SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulsajeff

Brisket Question

TulsaJeff
21 years ago

I have a question concerning brisket which may seem elementary to some but I will ask nonetheless...

Having never smoked brisket before (yes it's true) just chicken and pork mainly, I have decided to do it this weekend. I bought a 13 lb untrimmed brisket only to discover it is about 6 inches to long for my vertical rack smoker. I did some research and found out it was ok to cut it in half separating heel from toe perpendicular to the grain. I now have something like 2 6.5 lb briskets.

Now for the question: Will the total cooking time for both now be that equal to a 6.5 lb brisket? I can only assume that the cooking time is figured according to the size of the brisket and the time it takes the heat to reach and cook/tenderize the center at 200°-225°. At the standard 1-1.5 hrs per lb this would be around 9 hrs for one of the halves. If I put the other one on the rack below will it change the cooking time any?

Thanks in advance for freeing my mind from confusion;-)... I haven't had my coffee and donuts this morning either so that could partially be the blame for my inability to reason this out myself in a somewhat logical manner...

Jeff

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus