SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joecrabb

Any info on the 'Perfect Flame' grill from Lowes?

joecrabb
18 years ago

I was looking at the grills at Lowes today and they are offering one by "Perfect Flame". It has 4 burners plus a rotisserie burner and a side burner. The unique thing about it is that it has a split lid forming two distinct cooking areas. They are offering it for $569. I have never heard of this manufacturer but the grill seems nice (wide cast iron grates, infrared rotisserie burner) and the price is nice. Does anyone have any info on this model, good or bad?

Comments (109)

• kcinsc
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Help please, I bought the 3 burner model of Perfect Flame and even on the low setting, everything burns. The grills are too close to the heat shield. I replaced a lesser model with this stainless steel model. The old grill did a better job. What can I do? I have tried indirect grilling with mixed results. Any suggestions?

• whitleyk4_aol_com
    16 years ago

Hello, we just purchased a condo that does not allow gas grills. Lowes has an electric outdoor grill for $199.00. Looks good but wonder if anyone has this grill and how well it works. The grill is by Perfect Flame and most of the reports here are on the gas grills. Thanks for any response.

• Related Discussions

perfect flame grills

Q

Comments (8)
    I own a Perfect Flame 4-burner LP Gas Grill model number GAC3615, and have had it for 4 months. Tonight, I lit the BBQ to preheat my grill to 350 degrees. I placed 1 large rack of ribs and 1 small rack of ribs on the grill and turned the heat to its lowest setting on 2 of the 4 burners. In approximately 7 minutes, I got up to baste the ribs and the grill was engulfed in flames. A hole 10 inches in diameter had burned through the hood of the grill. The back portion of the metal hood turned a glowing red and began to melt, dripping molten metal onto the wheel of the grill which also melted. As the metal was burning and melting, it turned white and sparkled like a fourth of July fireworks sparkler. As the rear of the hood continued to burn, I went inside and got a fire extinguisher to put out the 3 foot tall flames. Since the gas was still on, the fire extinguisher had no effect on the flames, but it did work to put out the flaming wheel and the grass that had caught fire. I called the fire department since the metal was melting and dripping near the nearly full propane tank. Just as the fire department arrives, my husband was able to turn off the gas and the fire department was able to extinguish the flames. With three firemen, and multiple years of experience between them, they remarked that they had never seen a grill catch on fire like that. They were also surprised at the awful smell that had come from the grill and advised us to stay out of the yard and away from the grill to avoid breathing in whatever chemicals were released from the fire.
    ...See More

Perfect Flame BBQ Grill

Q

Comments (47)
    After less than a year in service, all of our Perfect Flame's burners are cracked, one so badly that there is absolutely NO way to adjust the heat. Everything is torched. And, like others, DH can't even get the bolts off to replace them IF he could get replacements. Of course, as everyone has already found out, Lowe's does not offer any help. They carry a couple fo peripherals for the Perfect Flame, but not parts like burners. They tell you to go to the manufacturer. And guess what? The manufacturer told us to go to Lowe's. RUNAROUND! The gentleman at Lowe's was so solicitous and said that he would call the manufacturer for us and get back to us in a couple of days. It's been 2 weeks and no call yet. Don't think there will be, do you? Bottom line (for us, anyway) is that we will never again purchase a "store" brand. It will definitely cost us more, but we will buy only a name brand like Weber, CharBroil, etc. Something at least that we know we will be able to purchase parts for.
    ...See More

Gas Grill- Lowe's JennAir JUNK!

