SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitchdesj2

All time favorite scents, part two !

mitchdesj
19 years ago

Part one was a lot of fun, learning and sharing about favorite scents.

Here's to another couple of years of more of it.

Comments (60)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

I had fun today at the perfume counters in the department store. I brought my list culled from part 1 and smelled everything they carried. More than I would have thought!

Ultimately, I bought a bottle of Calvin Klein's Moment and got as many samples as I could.

I found two that I could love: Ralph Lauren's Romance and Jlo's Still. Although it would irk me to wear her perfume, it was very nice. No samples availale of Still but I did get a sample of Romance which I am now wearing.
    Thanks everybody!

I did not get to smell about half listed so I need to go to a bigger department store.

• mary11
    19 years ago

It has been Chanel #5 for 20 years. Every man I've been with including my current husband of 12 years, knows me by this scent.

• Related Discussions

All Time Favorite Plants for Watergardening

Q

Comments (6)
    Well, I'm assuming you mean other than water lily. I like my pond and stream to look natural. My favorite plant is veriegated sweet flag. It needs to be at least slightly damp but will do fine submerged. Even a small clump can be divided and you will then have a lifetime supply. I use it at the edge of the pond and stream and right now in the filter although that reminds me to replace some of it with some color like impatiens which are also a fav of mine. If you don't have some shade, impatiens wouldn't work for you. Here is a link that might be useful: sweet flag
    ...See More

favorite scents part 3

Q

Comments (12)
    I LOVE the lemony scents but they do not last on me. I think I tried maybe Dolce and Gabbana Blue or something like that. Loved it, but it simply didn't last. I love rose scents and they don't last either. For example I like Stella McCartney's rose scent, but it just doesn't last. I cannot find any scents I like. I like citrus and light floral--muget is my favorite. I used to like the smell of old, old, old Clairol Herbal Essence. (we're talking early 80's, not the carp they sell now). Everything out there nowdays is either vanilla, baby powder, musk or melon fruity, none of which I like in the least.
    ...See More

My all time favorite waitress...

Q

Comments (6)
    I remember how Viet Nam Vets were treated back then. I never understood it particularly since it wasn't even an all volunteer army. Most of the young men didn't ask to go and even if they did, there was no justification for spitting on a soldier. I was appalled. Thank you for your service to our country. I'm so glad that Viet Nam Vets are finally getting recognized and treated as they should be. I love Flo. Thanks for the story.
    ...See More

What is your favorite song of all time

Q

Comments (53)
    Way way too many to list, or even to bring to mind! My top one is probably Canon in D - My heart turns over when I listen to that song. Second, maybe River Dance. I love so many that are already listed in this thread. Someone mentioned Oh Danny Boy and in that same category is Loch Lomand, two ancient songs that I've sung thousands of times. Used to sing them to my kids when they were babies and still sing them to myself from time to time. I have some favorite hymns... Amazing Grace and This is my Father's World are a couple. Unchained Melody - Wonderful song mentioned above. Many others. I love country western and old time rock. My list would be dozens if not hundreds!
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    19 years ago

Shaun - those are just gorgeous cabinets! I would love to have built-ins in my bedroom to contain my "girlie stuff".

I went out scent sniffing today too and found one I think I really likt that I haen't heard mentioned.

Does anyone wear Organza Morning Light by Givenchy? I tried it and realy liked it. I also came home with a sample of Burberry for women and DH really liked that on me, but I'm not as sure.

This has been a really fun series of threads.

Thanks to all the contributors!

Alexa

• shaun
    19 years ago

Mitchdesj, Yes I try the new ones and I also belong to a couple of perfume chat clubs online and the girls are always talking about a perfume here and there. So if some perfume notes gets my attention, I'll run over to the store and try it or I'll order samples to try.

There is another place in New York (I'm in Florida so I use their site online) that sells awesome samples. Link below. VERY nice. Very affordable.

