Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
type of grill to use or not use!

Posted by rustyj14 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 04 at 12:13

I'd like to post a warning to some of the newer campers, about what to use over the fire, when cooking!
In one of the posts, i read where the person was going to use the grille out of an old refrigerator!
Unless you can verify what that grill is coated with, i'd say don't use it!
Some of the older grilles are coated with a galvanised material, which will leach out dangerous stuff into your cooking!
Also, when attending an outdoor pig, chicken, cow, deer roast, or any place where the people are cooking meat or any other stuff over an open fire, make sure they aren't using galvanized chicken wire! They should be using stainless wire to hold the meat on the spit! Galvanised material will do serious things to yer insides!
Best bet is to go to the local store that sells everything, and buy a new steel grille that is the type used in gas grills! They don't cost much and are much safer for cooking! Or, watch fer yer neighbor throwing out his old propane gas grill, and snatch the top grille out of it! Or make one to the size you need,get some steel rod, and weld it together to make a grille.
by: Rustyj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: type of grill to use or not use!

Many grills are coated with galvanized metal....
The problem is not the zinc leaching into your food but perhaps vaporizing into the air....
They are still being sold....so I guess the jury is still out.
Linda C

o

Old refrigerator grills often contained, IIRC, cadmium as part of the plating metal. Not a problem in a fridge, but if you heat it up, it starts to liberate. Cadmium is not good for the soul.

Grills sold specifically for campfire cooking don't have this problem.

o

I owned a welding shop so I had to know quite a bit about this. It's the vapors from galvanized metal that is toxic. Although galvanized is not the best thing to use, food-grade stainless is, sitting on galvanized won't hurt you. Only when the heat is so high the it vaporizes, as in welding, would it be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here