Q

Comments (22)
    I bought the Jenn Air 720-0061 LP from Lowes at least 12 or 13 years ago -- must have been around 2005(?) -- I remember that Lowes had a great promotion going on at the time. Anyway - I'm surprised to see the negative experiences reported here (not disputing them at all, just surprised). My own experience has been the opposite. I've had the grill outside in my backyard, and only bothered with the grill cover for part of the first winter. So this grill has lived outside in central NJ for about 13 years. It was excellent for the first few years, after which I noted that the max heat I could obtain seemed to be dropping a bit year by year. This grill actually became something of an fan item on BBQSOURCE-FORUMS.com 13 years ago: you can find threads I participated in back then under the username "Jon". In discussions with others that I "met" on the forum, I learned about proper care of the grill, and a few of us actually got into "modding" the grill as well. The grill itself was made by NexGrill. Maytag owns the Jenn-Air trademark, and licensed it for use with Lowes to promote this product line. (how's THAT for confused branding???). Many many stainless steel grills in the US are actually made by NexGrill or another one of a tiny handful of factories in China that specialize in these. Apparently, the company in the US that sources these from the Chinese factories can spec out the grade of parts used to manufacture their branded product. A lot of the "stainless steel" in products sold here are pretty low grade stainless. For whatever reason, though, it turns out that the Jenn-Air 720-0061 LP from Lowes was built with all high-grade stainless -- and there are no enameled parts. This grill, sitting outside in my yard for 13 years, uncovered, used hundreds of times, has zero rust on it -- none at all. Once I decided that it was worth trying to improve on the cooking temps I was getting with the several-year-old grill, I started by partially dismantling it, removing the stainless steel grids, the "flame tamers" (the deflectors that sit on top of the burners, but under the cooking grids), and the burners themselves -- which are made, btw, out of cast stainless steel. I found that the cooking grids are discolored, but show NO pitting, rust, etc. These are virtually like new with some scrubbing. I cleaned out the Venturi tubes that combine are and gas on its way to the burners: spiders tend to build webs in these, blocking air flow. Once I pulled out the 3 burners, I upended them and tapped them on a large rock: years worth of corroded metal powder came out -- this is natural build up over a period of years, and had also apparently been blocking air/gas flow. The flame tamers (thin steel sheet metal) are definitely corroded -- but usable for now (however, I address this further down in this note). Finally - I decided to try improving further on the max heat situation (you'll see this discussed on the BBQSOURCE-FORUMS in my thread(s) and others). Anyone who knows gas burners already knows this, but I learned that the maximum gas flow is limited by a tiny brass valve orifice: this is a small brass cylinder with a tiny hole in the middle, threaded to fit into the gas line. When you turn the knob on your grill (not the propane tank), the gas flows from the valve and then through the orifice before it can get to the burners. Turns out that if you're a bit handy, increasing the diameter of the orifice every so slightly (we're talking hundredths of an inch increase), enough extra gas flows to yield a significantly hotter flame. I searched the web and found that among all the replacement parts available for this grill, I was able to order 3 brand new brass orifices -- undrilled -- for about $2.50 each (these things are tiny -- about the size of a Tic-Tac). I drilled them out with a hand held drill to a slightly larger opening than the original and then put them and all the other parts back together. All in all, I spend about $7.50 on parts, and put in perhaps 3 hours of labor. In return, I had the original grill -- now several years old -- working better than new, achieving surface temperature of about 650 degrees F. Still all working just fine. I just did another search (Nov 2018) by grill model number, and found that I can STILL get replacement parts for the cooking grid (stainless steel or cast iron -- I prefer steel, but don't need to replace these at all yet), the flame tamers ($60 will get me three of these in stainless steel), and the burners themselves: about $75 each for an exact replacement of the original cast stainless steel items. If the igniters stop working, they can get replaced for $15 to $30 dollars. In essence, my 13 year old grill is still working well, and for perhaps $300 I can replace the burners and flame tamers - which are the ONLY parts showing signs of aging - and make this like new once again. A comparable grill, out of the same quality stainless, would cost far more than that. Admittedly, I'm handy, and like to fix things when I can rather than just trashing and replacing them. This may seem like a bit of a stretch to some readers, but nothing I did was especially difficult, and really wasn't very time consuming at all. Sure - a shiny new grill is always nice, but this one still looks excellent, and works just about like new, after 13 years, with only a small amount of maintenance effort needed. I might replace it -- but I'm wondering how much I'll have to spend to get something that works at least this well, and will last as long as this one has. - Jon
    ...See More

Memphis wood fire grills, the perfect grill or fiction?

Q

Comments (6)
    >>"Their YouTube videos are great" You're kidding, right? They struck me as rather stilted and amateurish infomercial fare. I think they could use Vince the Sham-Wow guy to spice them up. Billy Mays is rolling over ... Do you want to replace your home grill with one of these things? One would probably be pretty cool so long as you have electrical power available outside where you grill. Being able to set the thermostat and walk away for 5 hours while your ribs cook at 190º is pretty awesome, but having to keep bags of wood pellets around is not. I am not sure that there is enough advantage to that to induce me to give up on my gas grill. Plus, I am not a fan of overly smoked meats; there is enough flavor in the smoking a haunch gets over the course of a few hours in the grill to suit me. What I wonder is what is the quality control of wood pellet ingredients? Aren't they designed for use as heating fuel? Do they use bizarre chemicals in the manufacturing process that could get into the food? Selenium Burgers!
    ...See More
  • ortegah_comcast_net
    16 years ago

I have the 4 burner two lid grill by Perfect Flame. Yesterday I was grilling burgers and I came out to flip them. I touched the front panel and my fingers literally stuck to the panel burning the skin off of my fingertips! Beware! The grill is barely 8 months old! And the igniter stopped working after about a month. I'm going to Lowes tonight to show them my fingers and find out what they plan on doing about it.

• jordanfamily
    16 years ago

I recently purchased (as seen on receipt):

271575 E3520-LPG
    Stainless Split-Lid LP GA
    598.00 Discounted -119.60
    Total: 478.40

I cannot find any information on this after surfing a bit and would like some opinions on it. So far its working fine, however it has an electric ignitor and when the far left burner is on, I cannot light any other burners by simply turning them on with the knob...I have to manually ignite each one with the ignitor. I thought this was kinda odd, and after reading about so many ignitors going bad after such a short timespan I thought it best to ask here.

I have 30 days to return the grill, and I may do so if no one else can find any info on it! Its odd that nothing comes up when I type in Lowes item number 271575...

Thanks for any and all input!

• larry_n
    16 years ago

I have the 4 burner natural gas unit. I have the same problem as others. Can't get it to heat over 350 degrees with all burners on. I haven't seen an answer to this problem. There is no regulator in this unit and it doesn't seem to get enough gas. My other BBQ worked OK, so don't think it is the gas line. The flex attach line doesn't have any kinks in it. Any answers to this problem??

• pyro383
    15 years ago

Larry n,

I have the same problem,, I did come to find a kink in the line. I have the 5 burner unit SLG2007DN natural gas. Under the infared where the ng line goes to the distribution pipe there is a 2nd black hose that feeds to the main part of the unit. There is a height difference in the 2 connection points and the hose is kinked due to its length. I am trying to find a shorter hose or much longer and create a service loop on it.

• kmhoos_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

I was seriously considering buying a model 241317 4-burner + side burner -- all parts "stainless steel". A magnet stuck to ALL parts, including the cooking surfaces! I called the customer support line and they admitted that it is "powder-coated" stainless steel-- in other words a microscopic coating of stainless on top of regular steel. You're better off with a painted surface which can be retouched. The bottom line is that Lowe's is bordering on deception when they sell a product like this, and should be called on it.