Caliloo, thanks, my husband made the cabinets for me and they are in my bedroom too! Everyone who comes over and sees them wants a set! haha!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Samples

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I received a gift of Lauren's Style cologne and body lotion a few days ago; by george I like it, it's not as strong as other Lauren scents I tried....
    it seems to suit me....

Reminds me of Anais Anais, the mix of floral and fruity notes....

I'm still not dropping my Spring Fever ( the bottle fits in my purse)
    but it''s nice to change.....

• dragonfly2
    19 years ago

Who makes Spring Fever. Another good one out by Calvin is Purple Orchid,, very subtle and light. Love it.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

df, I'll take a sniff of that next time I'm in the stores.

Spring Fever is an Origins scent, their original one I think; they now have a few more but Spring Fever is still my favorite, a salesgirl told me it might not be around forever so I am constantly checking with the counters when I pass by, I'm addicted to it....

• dragonfly2
    19 years ago

Thanks Mitch, I will try a sample when I am in Dillards again, I think I tried something with spring in the name,,spring rain maybe?? Didn't care for it.
    Anyway I think it's time to go off cologne for awhile for me and just use body cream or perfumed body wash. I have been being knocked over by women who wear scents that are way too strong recently and I don't want to smell like that, so-- I will soften up. Those new fragrances like Blue are so light - could there be a trend?

• dayenu
    19 years ago

Ombre Rose. hard to find and the powder creams are impossible.

• shaun
    19 years ago

dayenu, have you looked on the internet? I see it in a lot of online perfume stores.

www.fragrancenet.com
    www.perfumemart.com

The link below has the BEST online prices I've seen. Check it out. I've ordered from them many times and its a very reputable place. No worries about fake perfume or being ripped off.

Here is a link that might be useful: ombre rose

• Bellport
    19 years ago

Oh I love perfumes. I'm usually in the Roses Forum, and we had some recent discussions about beauty products & perfumes and it made me realize how much more I need to talk about them! And that's how I found this forum!

Shaun, I'm totally coveting your perfume cabinets!

Some of my favorites:

Fracas by Robert Piguet
    Michael Kors
    Carolina Herrera
    Petite Cherie by Annick Goutal

• shaun
    19 years ago

Bellport, you have excellent taste in perfumes!

• Bellport
    19 years ago

Thanks Shaun! which reminds me, I need to replenish my stock of Carolina ... and maybe get some new stuff too.

• jenn
    19 years ago

Is Ombre Rose still sold in stores? It's my favorite and I haven't worn it in a long time!

Jen

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

My all time favs?

Creed's Spring Flower (my grandmother wore it when I was little, and I am fortunate that it smells good on me as it brings back such great memories)
    Joy
    Chanel # 5

• Bellport
    19 years ago

some others i like:

jil sander
    l'instant, guerlain
    les nuits d'hadrien, annick goutal

• shaun
    19 years ago

Jen, I'm not sure if Ombre Rose is sold in stores. I haven't looked for it. BUT if you go to this site and type in Ombre Rose, it will take you to the page where its sold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ombre Rose

• jenn
    19 years ago

Thanks Shaun!

• Lindsey_CA
    19 years ago

I was just looking through a Vermont Country Store catalog, and they have Ombre Rose in Eau de Toilette. It's $58 for a 1.7 oz bottle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont County Store online

• shaun
    19 years ago

Hi Lindsey!!! :::waving madly:::

• Lindsey_CA
    19 years ago

Hi, Shaunsey! I love your perfume cabinets. Your hubs is one talented guy!

So, while I'm here, I'll chime in with my favorite perfume -- L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain.

• shaun
    19 years ago

OOOOooooh Lindsey - that's a good one. Classy!

Thank you for the nice words on my cabinets! I love them too~

• Katherine_CA
    19 years ago

I used to love Coco de Chanel so much. It was my signature scent when I was in college. But eventually I grew out of it.

