SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Campsite cooking

rustyj14
19 years ago

One Thanksgiving weekend, my cousins and my family decided to go camping for the weekend. Both families had campers/ trailers, so we didn't have to rough it!

My cousin's husband was very proficient at out door rough cooking. He brought along a box-like reflector "oven" which he set up beside the open fire. he had a drip pan under the turkey, which was on a "spit". With a good fire going, it didn't take long to get that bird done to a turn! Other campers there asked what we were cooking, and when we told them "Turkey", their hot dogs and hamburgers lost their appeal!

We enjoyed a real feast that day!

Another time we went camping on a nice fall weekend, with the same cousins. Others were supposed to come, but the really cold weather kept them at home! (Only the "nuts" were there!)

On Saturday, we walked around the camp. We found an apple tree, with fruit laying around, just ripe enough (not rotten, or deer bit) to make pies!

So, we gathered the required amount of apples, and the ladies got to work! After they got the dough made, they found they didn't have a rolling pin, so we had to improvise with a whiskey bottle. That worked good, but when it came time to "season" the pie, nobody had any cinnamon! What to do? We went down to the owners house, but she had none either! We were the only campers in the place. So, the cooks decided a dash of Bourbon might help the taste, so thats what they put in the pie!

MMMMMHHHH!! Let me tell you--that pie didn't last long!!!

Now, we go to the cousins farm about 3-4 times in the summer. We still cook over the open fire, drink a little beer, talk about old times, and have a fine time relaxing around the fire! And EAT! Nobody has forgotten how to cook! We came from a German family that knew all the secrets of making food taste good, and, after they got my wife clued in, she got good at it, too! Aww, she took cooking classes at her high school, but they were city folk! And, English! If she hadn't known how to cook, i would have been "down the road" long ago!

by: Rustyj.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County