• larry_n
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the rubber hose. I disconnected that and ran the main flex line directly to the main burner line. This by-passed the side burner. The unit heated up much faster but the temp gauge still did not get past 350 deg. There must be another problem. I am going to check the gas pressure at the end of the flex line. Still seems like there is not enough gas coming through. I could try cooking a steak on it to give it the ultimate test to see how long that takes. It used to take an hour.

• blakepyo
    15 years ago

Guys, everyone says how difficult it is to get replacement parts for the Perfect Flame Grills, and several people mention they 'found non-OEM parts online' or 'the phone number for NexGrill' is in the manual. Would it be TOO much to ask, for those of us who are not pyschic or no longer have the manual, to actually include in your post the website address where the parts can be found or the actual phone number to call?

I have a Perfect Flam grill with a defective valve, which prevents any of the burners from lighting, rendering it useless (6 months old).

Any help in locating a replacement valve would be appreciated!

• david_reaves
    15 years ago

I bought one today, seems nice enough. I'm not getting as much pressure from the household Propane line as I think I should, but the old grill had a similar problem.

The fit and finish seems pretty good, and everything works as assembled by Lowes. I haven't cooked anything yet, but I did run it through the 20-minute burn-in to get rid of any manufacturing solvents.

The only problem I've had so far is related to the rotisserie. The bracket with the recommended kit doesn't fit. It was also missing the forks when I opened to assemble. The forks are easy enough, but the manual doesn't have a part shown for the rotisserie bracket that is grill specific.

I've found a couple of references that say that this grill (Lowes #271575, Model E3520-LPG) is manufactured by Nexgrill. I left a message for customer service on the website www.nexgrill.net (the link below). They don't have anything specific on the page that mentions the Lowes grill, though.

The number in my manual is: 800-444-6742 and is in the US, Eastern Time Zone.

• riverbaby66
    15 years ago

I also just purchased the split lid E3520 grill and the recommended rotissiere from Lowes, which is a Jenn Aire product. As stated before, it does not fit this grill. The mount for the motor does not line up with the screw holes on the grill and I do not want to drill into my brand new grill. If anyone knows what to do about this, let me know.
    Thanks

• larry_n
    15 years ago

I still haven't found out why my NG BBQ will not get hotter than 350deg. I now suspect the control valves may have the wrong orifices. If they are the ones for propane they would have a smaller orifice and would cause such a problem. Has anyone determined that this may be the cause? It would seem there would be a notice on this if this is true. It is not a safety issue so a recall may not be required.

• larry_n
    15 years ago

I removed one of the valves and found the orifice marked as 1.4mm., that is about .055 inches. Information I have found on the internet about NG orifices says this should be around .078 inches. That may be the reason it is not getting hotter. I will do more checking with BBQ suppliers.

• jeffstkbkr
    15 years ago

My grill just went up in flames. I don't know why. I was cooking steaks at 550 deg. I had them on for just a few minutes on one side flipped them over and after a minute or so on the second side the undercoating of the lid caught on fire and dropped on my steaks. Too bad it wasn't hot dogs!

I am so shocked, I don't know what to do with the grill now! By the way, I have used the grill without any of the above problems for 9 months.

• brookst45_sbcglobal_net
    15 years ago

At first I loved my perfect flame 3 burner grill. Now it is barely a year old and I have used it probably less than 20 times and all three burners are cracked and spew flames. Customer service is terrible. There is a ten year warranty on the burners but they will do nothing without a reciept. To totally insult you with "enjoy your grill!" at the end of every email as part of the corrispondance. I would love to "enjoy my grill" if it f__ing worked.

• rnlong
    15 years ago

My "Perfect Flame" grill did the same thing jeffstkbkr. It was a perfect flame all right I just did not think it was going to incenerate itself as well as the ribs I had on it. Now after a thorough cleaning it no longer will light 4 burners at once. I can get two to light but they barely get hot.

• spa61
    15 years ago

Perfect Flame bbqs are a dangerous product m'fctrd by BBQTek. The 'customer service' is insulting, at best. My 1 1/2 year old grill caught fire while in normal use. The knobs melded to the metal behind it. Everything in the utility drawer was incinerated. Everything is burned beyond recognition within the shell. After viewing my photos and receipt, they were 'proud to offer me replacement parts at a 50% discount'!! What incredible nerve! There have been recalls on other PF units and I plan to contact Consumer Product Safety Commission and anyone else I can dig up. I will also go back to Lowe's with my emails from the company and see if they will make good now (they had me call the company) since this is their 'house brand'. I see I am not the only one with this sort of incident. Keep calling the company and report it to whatever agencies you can. They can't keep putting people and their homes in danger.

• sircharlz_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I bought the SLG2006c grill from Lowes about 2 years ago. Customer service is a JOKE. All of my burners cracked and broke in less than a year. The grill sucks. STEER CLEAR. "Perfect Flame" does not stack up to "Char Broil" and other grill manufacturers. Only buy "Perfect" Flame if you want a perfect disaster.

• ksham24_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

to brookst45

Mine did the exact same thing and have gotten knowwhere with anybody on this.

• jojochet
    15 years ago

In August of 2006, my parents bought a SLG2006CN Perfect Flame 5 burner model for my husband's big birthday. The night after first using it, we were awakened by our neighbor banging on our door to tell us the grill was on fire. Long story short is that the Lowe's had improperly assembled the natural gas line. They replaced it, but our own plumber found the same assembly defect in the new grill. We had it fixed and have used it with no problem until Sunday - Father's Day. My husband turned the grill on and went inside. Within minutes, there was a roaring fire in the grill which was spewing black smoke out the back and from under the hood. Immediately we turned off the gas, leaving the hood closed...but after several long minutes during which we could hear metal buckling, the fire was only partly diminished, so my husband pulled out the utility drawer. Everything in there was on fire. We were able to douse it with water.

