so-- I will soften up. Those new fragrances like Blue are so light - could there be a trend?

o

Ombre Rose. hard to find and the powder creams are impossible.

o

dayenu, have you looked on the internet? I see it in a lot of online perfume stores.

www.fragrancenet.com
www.perfumemart.com

The link below has the BEST online prices I've seen. Check it out. I've ordered from them many times and its a very reputable place. No worries about fake perfume or being ripped off.

Here is a link that might be useful: ombre rose

o

Oh I love perfumes. I'm usually in the Roses Forum, and we had some recent discussions about beauty products & perfumes and it made me realize how much more I need to talk about them! And that's how I found this forum!

Shaun, I'm totally coveting your perfume cabinets!

Some of my favorites:

Fracas by Robert Piguet
Michael Kors
Carolina Herrera
Petite Cherie by Annick Goutal

o

Bellport, you have excellent taste in perfumes!

o

Thanks Shaun! which reminds me, I need to replenish my stock of Carolina ... and maybe get some new stuff too.

o

Is Ombre Rose still sold in stores? It's my favorite and I haven't worn it in a long time!

Jen

o

My all time favs?

Creed's Spring Flower (my grandmother wore it when I was little, and I am fortunate that it smells good on me as it brings back such great memories)
Joy
Chanel # 5

o

some others i like:

jil sander
l'instant, guerlain
les nuits d'hadrien, annick goutal

o

Jen, I'm not sure if Ombre Rose is sold in stores. I haven't looked for it. BUT if you go to this site and type in Ombre Rose, it will take you to the page where its sold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ombre Rose

o

Thanks Shaun!

o

I was just looking through a Vermont Country Store catalog, and they have Ombre Rose in Eau de Toilette. It's $58 for a 1.7 oz bottle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont County Store online

o

Hi Lindsey!!! :::waving madly:::

o

Hi, Shaunsey! I love your perfume cabinets. Your hubs is one talented guy!

So, while I'm here, I'll chime in with my favorite perfume -- L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain.

o

OOOOooooh Lindsey - that's a good one. Classy!

Thank you for the nice words on my cabinets! I love them too~

o

I used to love Coco de Chanel so much. It was my signature scent when I was in college. But eventually I grew out of it.

Then there was Dylis during my years living as an expat in Hongkong ... I swore I would wear it forever.

Grad school found me faling in love with Truest by Tiffany. I was going to school in the east and in the cold winter it just smelled perfect.

Unfortunately, when I move out to the west coast, it just seems so heavy in the hot CA sun. In fact, I haven't been able to fall in love with any scent since.. and I have tried many.

Oh..but the one scent I always love is actually Drakkar noir Gave it to my first boyfriend -- also the first heart I broke. When I was on my wild adventure in the far east, he always sent me these sweet letters soaked in Drakar. :-D Those letters found me in grad school, and then followed me out here in CA. It was even on his wedding card. Then he stopped. Every time I smelled it on any man, it always reminded me of him and those not so innocent nights. *wink*wink* ...

It would be tough to choose or to have just one all time favorite scent. Some scent that was so perfect for one time may not be so great for other. I am still looking...

o

Try Blue by Ralph Lauren, it's so nice. But I just can't bring myself to spend $65 on cologne! Cheap Cheap Cheap!!

o

Hey Dragonfly2.... good news. You don't have to spend that much to have Ralph Lauren Blue. You can buy a TESTER of it which only means no fancy box or cap... never used, brand new.... 2.5 oz spray for $34.78.

I hav bought from this company many times and they are super super!! It's real perfumes, not fakes or knock offs.

Here is the link. I hope you get some! I also love Blue myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ralph Lauran Blue

o

Thank you Shaun, great website, I will give them a try.

o

You're very welcome!

o
RE: ..All time favorite scents, part two !

Got my Blue from Scentiments thanks to Shaun... good deal.
Thanks again for the info. Shaun.

o

I've tried several different ones until I found Nokomis. Yes it is cheaper than what I've seen here but I looked and tried samples.

I can't bring myself to pay a lot.

My Dh wanted to buy "chanel", bucks for 'little' to get out of it, back in the '80s. Does it really make a diff to pay higher. ? (just curious)

o

Your welcome Dragonfly!

Garden Momma, it's all just a personal preference. If you like it and it's a drug store fragrance that doesnt cost a lot, go for it! There are no rules.

o

I adore perfumes -- and those cabinets are just gorgeous!!!!

Here's mine:

Winter:

Joy -- Sublime
Hermes -- Caleche
Hermes -- 24 Rue Faubourg

Summer:

Vera Wang
Oscar De La Renta -- De La Renta
Ellen Tracy -- Inspire

Year round:

Origins Ginger Souffle

And I am partial to Ralph Lauren's Safari -- both for me and the DH. I adore aftershave on men too -- actually turns me around -- and I'll ask guys what they are wearing!!