Then there was Dylis during my years living as an expat in Hongkong ... I swore I would wear it forever.

Grad school found me faling in love with Truest by Tiffany. I was going to school in the east and in the cold winter it just smelled perfect.

Unfortunately, when I move out to the west coast, it just seems so heavy in the hot CA sun. In fact, I haven't been able to fall in love with any scent since.. and I have tried many.

Oh..but the one scent I always love is actually Drakkar noir Gave it to my first boyfriend -- also the first heart I broke. When I was on my wild adventure in the far east, he always sent me these sweet letters soaked in Drakar. :-D Those letters found me in grad school, and then followed me out here in CA. It was even on his wedding card. Then he stopped. Every time I smelled it on any man, it always reminded me of him and those not so innocent nights. *wink*wink* ...

It would be tough to choose or to have just one all time favorite scent. Some scent that was so perfect for one time may not be so great for other. I am still looking...

• dragonfly2
    19 years ago

Try Blue by Ralph Lauren, it's so nice. But I just can't bring myself to spend $65 on cologne! Cheap Cheap Cheap!!

• shaun
    19 years ago

Hey Dragonfly2.... good news. You don't have to spend that much to have Ralph Lauren Blue. You can buy a TESTER of it which only means no fancy box or cap... never used, brand new.... 2.5 oz spray for $34.78.

I hav bought from this company many times and they are super super!! It's real perfumes, not fakes or knock offs.

Here is the link. I hope you get some! I also love Blue myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ralph Lauran Blue

• dragonfly2
    19 years ago

Thank you Shaun, great website, I will give them a try.

• shaun
    19 years ago

You're very welcome!

• dragonfly2
    18 years ago

Got my Blue from Scentiments thanks to Shaun... good deal.
    Thanks again for the info. Shaun.

• Garden_Momma
    18 years ago

I've tried several different ones until I found Nokomis. Yes it is cheaper than what I've seen here but I looked and tried samples.

I can't bring myself to pay a lot.

My Dh wanted to buy "chanel", bucks for 'little' to get out of it, back in the '80s. Does it really make a diff to pay higher. ? (just curious)

• shaun
    18 years ago

Your welcome Dragonfly!

Garden Momma, it's all just a personal preference. If you like it and it's a drug store fragrance that doesnt cost a lot, go for it! There are no rules.

• teacats
    18 years ago

I adore perfumes -- and those cabinets are just gorgeous!!!!

Here's mine:

Winter:

Joy -- Sublime
    Hermes -- Caleche
    Hermes -- 24 Rue Faubourg

Summer:

Vera Wang
    Oscar De La Renta -- De La Renta
    Ellen Tracy -- Inspire

Year round:

Origins Ginger Souffle

And I am partial to Ralph Lauren's Safari -- both for me and the DH. I adore aftershave on men too -- actually turns me around -- and I'll ask guys what they are wearing!!

I am so very thankful that perfume can be bought at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls!!!

Many thanks for all the ideas!! :)

• weed30 St. Louis
    18 years ago

Definitely try Ralph Lauren Blue! I forgot if I posted that on the original thread...but anyway...my current rotation is Blue and the aforementioned Heart. Blue is just fabulous - I get compliments all the time.

• petaloid
    18 years ago

After reading the article linked below I have decided to wear Avon's "Sunny Sky" more often, since it has definite grapefruit overtones:

Here is a link that might be useful: The effect on men of the smell of grapefruit

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I stopped wearing scents for a while, except for the occasional essential oil. Then I discovered Trish McEvoy #9 ... a light blackberry/vanilla musk/white rose mix. It's perfect for summer!

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

teacats, Origins just introduced another product in the Ginger line, a citrussy ginger, can't remember the exact name; I tried it the other night. It's less musky than the original Ginger ( which I love
    also) .

I'm still using Spring Fever ; the bottle is slim and medium sized and I carry it in my purse, the Ginger scents come in a too large bottle to carry.