These stories seem to be about various models of Perfect Flame grills - has anyone else had trouble with this particular model? Is anyone interested in a class action???

• grillmama
    15 years ago

We purchased the Perfect Flame 4-Burner LP Gas Grill at Lowes in May of 2007. Model number SLG2007B. After 13 months all four of the burners have rotted out and we need to replace the bracket they attach to because we cannot get the bolts off. The grill was used 2-3 times per week and kept covered when not in use. The replacement parts are not carried by Lowes and they have to be special ordered to the tune of about $160.00. We purchased this grill, cover and tank for about $350.00. We have purchased less expensive grills at Lowes in the past and they have lasted 2-3 years and were not covered on our patio. I am very dissapointed in the Perfect Flame. I would rather buy a less expensive grill and replace it every year or two if necessary.

• brent1826
    15 years ago

Ok, I work at Lowes and sell these grills. What I'm about to say, I mean in the nicest way possible. I will try to help you. Honestly. You just have to listen. I may try to joke around a may be a little sarcastic, but I promise I want to help you.

Ok first of all....5 burners going out at once? I find that hard to believe. have you ever heard of a regulator? They cost $20 and are about as hard to put on as a water hose. At my store, we usually have extras lying around and unless you are a complete a-hole , I'll give you one if I have one.

Rotisserie problems.....we only sell one and it's universal fit. Like one size fits all gloves.They fit some better than others. If a rotisserie was custom made, it would cost much more (see Jenn Air). I did a chicken like this once and with all the time and pulling the guts out and the taste....well now I just get them at the grocery store for $5...maybe you guys are better at it than me.

Burners rusting/needing parts later.....they are imports from China. Lowes has no book or website for getting parts. You must keep that manual.That is your only reference.There are books and websites for CharBroil, Jenn Air and Weber. Sorry but thats just the way it is. YOU bought a cheap grill thats hard to get parts for. You really do get what you pay for.Now if you come in and arent a complete a-hole, we will usually try to find a way to help you. Now here's a tip, listen close. You come in on Saturday July 5th at noon, we are probably gonna be super busy. Not trying to tell you how to shop but if you come in on a tuesday at 8am or even 3pm, you'll probably get more attention to your problem. That probably angers some of you, but again, I'm just trying to help you.

Did you keep the reciept? That helps.....that shows you bought it from us and that you are a customer and gives us a reference as to what you bought and when.Dont just assume we have all your info in some mythical computer that shows everything that every citizen has ever bought. Can you imagine what the ACLU would do if we tried to have one? Jesus. WHo has a computer like this anyway. It's not our job to keep up with you business. Dont just say I bought it last year and then describe something that no one has ever heard of.

Ok get ready cause this is inside info. IF you gotta a reciept, and we still sell the model in question, we CAN order replacement parts. We would need the serial number. If one of our floor models gets damaged and if some scum bag steals parts off of it, this is one way we replace them. This can be done for you, but only a certain employee can do it. I'm not gonna tell you who cause I've probably said enough to get me fired,but they dont work on weekends.Just keep in mind though, legally as the warranty is written, the warranty is between YOU and PERFECT FLAME. I know that angers some but that is the truth. I dont think I should have to pay for cheese on my whopper if they take all the veggies off, but I dont set policy at Burger KIng.

Flames shooting out......Ok this is a safety issue. We will always take back something like this unless it's like 20 years old or something. Reciepts help, but arent always necessary. Stuff like this is always investigated. We dont want anyone getting hurt. This is how recalls happen.We are always more than happy to assist you with this, even at noon on July 5th.

Dont try to rig anything. It voids your warranty. We arent allowed to help you rig it either.

Rust......rust is the oxidation of metal when exposed to moisture. Moisture can come from direct contact with water, humidity from the air or gosh darn it....did you know that propane has trace elements of H2O in it? Now i'm just a lowly clerk....I cant control the weather....yet. But we sell covers starting at$12. Can't really do anything about the humidity except maybe move to Arizona. I dont know what else to tell you but a cheap grill has cheap stainless steel. Cheap stainless steel will rust. Spend more for quality or buy one that isnt stainless.

Just a theory but since propane is a by product from the production of gasoline and some gases are better than others.......could there maybe be better qualities of propane. I asking really. Maybe some brands have more moisture in them.

All this being said, we sell hundreds with no problem at all.But as someone who sells them, there are many more problems with perfect flame.

Caveat emptor.

Hopefully this helps someone. Weber is the way to go if you ask me.

• deere1937
    15 years ago

Run, don't walk, away from Perfect Flame. My gill caught fire this evening. The whole thing is ruined. Aside from the grill the worst damage was char marks on my deck. I was doing ribs on low heat, went inside to get a Coke and came back out to find flames coming from under the hood. I shut the gas off at the tank but it just kept getting hotter. The sides of the hood melted and burned. Does anyone know if they use magnisium in the construction of these grills? It looked like there was a flare going off and water just made it worse. I think I'll go with a Jenn Air or Weber next time. "Perfect Flame" indeed!

• seant.mo
    15 years ago

Hey I want to thank everyone, especially the lowes guy for being honest about these grills! I am trying to buy one for my dad today and I was shopping for hours. Everywhere I went (Home Depot, Lowes, Costco, Sears) No one knew anything about these damn grills. They were looking at it just like me, not knowing anything about them, and simply reading off the sales card. That was a bit frusterating but after reading this site, I have certainly decided NOT to go with a perfect flame grill. Does anyone have any info on KENMORE?? That was my next choice, because a good propane weber with a side burner is $700 and I was looking to spend around 500 or so.