I am so very thankful that perfume can be bought at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls!!!

Many thanks for all the ideas!! :)

o

Definitely try Ralph Lauren Blue! I forgot if I posted that on the original thread...but anyway...my current rotation is Blue and the aforementioned Heart. Blue is just fabulous - I get compliments all the time.

o

After reading the article linked below I have decided to wear Avon's "Sunny Sky" more often, since it has definite grapefruit overtones:

Here is a link that might be useful: The effect on men of the smell of grapefruit

o

I stopped wearing scents for a while, except for the occasional essential oil. Then I discovered Trish McEvoy #9 ... a light blackberry/vanilla musk/white rose mix. It's perfect for summer!

o

teacats, Origins just introduced another product in the Ginger line, a citrussy ginger, can't remember the exact name; I tried it the other night. It's less musky than the original Ginger ( which I love
also) .

I'm still using Spring Fever ; the bottle is slim and medium sized and I carry it in my purse, the Ginger scents come in a too large bottle to carry.

Purse size versions are too costly to use, imo; you get 25% of the product for 60% of the price.... I respritz my spring fever all day, it's a light scent and I've been using it for so long I can't smell it on me anymore although I do get compliments on it so other people smell it.

o

I'm still a die-hard samsara fan

o

I rarely ever change perfumes. I wore Channel No. 5 for years with lots of compliments, but over time, my body chemistry changed. When I no longer received compliments, I stopped wearing it. It was years before I found something else that got that kind of attention, but I finally did and now, that is all I wear. It's called Touch and is by Fred Hayman. It's not all that easy to find so I usually order it on-line. I only apply it in the morning before work, but not a week goes by that someone doesn't tell me how good I smell. I like that.

o

I could not resist adding this bottle to my existant collection of Annick Goutal bottles, except for last year's orange bottle of Les Nuits d'Hadryen, all her scents come in the same style bottle but clear glass.... the spray part is screwed, not clamped, so you can reuse the bottles...
The new scent, Mandragore, is spicy and musky and I love it. It does not have much staying power so unless I would layer it with the body cream, which is not available yet, I'll be going through that bottle in a month. This was my splurge of the month, had to have it.

o

Beautiful Bottle!!

o

In the winter, my favorites are Cristobal by Balenciaga and Opium Eau Fraiche (the lighter version, as the regular one is too strong on me). In the summertime, it is a tie between my beloved (but discontinued, luckily I stockpiled it before then) Sexy Graffiti by Escada, and Ginger Grapefruit by Izzy Sayan. The scent I wear year round, though, is Amazing Grace by Philosophy. That has become my signature scent.

o

lilaclily, you have a few new ones I've never sniffed; Ginger Grapefruit seems like something I'd like; I also did not know Opium had a lighter version, I'd like to try that one.
My signature scent is still Spring Fever but I am always on the lookout for another favorite.

o

Estee by Estee Lauder, don't know if they still even make it. Laura Ashley No. 1. When I was in my twenties (about a million years ago) I liked Charlie.

o

I have to say that a few months into wearing Mandragore, it won't become a must have for me, I like it but don't love it.... I'm spritzing it on just to wear it out........

o

I love Estee Lauder's Aliage (don't know if that's the right spelling, but it is close). I've been wearing this for years. Smells so good, especially in the cold weather!

o

Wow, take a look at this perfume collection!! Click on MY COLLECTION to the left side.

Here is a link that might be useful: perfume collection

o

I'm sorry to burst in, (I'm kinda new), but I have given up wearing perfumes and I love to just pamper myself with Bath and Body Works lotions and sprays. I love the clean and comforting scents that they have and if you use both (the lotion and the spray)they leave a scent that lasts all day and isn't too strong.

o

My favorites: Casual by Paul Sebastian that I wear everyday, and Red and Oscar de la Renta for going out in the evening.

o

I love Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka I also love cotton candy body spray, it smells so good and I love to put it on before I work out because there is something about body sprays that when you sweat it comes out and you can smell it. I one time wore the body spray cotton candy to a graduation and there was a little girl sitting behind me and she was saying mom cant you smell it can I please get some cotton candy. I had to turn around and tell her mom it was my perfume. I bought Demeter perfume cotton candy so I will have to see how I like it. You should check out all the perfumes they make. Popcorn,dirt, sex on the beach, almost anything its crazy.

o

shaun, I bumped this up to look at your wonderful cabinet again; do you purge out and replace some older ones from time to time ??

o

Oh I use some up and either replace it with the same one or buy a different one.

I just got a new (to me) perfume. It's by Dolce & Gabanna, called The One. Wow is this pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here