Purse size versions are too costly to use, imo; you get 25% of the product for 60% of the price.... I respritz my spring fever all day, it's a light scent and I've been using it for so long I can't smell it on me anymore although I do get compliments on it so other people smell it.

• cindyandmocha
    18 years ago

I'm still a die-hard samsara fan

• pauline13
    18 years ago

I rarely ever change perfumes. I wore Channel No. 5 for years with lots of compliments, but over time, my body chemistry changed. When I no longer received compliments, I stopped wearing it. It was years before I found something else that got that kind of attention, but I finally did and now, that is all I wear. It's called Touch and is by Fred Hayman. It's not all that easy to find so I usually order it on-line. I only apply it in the morning before work, but not a week goes by that someone doesn't tell me how good I smell. I like that.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I could not resist adding this bottle to my existant collection of Annick Goutal bottles, except for last year's orange bottle of Les Nuits d'Hadryen, all her scents come in the same style bottle but clear glass.... the spray part is screwed, not clamped, so you can reuse the bottles...
    The new scent, Mandragore, is spicy and musky and I love it. It does not have much staying power so unless I would layer it with the body cream, which is not available yet, I'll be going through that bottle in a month. This was my splurge of the month, had to have it.

• shaun
    18 years ago

Beautiful Bottle!!

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

In the winter, my favorites are Cristobal by Balenciaga and Opium Eau Fraiche (the lighter version, as the regular one is too strong on me). In the summertime, it is a tie between my beloved (but discontinued, luckily I stockpiled it before then) Sexy Graffiti by Escada, and Ginger Grapefruit by Izzy Sayan. The scent I wear year round, though, is Amazing Grace by Philosophy. That has become my signature scent.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lilaclily, you have a few new ones I've never sniffed; Ginger Grapefruit seems like something I'd like; I also did not know Opium had a lighter version, I'd like to try that one.
    My signature scent is still Spring Fever but I am always on the lookout for another favorite.

• jannie
    18 years ago

Estee by Estee Lauder, don't know if they still even make it. Laura Ashley No. 1. When I was in my twenties (about a million years ago) I liked Charlie.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have to say that a few months into wearing Mandragore, it won't become a must have for me, I like it but don't love it.... I'm spritzing it on just to wear it out........

• Rudebekia
    18 years ago

I love Estee Lauder's Aliage (don't know if that's the right spelling, but it is close). I've been wearing this for years. Smells so good, especially in the cold weather!

• shaun
    18 years ago

Wow, take a look at this perfume collection!! Click on MY COLLECTION to the left side.

Here is a link that might be useful: perfume collection

• nicki_in_niles
    18 years ago

I'm sorry to burst in, (I'm kinda new), but I have given up wearing perfumes and I love to just pamper myself with Bath and Body Works lotions and sprays. I love the clean and comforting scents that they have and if you use both (the lotion and the spray)they leave a scent that lasts all day and isn't too strong.

• eloise_ca
    18 years ago

My favorites: Casual by Paul Sebastian that I wear everyday, and Red and Oscar de la Renta for going out in the evening.

• awbrey
    18 years ago

I love Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka I also love cotton candy body spray, it smells so good and I love to put it on before I work out because there is something about body sprays that when you sweat it comes out and you can smell it. I one time wore the body spray cotton candy to a graduation and there was a little girl sitting behind me and she was saying mom cant you smell it can I please get some cotton candy. I had to turn around and tell her mom it was my perfume. I bought Demeter perfume cotton candy so I will have to see how I like it. You should check out all the perfumes they make. Popcorn,dirt, sex on the beach, almost anything its crazy.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

shaun, I bumped this up to look at your wonderful cabinet again; do you purge out and replace some older ones from time to time ??

• shaun
    15 years ago

Oh I use some up and either replace it with the same one or buy a different one.

I just got a new (to me) perfume. It's by Dolce & Gabanna, called The One. Wow is this pretty!

Sponsored