Thanks again!

-Sean

• kentuckyred
    15 years ago

First, I love the post by Brent1826; love it! I almost went into a mild panic while reading some of these postings since I just purchased mine a few hours ago. I purchased model 276964L; 4 burner with side burner. Mine was made in Ontario, Canada by a company called Onward Manufacturing Company; it seems they make gas grills for many of the biggest names in gas grills.. so that eased my mind a bit.. for now.
    If anyone has any other information on this particular grill, I would deeply appreciate any feedback!!

• brent1826
    15 years ago

Yes Sean, I also worked at Sears through 3 presidential administrations. Kenmore....there is no Kenmore. Someone else makes them and Sears just puts their sticker on everything. When I was there, Sunbeam made alot of them, but they also had some that were cheap imports as well. The trick is finding someone in Sears that knows what they are talking about. Good luck with that. The same situation applies here that would apply to Lowes grills. You'll get what you pay for.

As far as parts down the road. "Kenmore" probably wont be as hard to get as Perfect flame. Just dont expext to be able to walk in Sears and get parts. They'll send you over to that parts house. Or you can call that 800 number in the sky. 1 800 366 7278. WOW can you believe I still remember the number after being gone for 4 years? I wouldnt call them though. My GOD, you wanna talk about ineffiency. They DO have a pretty good user friendly parts site. Here's the kicker, you gotta keep the manual. It has your model number. Some grills may have the number, but not all did when I was there.Plus , who knows how much longer Sears will be around. Have you seen their stock prices lately? I sold all of mine at $170 a share. It was $74 today. If you knew the things I knew about Sears. Cheap bastards. They dont know how to treat people.

Weber is a great choice. What do you wanna use the side burner for? Lowe's has Webers on their website that we dont carry in stores. Check that out. If you really gotta have a side burner, we sell a free standing side burner for $119. You will not go wrong with weber, I promise. Dont look at it as $200 for a side burner, it's $200 for quality and piece of mind. Find out who makes the Kenmore you are interested in. That is the catylist in this equation.

Char-Broil makes a pretty good grill. Parts are pretty easy to get, and there are 2 at Lowes that fit your price point.
    Check out the 271572. it has a sideburner and it's $499.

Hope this helps.

• ckw67_mgwnet_com
    15 years ago

My Perfect Flame Grill SLG2006B all of my burners burned out which caused the grill to catch fire. I have been on hold for bbqtech for hrs now they require a reciept from 2 yrs ago, and now they said they have lost it. The thing that sucks is 2 of my neighbors bought the same grill and had the same problem. I guess I will have to suck it up and buy some other kind of grill. I have been reading and man everyone has had problems

• info_egs_bz
    15 years ago

"Posted by deere1937 (My Page) on Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 21:59

Run, don't walk, away from Perfect Flame. My gill caught fire this evening. The whole thing is ruined. Aside from the grill the worst damage was char marks on my deck. I was doing ribs on low heat, went inside to get a Coke and came back out to find flames coming from under the hood. I shut the gas off at the tank but it just kept getting hotter. The sides of the hood melted and burned. Does anyone know if they use magnisium in the construction of these grills? It looked like there was a flare going off and water just made it worse. I think I'll go with a Jenn Air or Weber next time. "Perfect Flame" indeed!"

To answer the question, Yes, and against the recomendations of employees, the Owner himself decided to save money by using an Magnesium Alloy instead of real Aluminum.

• fredericks
    15 years ago

I have been on this website for over an hour; reading all these postings about the Perfect Flame grills. All these were about gas grills; I didn't see anything on charcoal grills, so I guess I will start that discussion.
    My wife and son bought a Perfect Flame grill from where else, Lowes. They got it home and on Fathers Day, I took it out from under the blanket that was hiding it (too big for wrapping paper, lol). I had the pleasure of putting it together. As I took it out of the box; matching each part to the parts list in the manual, I noticed two parts that were bent. I looked at the box; but there were no dings and the parts were between styrofoam, so I concluded that it happened before shipping. No big deal; I put it together anyway. After I got it together; I thought it looked real sharp and I decided to test it a couple times, before inviting friends for dinner. The only problem that I encountered; was that the charcoal pan was not exactly level and nothing I could do would get it exactly level, but it didn't really affect the performance. So; I invited my friends over for dinner. They all commented on how sharp my grill looked and asked all kinds of questions, since they had never heard the name before. I lit off the charcoal and went in the house for the steaks (3" thick Porterhouse). When I came back out; the paint on the grill had caught fire. By the time all was said and done; the door to the charcoal pan was warped, the rubber caps on the tops of the legs were completely melted, and the paint was burned off the front of the grill and on the lid, as well as inside the grill. The grill was made of a thin metal and I don't think they used high temp paint on it.
    The grill looks terrible; but it is still functional, so I am still using it. But after reading all these posts; I have come to the conclusion that I will most likely have to replace it by the time grilling season starts next year. From now on; I will be getting either a Weber or Char-Broil. I had a Char-Broil dual function grill for three years and loved it. I was able to use either charcoal or propane; all I had to do was remove the charcoal pan and put in the burner guard (to keep the grease off the hot burner). I would like to find another one of those if I can; but from the looks of things, I will have to get a charcoal grill and a seperate propane grill.
    Either way; I will never get a Perfect Flame grill again.

• brent1826
    15 years ago

FYI there is a recall on 2 perfect flame grills right now. One is a safety recall. One is the $299 split lid with rotisserie.

And with charcoal grills, if the paint caught fire, it got too hot.Plain simple fact. Now what caused it to get too hot.....thats anyones guess.Cheap paint? Maybe, not enough info to comment on. Was it the grill with the marble top? Or was it the grill with the fire pan that you can raise and lower? Were you cooking with wood or charcoal? If it was wood, what type of wood were you using? Lighter fluid or no? If it was the grill with the raising heat pan and you used fluid, fluid can miss the pan and just lay in the bottom. With the intense heat ABOVE the pool of fluid, you have an explosion waiting to happen. Just one theory.

Not many problems with charcoal though. We probably sell 100 gas grills for every 1 charcoal. And that being said, i've seen webers come back with burned off paint. A 700 to 800 degree fire doesnt care how much you paid for the grill....the paint is coming off.

If nothing else, you I really encourage you to take it back to Lowes in case there is some sort of safety flaw. That is how we learn about recalls. Dont be the guy who says he kept cooking on it AFTER he had a close call.

• phesen
    15 years ago

buy cheap and what you get is cheap. This grill was awesome for about three months. It is however, very cheaply made and rusts out quickly and there are no replacement parts at Lowes - customer service is non existant. In my opinion, spend the extra $100 and get something that will last more than one season.

• cheesefood
    15 years ago

I owe this site $650. I was ready to go out and buy that $650 NG split top grill this morning, but HELLZ NAW!

I'd also like to respond to Brent, the Lowes guy:

1. Lowes does have a Database on EVERYTHING you buy from them. I work in database marketing for a major company and I can tell you without question that Lowes spends millions of dollars maintaining a database on everything you purchase. If you buy something online from them they also know everything you browse. This is not an ACLU issue because it is their right to know how their customers purchase. It's called "Market Basket Analysis" if you'd like to read up for more info.

2. We expect Lowes to maintain its brand image by selling us only good quality merchandise at all price levels. I go to Lowes expecting to find quality merchandise, not the cheapest stuff out there. I can go to Wallymart or a flea market and buy a gas grill but I want the selection offered by Lowes. It's like the difference between buying a used car at a Lexus dealership vs a local used car lot. I'm not going to find a $2,000 car at the Lexus lot, but I know whatever car I buy (and whichever brand) it will run and be free of defects, because that's the experience offered by the Lexus brand.

3. I expect my grill to run the way it is marketed. Stainless should mean stainless, as in "will not rust". It should be able to operate at any heat range it can output. Why make a grill that can get to 700' when it melts at that temp? Why sell a rotisserie that doesn't work perfectly? Why should I need additional regulators and pieces of equipment?

4. I expect great service every day and every hour you are open. You are being paid to help customers. Leave your bad attitude at home. The Lowes experience should include friendly, helpful associates who take time to help a customer. I put myself through college working at Menards and now I have an MBA and I have learned that helping customers is what makes a business successful.

• timnbren
    15 years ago

Our Perfect Flame grill worked great till last night, it melted.
    It was NOT the recalled model.
    It was model SLG2006C and we purchased it in July 2006.
    I started 2 of the 5 burners, 7 minutes later it was in flames shooting out from all sides. The knobs and sides melted.
    Today I took the grill and receipt back to Lowe's and they gave me a full store credit.
    Good luck to everyone else.

• cld1955
    15 years ago

I had a grill fire on 08/04/2008 one day prior to product recall. This item was brought at Lowes and manufactured by Lucas Innovations. As you can see by the photo album there was some property damage to the new deck and vinyl siding. Lowes accepts no responsibility for defective merchandise it sells other then issuing a full refund of the item. Lucas Innovations says that as I temporarily stepped away from the grill I voided the warranty. They are not taking responsibility for manufacturing a hazardous item, made with hoses that are too thin, and grill pans with too much magnesium. A normal household fire extinguisher could not put out the fire and intense heat from a fire 6" away from the house melted the vinyl. The Fire Department put out the fire with a special extinguisher.
    As I seacrhed the web for information on this grill I noticed that there are over 175 "reported" fire with the CPSC whow ifich I reported to. But there are a multitude of forums where there have been fires from not only this grill but other Perfect Flame Grills also.
    I would like to know if you had a fire, Did you report it to the CPSC, did you have property damage, did you return you grill to Lowes (I still have mine), did you contact Lucas Innovations? Do you have photos?
    Please respond to carol1955@aol.com

• cld1955
    15 years ago

This is the final answer I received from Lucas Innovations, needless to say with the damage done amounting to approximately $3000.00 to siding & deck; other action will have to be taken.

See photo's here:

http://carols-corner1.spaces.live.com/?lc=1033

After looking at the pictures, our organization concludes that the grill property damage is not covered under warranty. From the pictures we can see that the grill was left unattended for extended amount of time.

As indicated in the users manual the grill should NEVER, under any circumstance be left alone when it is in use and must not be placed under any overhead enclosures and combustible items and surfaces should be at least 24 inches away from the grill at all times.

If you have your owner's manual, you can read on page 3 and 4 regarding warranty coverage, it states:

WARNING

1. This grill is for outside use only. It should not be used in a building, garage or any other enclosed area.

2. The use of alcohol, prescription or non-prescription drugs may impair an individuals ability to properly assemble or safely operate this appliance.

3. Always open the grill lid carefully and slowly as heat and steam trapped within the grill could cause severe burns.

4. Always place your grill on a hard and level surface far away from combustible materials and structures. An asphalt or blacktop surface may not be acceptable for this purpose.

5. Do not leave a lit grill unattended.

6. Keep children and pets away from the grill at all times.

7. This is not a tabletop grill. Do not place this grill on any type of tabletop surface.

8. Do not use the grill in high winds.

9. This grill must be used with propane gas only (propane gas cylinder not included).

10. Do not attempt to attach this grill to the self-contained propane system of a camper, trailer, motor home or house.

11. Do not use charcoal or lighter fluid.

12 Do not use gasoline, kerosene or alcohol for lighting. The LP-gas supply cylinder must be constructed and marked in accordance with the specifications for propane gas cylinders of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) CFR 49.

13. This outdoor gas appliance is not intended to be installed in or on recreation vehicles and/or boats.

14. Do not attempt to move the grill while it is lit.

15. Do not use the grill unless it is COMPLETELY assembled and all parts are securely fastened and tightened.

16. Keep combustible items and surfaces at least 24 inches away from the grill at all times. DO NOT use this gas grill or any gas product under any overhead enclosure or near any unprotected combustible constructions.

17. Do not use in an explosive atmosphere. Keep grill area clear and free from combustible materials, gasoline and other flammable vapors and liquids.

18. Do not attempt to use or assemble with missing or damaged parts. Contact customer service for replacement part.

CAUTION-Prevention of Burns

1. To avoid burns, do not touch metal parts of the grill until they have completely cooled for at least 45 minutes or unless you are wearing protective gear such as pot holders, protective gloves or mittens.

2. Do not alter the grill in any manner.

3. Clean and inspect the hose before each use. If there is evidence of abrasion, wear, cuts or leaks, the hose must be replaced prior to operation. The replacement hose assembly should be in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

4. Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.

5. Never keep a filled gas container in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which could open the relief valve and allow gas to escape. Safe Locations For Use Of This Outdoor Grill

DANGER

Never use this outdoor grill inside any building, garage, shed or breezeway, or inside any boat, trailer or recreational vehicle to prevent a possible fire and to prevent the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning or asphyxiation.

WARNINGS

Do not use this appliance under overhead combustible surface or covered area (e.g., awnings, umbrellas, porches or gazeboes).

Always confirm that this grill is not positioned under the overhang of a house, a garage or other structure before lighting it.

An overhang will serve to deflect flare-ups and radiated heat into the structure itself, which could result in a fire.

Always confirm that this grill is positioned more than 24 inches (61 cm) away from any combustible materials or surface before lighting it, and that no gasoline or other volatile substances are stored in the vicinity of this grill.

(See diagram to right). The temperature of a grease fire or of the radiated heat might otherwise be sufficient to ignite nearby combustible or volatile substances.

Always locate this grill where there will be ample combustion and ventilation air, but never position it in the direct path of a strong wind.

Never allow the grill to operate while unattended to prevent uncontrolled grease fires from erupting.

Never attempt to move this grill while it is in operation or while it is still hot to prevent possible personal injury.

Never store or use gasoline or other flammable or volatile substances in the vicinity of this grill or in the vicinity of any other heat-generating appliance because of the danger of starting a fire.

Always confirm that the installation of this grill conforms with the requirements of all local codes or, in the absence of applicable local codes, with either the National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223. NFPA 54 or CAN/CGA-B149.2.

Sam Bedi

Customer Service Representative

Tel: 1-877-885-8227 ext.202

Fax: 1-877-925-8203

sam@bbqtek.com
    www.bbqtek.com

• ki6up
    15 years ago

I just bought the Perfect Flame charcoal version from Lowes. I love cooking on a wood fire or at least charcoal, not gas. I am certainly impressed with the quality of the grill especially for the price. The adjustable tray allows the fire to be moved close or far away from the meat and the temp gauge is very accurate. I went through the normal seasoning drills and have cooked several meals on the grill. The air flow is adjustable from two top level ports and two side windows. A heavy front door is very nice, heavy and allows access to the fire. With all air flow closed, the grill runs at the upper end of the minimum heat desired for slow cooking and smoking dinner. I love the heavy duty coated grates the meat lays on and the cooking area is very big and allows for a bunch of food to cook at once. So far, I am very happy and impressed with this grill. I have been a Weber man for 20 years, and this perfect flame grill has moved into first place. Highly recommend this grill.

• rhead
    14 years ago

Good Morning!
    Does anyone know how to get replacement parts for the Perfect Flame Model # 2010. This is also know as the R2D2 due to its shape. Its a great grill for the two of us. However I need to replace the burner plate ( goes over the flame ) and I cannot find one and Lowes isn't able to help either
    Thanks!

• hkarns_charter_net
    14 years ago

I purchased a 3 burner Perfect Flame grill in September 2007. I loved the way it grilled but the stainless discolored on the front. The burner (all 3) cracked and or burned out this spring. I contacted the Lowes and they put me in touch with the warranty company. I was not impressed with the customer service of the warranty company(they wanted to charge me $30 to replace my burners under warranty). I contacted Lowes again and told them I was not happy about the $30 shipping and handling and they said bring the grill back with receipt and they would replace the grill. I have to say Lowes handled the return without a problem and I purchased a new grill from them the same day. I think if cleaning the inside of the grill make sure the burners are cooled off all the way this should extend the life of the burners.

• mpdts_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

We just received our replacement parts from slg recall lucas innovations on model 2007A. they replaced the burners and the lid. it took many phone calls and much patience and information. the recall center phone number is 1-888-840-9590. be prepared to wait and wait and wait.....
    the company is a lowes copany - l.g. sourcing. n. wilkesboro north carolina (lucas innovation) they will send a form to you to fill out - it says you promise to dispose of the old stuff. hope this helps someone out there.

• pamcary_centurylink_net
    12 years ago

We purchased this grill in 2004 or 2005. We liked the double cook area, and it looked like a great grill for the price Lowes was asking. It was also assembled....big plus. We have been so pleased with this grill. We can cook two separate items at the same time due to the split lid. The burners light each time even after the years we've had it. It heats up quickly and cooks food nicely. We are very happy with our grill. We never received any recall notice. Maybe it was not for our model. The only problem we have is the stainless steel front rusts. I clean it up with a scrubber and wax it. So far so good. Was wondering there is anything else I should be doing to maintain the stainless?

• grw_wiltsie_net
    12 years ago

I have been reading the reviews on the "Perfect Flame" gas grills. I am a hard core griller/BBQ'er with a penchant for keeping an eye out for old or used grills in good shape, that some idiot has decided to toss rather than restore. I live in upstate NY and grill outdoors year round.

I usually grill on my Weber Genesis 3000, about which I only have one complaint. I think I bought it in the late 1990's or 2000, and to date have had to replace the porcelein flavorizor bars and grills with stainless once, the burner tubes once and the thermometer two times. This grill simply won't die!!!! It just keeps on going and going and ............... I was warned before I bought it that I might find that it would last longer than I expected and that I might not be able to convince my wife to replace it as quickly as I might want to. Well I was warned......

That being said, with my Weber 3000, a Brinkman Side by Side charcoal smoker/grill, and a bullet wet smoker, I was looking at rehabbing a Perfect Flame I ran across for free if I wanted to pick it up. These reviews have led me to conclude that I probably should not interfere with that grill's arranged trip to the scrap dealer. I am better of keeping an eye out for another Weber "project grill" or some esoteric one like a "Traeger Grill" http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQ075 or a "Green Egg" http://www.biggreenegg.com/grillandsmokeMore.html .

Thanks for the warnings!!!!

• apg-shop_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Run as fast as you can away from this grille. It is total junk. My rotted/rusted from the inside out and it lasted 1 summer. Complete garbage.

• knmancon_aol_com
    12 years ago

My advise is to stay away. This is not a very durable grill. My belief is that the Chinese manufacturer has used a stainless steel but forgot to add the nickel to its content. It rusts very quickly. I talked to people at Lowe's but they were clueless simply suggested to use CLR. that did not work. My burners just stopped functioning but everything looks OK, no leaks, no OPD issue, no problem with venturis, has me stumped. Solution will be a new grill and my primary criteria will be "Made in US."

• dhemstock
    12 years ago

I bought the Model GSC3318 for my husband for Father's Day in 2005 or 2006. This grill has served us well through MANY big BBQ gatherings. We've used it to serve up to 80 people! I haven't been happy with the finish, especially the left surface (facing the BBQ) that started turning old-looking right away. We had a problem with the grease-catcher bowl missing its targeted drips for awhile. Finally figured out that there was something in the way and remedied that. But we've had no problems with the actual use of the unit. We've used the rotisserie (just for pork loin) and it worked perfectly. It's now fall of 2011 and have just had our first real problem: the burner tubes are splitting. So I'm off to Lowe's to see what they carry or what they're going to tell me. Considering all the use we've gotten out of this BBQ in six years, I think we've had a pretty good deal.

• msuox
    11 years ago

This posting is well after the fact, but an FYI on top of the hours worth of testimonials above to confirm the Perfect Flame GSC 3318 (side by side lids)was a complete waste of money. Contrary to that implied by the Lowes salesman, I did not purchase this unit because of price, I was furnishing a new house and simply liked the arrangement and size of the unit. Having had punted Home Depot years earlier to become a loyal Lowes customer based on their merchandise quality and customer service, it did not seem necessary to do a whole bunch of research. My mistake.

I purchased this grill in July of 2006 as a floor model. From the first use forward, the left hand side would light, then flash and whistle; kind of like the backflash sound of an acetylene torch. Due to my work load at the time, I had not time to pursue a fix and figured it was probably a simple adjustment. As winter approached, it was clear the heat output on the working side was not sufficient to offset the northern Michigan winter temperatures, and eventually I abandoned the grill on my front porch until now, fall of 2012. Oh, yes, as our Lowes friend suggested, I purchased a cover with the grill so it would be protected even though it was stainless steel and its home was a covered porch. Even so, the rusting "stainless" steel reared its ugly head about two years after this "grill" attained decoration status as a result of the high-quality cover I purchased dry rotting and blowing into the front yard.

So, six and one half years after the fact, my wive and I wheeled it into the garage and I was about to attempt to fix this engineering wonder and tribute to global trade, but after searching for a manual and reading an hours worth of negative postings,I am considering otherwise. Has anybody out there come to a similar juncture and successfully reconditioned or should I say rebuilt a similar unit with aftermarket parts? Anybody have a link to an owners manual? Mine is probably at the same location as my receipt, which is currently MIA along with all of my other paperwork from 2006.

Anyways, that is my experience to date. Congrats to those who did not get taken and have similar grills that work correctly. Shame on Lowes for joining or at least repeating Home Depot's race to the bottom with this product.

• egarlington
    9 years ago

Where can I purchase the smoker tray for my Perfect Flame E3520. Love my Grill, had it for 7 years and it still cooks great.

• dhemstock
    9 years ago

You can probably find it at amazon or one of the other links that I found on this page: http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=Perfect%20Flame%20E3520%20smoker%20tray&s_it=keyword_rollover&ie=UTF-8&VR=3430

• dhemstock
    9 years ago

And if you can't access that link, try this one: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Perfect+Flame+E3520+smoker+tray

Sponsored